Manowar: Yay or Nay

TheGrim69er

Oct 7, 2004
Just wandering but whats everyones opinion on manowar, me I like them they kick fuckin arse, and anybody who says they don't well just sucks.
So I was wondering what is everyone else's opinion of them.

Psychonaut said:
They're a cool band. I'm not too keen on the newest album because of all the ballads but the rockers are great. Great live show!
Not for me. I don't mind some cheese, but they take it too far. They are plain silly to me. I can't take them serious.

bryant

Their music isn't trash or anything but its kind of... "nothing special here."
Ever since they proclaimed themselves "The Kings of Metal" I've actively hated them, which makes me naturally adverse to their music. To compound the problem, they say stupid things in interviews like: when asked about their thoughts on the new metal scene they reply, "There is no good new metal." I read that big fat slab of idiocy and wanted to slap the crap out of him. :yow: :zombie: :bah:

I'm somewhat 'in the middle'.

Back in the 80s, I was really into the "Fighting the World" album. Although - in typical late 80s fashion - it's terribly overproduced, the songs just kick ass. The lyrics are silly, but I tend to overlook that. And Eric Adams has a great voice.

When "Kings of Metal" was released, I wasn't too impressed. There were relaly only two or three great tunes, and the rest was filler, in my view.

So I gave up on them. For years.

Fast-forward to the summer of 2004. I tune into Eddie Trunk's "Friday Night Rocks" and I find myself in the middle of a great song - one that instantly catches me - which I realize can be none other than Manowar (Eric Adama voice is unmistakable).
Very RARELY do I hear somethig for the first time & really "get it". But this I did. And the track was named "Dark Avenger". Simply awesome.

I was so impressed that I immediately rushed out to buyt "Battle Hymns". Previously, I'd never heard any of Manowar's early albums, but this record just kills. I love the simple, yet extremmely catchy & melodic hooks. Just a classic metal record.

So, I then went out & picked up "Sign of the Hammer". Good album, but not nearly as strong as "Battle Hymns". So, I'm not sure if I should even bother with "Hail to England" or "Into Glory Ride". I've read many mixed reviews on both.

As for the newer stuff, what I've heard has been really sappy, contrived and, for lack of a better term, 'artificial sounding'. Not for me.

Bryant said:
Not for me. I don't mind some cheese, but they take it too far. They are plain silly to me. I can't take them serious.

bryant

I'm with Bryant on this one. Way to much cheese and no substance...they have their niche and I guess thay are decent at what they do - I just don't happen to find it impressive at all. And their outfits are just so lame...that whole barbarian thing is truly weak...

I love their early work, "Battle Hymns" is one of my alltime favorit albums. but their later stuff wasn't that interesting to me. Not bad, but doesn't give me chills. Their image is too cheesie indeed. I would be more impressed if they play a good song in jeans and T-shirt than in their barbarian outfits....

Didn't like their last effort, but I am a fan overall. When everybody else jumps on the latest bandwagon, they play their own brand of bombastic over the top pure metal and they succeed at it. Sure, it's cheesy :D but these guys can play and they've been doing it WAY longer than anybody else. I put Eric Adams up in the Halford class as a singer. :worship:

JonnyD said:
Now Now Now Sonny thats totally the wrong close minded attitude to take about it ... you should open your ears and your mind before your mouth :wave:
Wise words my friend.

Better check out some of their older stuff AntonCrowley_16 :headbang:

Hawk said:
Wise words my friend.

Better check out some of their older stuff AntonCrowley_16 :headbang:
Yes! There is some Manowar I cant Handle and other Manowar that is the reason I love Metal So much They take how I feel and make it music thats powerful shit ... Get "Hell on Stage" and Check out "Gates of Valhalla" :D Also "Into Glory Ride" and "Triumph of Steel" after those check out "Louder than Hell" and "Warriors of the World" is good to but like I said you must listen with an open mind :D

Bryant said:

bryant
Like a stealth bomber, flying under the radar, Bryant "nuked 'em."
I have to agree, with Bryant on this one, they are too over the top, with the gimmicky Barbarian image. I think I owned one record of theirs back in the day, "Fighting the World" on cassette. It was so "epic" that when the cassette shit the bed, well, I didn't bother replacing it...
It just got worst when that Ross "The Boss" joined that Canadian band Manitoba's Wild Kingdom. "The Party Starts Now," I beg to differ....:yuk:

sixxswine said:
Like a stealth bomber, flying under the radar, Bryant "nuked 'em."
I have to agree, with Bryant on this one, they are too over the top, with the gimmicky Barbarian image. I think I owned one record of theirs back in the day, "Fighting the World" on cassette. It was so "epic" that when the cassette shit the bed, well, I didn't bother replacing it...
It just got worst when that Ross "The Boss" joined that Canadian band Manitoba's Wild Kingdom. "The Party Starts Now," I beg to differ....:yuk:

Fighting the world is the worst possible example of their musicial prowess IMO ofcourse But what can I say I like my cheese the stronger the better

Well...yay and nay...

Yay - for the great songs and Eric's voice (probably among the Top10 metal vocalists of all time) :headbang:

Nay - for all the nonsense they're capable of saying and doing (anybody seen that weight lifting from Hell On Earth 3? :yuk: )