Manticora, Circus Maximus, Circle II Circle- tour '07/'08

um... did you guys actually take the day off? hahahah. the forum was SOOOOOO boring today. wow, i'm gonna go ahead and go to bed early.

Haha, yeah, i've been in Seattle all weekend at practice as well as watching movies and playing video games with my beers. Plus i don't feel like recognizing what i see as RoJ's cries for attention / trying to be badass and "pwn" me.

wow... tha's lame. REALLY lame. any idea why? you don't think intromental heeded our warnings do you? i really wanted to see circus maximus.

"It is with deep regret that I announce that CIRCUS MAXIMUS have canceled their upcoming North American tour. This decision was made only yesterday by the band after receiving an offer to participate on a high-profile European tour that interferes with the logistics of the North American tour.

"I would like to apologize profusely to the fans and promoters that have supported our efforts in booking this tour. Both Hoyt (booking director) and I have worked extremely hard over these past few months to make this tour a reality. We are more disappointed, disillusioned, and frustrated than anyone regarding the recent turn of events. I'm afraid that I will not comment further on the situation out of my professional responsibility."

"Isolate", the sophomore album from CIRCUS MAXIMUS, entered the Norwegian chart at position No. 70 (No. 33 on the chart featuring only Norwegian artists).

Released in the U.S. on September 4 via Sensory Records, "Isolate"'s lyrical concept deals with "how much you can lose until you go completely mad, and how much have lost when insanity finally embraces you," the group recently said. "It's really up to the listener (and reader ...) to interpret the story themselves, because it can be understood in different ways and we don't want to spoil the surprise."

Majorly fucked up. I was pretty happy to see this "tour" stop in Chicago, on a night that I could actually GO.
Mucho respect for the promoters, I know this won't be their last endeavor....

I dunno that it's fucked up... obviously don't know the whole story, but from that thing it seems like they're getting butthurt because CM wants to go with something that will be more of a "sure thing" for them instead of something that is going to lose them money. I get the impression that they (promoters) are pissed off at CM's decision if not the band themselves... and i can understand since they worked hard. But Harvestmeister should know better than anyone that business isn't run on favors, and any band would be ridiculously silly to pass up something that would be more beneficial to them in the short term (and possibly long term) than go wandering out into the states, the most expensive market to tour, and play to essentially what is already their fanbase which is not terribly large at the moment.

I'd post that on the PP forums, but ascension already said as much (and rather eloquently if i do say so myself) and got a week ban, which i find a bit silly.

And again, all of this is speculation and i really don't care enough about any of it to have it concern me. I just have some time to kill.

WHat I meant by fucked up is, like when you see a head on accident, and see windsheild pudding and go "Whoah, that's fucked up!"

I in no way meant to say Harveston or Hoyt "fucked up". The music biz is a shitty biz, and things like this are going to happen. It really sucks for Intromental USA since it was their first stab (outside of Glenn doing Prog Power) at trying to get bands like this over here. It just seems like Glenn has had a bad run of luck with bands going off and doing other tours (Nevermore is a FINE example). I'm sure this was a learning experience for all involved.

As for Ascension, I don't think he deserved a month ban. I think he just rubbed Glenn the wrong way, at a bad time. Everybody has the ability to rub someone the wrong way at some point, but Ascension has sort of made it an art form. :) I say that being a victim of this as well as chuckling at some of his posts stirring up the shit on various forums. Most of the time, he and I are of the same mindset on certain topics.

Fuck! There goes my response that i had all typed out *grumbles*.

Suffice it to say, i understand exactly what you mean, but again (and this rant is based on speculation... again i understand that i DO NOT know the full state of events on any of these points i mention... though i think my guesses are pretty good) i think CM taking the tour that is going to help them more than have them lose money is a very fucking smart move. it's business, and bands back out of one thing to pick up another all the time.

