Making the change-over from Physical Media.

I stopped buying CDs a few years ago and have never looked back. The only thing that has prevented me from selling off my CDs is the thought of the hassle of unloading 2200+ of them. If someone would just come and pay me a bundle to take them all away I'd be a happy man. :) I've got some rare stuff too... Carisma, Mystere de Notre Dame, Dividing Horizons, Sunblaze, Gone... if it was an obscure 90s Prog Metal album I probably have it.

Would love to see some of that stuff. Always looking for good source materials for possible future reissues on my label. Email me if you want.

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. About two years ago, I began buying my music exclusively in a downloadable format. I prefer to buy music through Bandcamp. I like their interface, their use of PayPal, the way they compensate artists, and that I can get FLAC files. Unfortunately, not all bands make their music available through Bandcamp. If I can't get my music through Bandcamp, I buy it through Amazon. However, when I buy my music through Amazon, I don't download it from them. I simply use Amazon as my way of compensating the artist and the label. Instead I find a torrent of the FLAC files. With all the talk of people downloading lower quality files illegally, the truth is torrent sites offer higher quality files than Apple, Google and Amazon.

I also just agreed with an online buyer to purchase my entire CD collection. As soon as finish it ripping it all to FLAC (200 more CDs to go), I will be CD free.

The answer is don't stop buying CD's or vinyl. They're just too cool not to have. Also, is there a thread somewhere like in the Lounge where people are selling or buying CD's? If not one is needed. I know some people like me will never give up physical media. I'm a comic book geek too, with well over 30,000 books. So I like to hold things in my hand. Anyways a thread to sell/buy would be useful as I do buy albums from time to time that I'll never get to and would sell for cheaper than I bought them.

I also just agreed with an online buyer to purchase my entire CD collection.

Any details you'd like to share? How did you find such a buyer? What are they paying? Anything above shipping costs?

I'm moving soon, and given that I made the change-over from physical media and stopped adding to the collection over a decade ago, it seems rather pointless to bring them with. I figured I had waited too long and passed the window of opportunity where there would be any person to transfer them to besides the garbage man, but apparently there still may be other options?

If I can't get my music through Bandcamp, I buy it through Amazon. However, when I buy my music through Amazon, I don't download it from them. I simply use Amazon as my way of compensating the artist and the label. Instead I find a torrent of the FLAC files. With all the talk of people downloading lower quality files illegally, the truth is torrent sites offer higher quality files than Apple, Google and Amazon.

Very, very cool of you to go to the effort of paying for it even though you're going to look for a higher-quality download via torrent. Kudos!

I've also download stuff via torrents...but it's stuff I own on vinyl (and a few cassettes). The way I look at it is that I DO own it. I paid for the right to listen to the music, but rather than going to the ass-ache of digitizing my vinyl (and having all the artifacts that go along with 30-year-old vinyl), I simply found them on torrent sites.

I honestly can't say for certain the legality of it, but it *seems* like it should be legal. At a minimum I think it's morally OK since I did pay for the music.

The answer is don't stop buying CD's or vinyl. They're just too cool not to have. Also, is there a thread somewhere like in the Lounge where people are selling or buying CD's? If not one is needed. I know some people like me will never give up physical media. I'm a comic book geek too, with well over 30,000 books. So I like to hold things in my hand. Anyways a thread to sell/buy would be useful as I do buy albums from time to time that I'll never get to and would sell for cheaper than I bought them.

I just started a thread in the Lounge. Bring it on!

I'm scared of the day I have to do this.

I have zero mp3s on my computer (if I need to listen to music on my computer, it's all through last.fm or Spotify now) and I got a huge chunk of CDs stolen out of my car a few years ago while I was transporting them/moving.

And agreed with everyone who said they need to physical feel the album. That's exactly what it is for me. I like to hold it, read the liner notes, and just know there's something physically there. Sounds pretty strange when I type it out. . .

Any details you'd like to share? How did you find such a buyer? What are they paying?
It's not much. I think they're giving me $1,700 for 1,100 CDs, minus shipping costs, minus $0.35 per CD case that's damaged. It's a company on the web called Second Spin.

I don't know why, but every time someone goes completely digital, I get a little turned on.
:devil:

Very, very cool of you to go to the effort of paying for it even though you're going to look for a higher-quality download via torrent. Kudos!
It would make me a total hypocrite if I stole music. Plus, it's a small price to pay for my righteous indignation. :loco:

I've also download stuff via torrents...but it's stuff I own on vinyl (and a few cassettes). The way I look at it is that I DO own it. I paid for the right to listen to the music, but rather than going to the ass-ache of digitizing my vinyl (and having all the artifacts that go along with 30-year-old vinyl), I simply found them on torrent sites.
I had never done this, until I started going through the exercise of ripping my CDs. There were records I KNOW I purchased on cassette and/or CD, that I shouldn't have to re-buy.

I'm scared of the day I have to do this.
Is is a total pain in the ass.

And agreed with everyone who said they need to physical feel the album. That's exactly what it is for me. I like to hold it, read the liner notes, and just know there's something physically there. Sounds pretty strange when I type it out. . .
Ironically, I think digital downloads can do more to enhance this experience than CDs. I can Google the lyrics in a more readable format than exists on the tiny CD print. I can embed artwork into my digital files that looks better and larger than the CD. If people want to stick with vinyl because of some if its benefits, I get that. But holding onto your tiny, unfeeling CDs? I'm not sure I see the benefit.

If you're an android user, I highly recommend google play music. You can upload all of the digital files you already posses to the cloud and have access to them anywhere. Beyond that, it's a combination of spotify/pandora and itunes/amazon mp3. You can stream anything just to check it out and listen to radio stations like the first two, but then, if you'd like to support an artist that you enjoy, you can go in and purchase the album or individual songs just like the latter two. Best of both worlds IMHO.

If you're not an android user... I'm sorry.

I've stopped buying CDs and now just pick up albums on vinyl. Many come with a code to get a digital copy or a physical CD. It actually initially caused my spending to go up a lot so I've been limited to 1 a month. Even before the move I really was no longer buying CDs the last few years.

Pretty much steam everything while not at home.

Be sure to check out 7digital. Almost all of the music they sell is available in both MP3 320 and M4A 320 formats. If you bought the album, you can download both formats at no extra charge. They sell FLAC for a couple bucks more. I usually just stick with MP3/M4A 320 format. Remember too most car stereos will accept MP3, whereas M4A or FLAC not so much.

https://us.7digital.com/

You can easily rip your existing CDs to MP3. I'd recommend using LAME with the --preset insane setting. That will get you a MP3 320 CBR rip. If you're a windows user, check out Exact Audio Copy. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

For ease of use check out the iTunes app http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ . Ripping your existing catalog to MP3 doesn't get any easier than that. Personally I do prefer LAME and/or EAC (Exact Audio Copy), but if you just want to get 'er dun fast without having to learn how to do it then iTunes app will do it for you. Its sort of a "MP3 ripper for dummies". Be sure to go into the app's preferences and set the rip quality to the highest you can set, and for maximum portability (eg car stereos) set it to MP3, not M4A/AAC.

Any details you'd like to share? How did you find such a buyer? What are they paying? Anything above shipping costs?

I'm moving soon, and given that I made the change-over from physical media and stopped adding to the collection over a decade ago, it seems rather pointless to bring them with. I figured I had waited too long and passed the window of opportunity where there would be any person to transfer them to besides the garbage man, but apparently there still may be other options?

Email me a list if you have it. tribunalrecords@aol.com

vultureman.jpg

Hey fellas... I'd be up for some of that "taking off your hands" action too :)