The other thing i've noticed is that Glenn seems to take a lot of the business stuff he does very personally. This isn't to discredit him, defame him, call him a bad guy, any of the above. He's done a great job to build up progpower, so more power to him... he knows what works. Still, from what i've seen he gets very pissy when a band backs out, and rightfully so. But again, it happens ALL THE TIME in this business. Look at any given year for Wacken open air... bands are added, dropped off, scrambles happen at the last second (i went to one Wacken where they had to find a replacement band literally the day before the performance AFTER the festival had begun because one of the bands scheduled to play kicked a member out the day before they played). It's part of the business, and it's just business, nothing. You brought up Nevermore and i'm glad you did, because that's a perfect example of what i mean. He's basically blacklisted the band from ever playing progpower, which is fine. I highly doubt Nevermore needs the exposure so much as Glenn needs them to bring asses to the seats. Again, i know he sells out or gets close every year and has got a very devoted following, but notice that Nevermore dropped off that year, Jorn replaced him and that was the first year in a long time that didn't sell out (got close, but close isn't selling out). I've met those dudes in nevermore many times and they're cool as hell and definitely not the type that would be malicious or intentionally try to fuck someone, but i can't think of any underground band that wouldn't pass up one festival show for the opportunity to open for a band like Disturbed (who suck yes, but point being...). I just don't think it's smart for ones business to take business decisions so personally, but again that's his choice to make, not mine.

Also, i should point out that if Glenn is, in fact, getting pissy at CM for changing plans... well, that's just silly because he's part of Intromental Management who manages CM... that company should be happy that their bands are making progress........ right? Both Nevermore and CM are cases of should a band play to their already established fans or should they go for a broader spectrum and try to get more fans so they have bigger opportunities. But i can empathize with Glenn and the rest of Intromental... it's a tough blow to take.

Anyway, again i really don't care about this. Just some interesting observations which could all very possibly be completely off base. I'm also very gassy this evening.

You know what? I say that someone should just call whoever put together the Sym X/Into Eternity/Epicfail tour and be like "What the fuck is Epica doing on this tour and not CM?"

I think part of it has to do with the fact that Glenn/Hoyt/Intro spent over 6 months working on this.

That's valuable time, and I'd be pissed too if I worked on something 6 months only to have nothing come from it. I think most people understand CM's reasons, it's just normal to be ticked off about it.

At least it wasn't handled like the Nightwish tour cancellation - with no word from anyone why it was cancelled.

Well...I did find it odd to be on the recieving end of a ban when basically all I did was offer a scenario/solution that should have happened when CIIC withdrew. I didn't mean it as an insult or slight in any way. Anybody that is involved in chaotic environments knows you have to have alternative plans of action in case a salvage job has to be done. Most times you have to think "outside the box". Apparently, Intromentals box is just a little too tight...and they felt the situation was just not worth saving. I would think anything worth starting is worth saving especially when it may reflect on reputation...but that's me. As far as the people involved in Intromental...a suit of armor may be needed. In business, if you take things too personal...alot of butthurt is on the way. It's just business. Was I insensitive? LOL...what am I known for? But, in this case...my rep preceded me. Oh well...

Well...I did find it odd to be on the recieving end of a ban when basically all I did was offer a scenario/solution that should have happened when CIIC withdrew. I didn't mean it as an insult or slight in any way. Anybody that is involved in chaotic environments knows you have to have alternative plans of action in case a salvage job has to be done. Most times you have to think "outside the box". Apparently, Intromentals box is just a little too tight...and they felt the situation was just not worth saving. I would think anything worth starting is worth saving especially when it may reflect on reputation...but that's me. As far as the people involved in Intromental...a suit of armor may be needed. In business, if you take things too personal...alot of butthurt is on the way. It's just business. Was I insensitive? LOL...what am I known for? But, in this case...my rep preceded me. Oh well...

I thought you handled it really well to be honest. I saw glenn's response first and thought "oh jesus, what did he do" and then was quite surprised when i saw you said... well, pretty much exactly what i figure is right on. I applaud you my friend.

Still, from what i've seen he gets very pissy when a band backs out, and rightfully so. But again, it happens ALL THE TIME in this business. Look at any given year for Wacken open air... bands are added, dropped off, scrambles happen at the last second (i went to one Wacken where they had to find a replacement band literally the day before the performance AFTER the festival had begun because one of the bands scheduled to play kicked a member out the day before they played). It's part of the business, and it's just business, nothing.

Well, one thing to take into account w/Wacken is that at least any replacement band is on the same continent, but, a scramble is a scramble.
I just think it's easier for a much bigger fest like Wacken to find replacements, especially when both fests are culling bands from the same geographic area.

You brought up Nevermore and i'm glad you did, because that's a perfect example of what i mean. He's basically blacklisted the band from ever playing progpower, which is fine. I highly doubt Nevermore needs the exposure so much as Glenn needs them to bring asses to the seats. Again, i know he sells out or gets close every year and has got a very devoted following, but notice that Nevermore dropped off that year, Jorn replaced him and that was the first year in a long time that didn't sell out (got close, but close isn't selling out).

In Nevermore's case it's been 3 times. IMO, that's enough chances to have some random "oppertunity" cause them to bail on Glenn's fest. As far as who needs who more, I'd say it's a moot point since Nevermore tours throughout the US on a regular basis. Yeah, they are a big name, but they don't have that unique factor, at least for me, that might draw in someone sitting on the fence deciding whether or not to attend PP. It may bring in the casual metal fan, but that's a different demographic...The special Jorn set was pretty cool, and I didn't miss Nevermore one bit. (I DO like them!). Having Sy-X replace Nevermore @ the first PP was a huge blessing in disguise for everyone involved, IMO. Glenn was only 6 tickets (IIRC) away from a sell out. I think he could make that lost revenue back in T-Shirt sales, and I'm fairly certain that those 6 seats didn't have more than a sentimental "sell out" value.

Also, i should point out that if Glenn is, in fact, getting pissy at CM for changing plans... well, that's just silly because he's part of Intromental Management who manages CM... that company should be happy that their bands are making progress........ right? Both Nevermore and CM are cases of should a band play to their already established fans or should they go for a broader spectrum and try to get more fans so they have bigger opportunities. But i can empathize with Glenn and the rest of Intromental... it's a tough blow to take.

I agree that CM's success should still be pleasing to their mgmt company, but this was kind of a self contained tour. It's all intromental bands. There weren't other people with their hand in the pie, like you would have if CM went out on the road with say a DT or a Metallica, or something. I don't know the finances behind any of this, so, since the bands & their managements do, I'll just have to be disappointed that I won't have a chance to see this, and leave it to the band and management to make the right decisions.

Anyway, again i really don't care about this. Just some interesting observations which could all very possibly be completely off base. I'm also very gassy this evening.

Yeah you do, :heh: and let me send you some zip-loc bags for that "problem" :lol:

You know what? I say that someone should just call whoever put together the Sym X/Into Eternity/Epicfail tour and be like "What the fuck is Epica doing on this tour and not CM?"

I'd LOVE to see CM & Sy-X on the same tour. :headbang::kickass:

Actually I can't find anything to disagree with you about here. I just wonder if the CM bailage was something internal, that just twisted Glenn the wrong way. Still though, I do believe banning you was inappropriate, and I thought your reponse there was pretty neutral, and non-aggressive.

J dubs, i fucking love you man haha. Great points, and all very fair and well presented. I stand by what i said, but you're absolutely right about a lot of that stuff.

And Nevermore would have brought something special... i heard rumor that among other things they were going to perform Dreaming Neon Black in its entirety... :cry: But yeah, 3 times is a bit harsh.

I still think the whole business is silly and such, but hopefully (as millions of people have said) it is used as a learning experience and they Intromental guys bounce back. And hopefully they see it as a blessing in disguise because i really think re-assessing the tour and bringing it back with more power and doing it properly instead of trying to "salvage" it will be better for all involved. I may be skeptical about some things, but in the end there is nothing that makes me happier than metal of any kind making an impact and being a success, even on a small scale.

Also, since i've only been a naysayer, i want to say a serious big kudos to GH and the rest of intromental for even doing this in the first place... regardless of if they are doing it the "correct" way or not, they're fucking doing something to bring metal to people which is way more than can be said for the vast majority of us. Anyway, enough speculation from me, just keep the metal spirit alive and keep it flowing. :kickass:

Circle II Circle will be doing a one-off show.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...b-2nd-exclusive-atlanta-show.html#post6820102

framebandname.jpg

is confirmed for an exclusive one-night-only Atlanta show Saturday Feb 2nd
with Halcyon Way, Odin's Court, and Eclipsed by Sanity in support!

The Local venue in Marietta, GA will be hosting this event
produced by Pathfinder Promotions
with special Thanks to Glenn Harveston!

ticket information to come - stay tuned!

According to the Circus Maximus myspace page, they will be opening for SX in Europe.

Guess we know why they canceled their US mini-tour. Maybe they should think about touring that package over here, or I should just go over there.

Bummer....that was the only thing I had put on my calendar so far for the next couple of months. ESPECIALLY because I know who was supposed to be opening for some of the US dates. I wasn't near a computer when all this came out so I don't know what/how much was said about it and I apologize for dredging it up.