March of Progress - latest news

Finally completed the mix and sent the album off to get it authored for a master yesterday. That will be done by Peter van’t Riet as usual. Nuclear Blast requested physical masters for both CD and vinyl, so that will be a first for Threshold. Upon delivery it should be roughly 12 weeks to release.

I’m not sure that the amount of time between releases has any relevance, but many changes happened during the course of the last 5 years that lead to this album. To that extent I find it hard to say how that this recording relates to previous albums, but the band are never the best people to judge that. Richard is the only other person to have heard it so far and we are both very happy with the result.

There is 75 minutes of music on March of Progress and plenty of variation. The fact that Pete, Damian and Steve contributed to writing makes this album different from the last two. I hope you enjoy it and we can get on with another with less of a break.

Well vinyl is really for the cover being much larger, although I like the sound with a good turntable. Maybe not the best thing if you have small children!

Well vinyl is really for the cover being much larger, although I like the sound with a good turntable. Maybe not the best thing if you have small children!

ahaha, exactly! Anyway, the cover-being-much-larger thing is the main reason I'd love to have Hypothetical on vynil (and the ONLY reason we have Maiden's no prayer for the dying) :Spin:

That might not be beyond the realms of possibility. Nuclear Blast did a deal for the back catalogue of Threshold and it allows for the release of vinyl on all albums.

That might not be beyond the realms of possibility. Nuclear Blast did a deal for the back catalogue of Threshold and it allows for the release of vinyl on all albums.

That's cool! In my humble opinion, Clone would be the Threshold album that could gain most from an lp format, sonically speaking. Perhaps it's because Rich used the organ a lot! :tickled:

Finally completed the mix and sent the album off to get it authored for a master yesterday. That will be done by Peter van’t Riet as usual. Nuclear Blast requested physical masters for both CD and vinyl, so that will be a first for Threshold. Upon delivery it should be roughly 12 weeks to release.

I’m not sure that the amount of time between releases has any relevance, but many changes happened during the course of the last 5 years that lead to this album. To that extent I find it hard to say how that this recording relates to previous albums, but the band are never the best people to judge that. Richard is the only other person to have heard it so far and we are both very happy with the result.

There is 75 minutes of music on March of Progress and plenty of variation. The fact that Pete, Damian and Steve contributed to writing makes this album different from the last two. I hope you enjoy it and we can get on with another with less of a break.

Karl, if this is really you, I can only look forward to another great Threshold album. Although I do prefer Mac's vocals (may he rest in peace), I must also acknowledge Damian's technical qualities as a lead singer.

By the way, I was wondering: is there any unreleased material from the Mac years possibly in the pipeline? Or have you already issued everything there is from that era?

With best regards from a longtime Brazilian Threshold fan..!

Cheers

We have always endeavoured to release only the best quality possible on both studio and fan club albums. So I do have some other recordings still unused with Mac, but would not wish to tarnish his memory.

When the Paradox box set was put together, it was quite an exhaustive process and we took everything that was of sufficient quality to complete it. I know there is a complete recording of his second gig at the Astoria in London, but the recording quality is dreadful and distorted at best.

Damian has done some of his best work on the new Threshold album and I look forward to it coming out. The master is complete and Nuclear Blast will have it this week.

I know there is a complete recording of his second gig at the Astoria in London, but the recording quality is dreadful and distorted at best.

Is it the same recording of the Latent Gene featured on the multimedia section of Concert In Paris?
That song sounds pretty bad for a live album, but would be a decent bootleg. The problem is that bands usually DON'T release bootlegs - apart from Symphony X and that nearly-awful bonus dvd on Paradise Lost.
But if you think the performance is ok, and it does justice to Mac (and the rest of the band) it would be a nice and welcome extra for a future direct to fan cd - even just some songs, not necessarily the whole cd.
So, if this is the set we mean, I'd love to hear him singing Lovelorn, Life's Too Good, Goodbye Mother Earth and Voyager II.

(yes, I'm a huge fan of Clone! :D)

That version of Latent Gene is from that very show, but I'm not sure what the source was. I made a rough mix from the multitrack for other band members to hear, or it could be a mixing desk recording. The recording isn't to the standard I would agree to release though. I don't recall the quality of Mac's performance because I have not heard it in over 10 years.

Mac's contribution to Threshold's history is highly thought of by both band and fans, but now is a new era and we plan to move on.

That version of Latent Gene is from that very show, but I'm not sure what the source was. I made a rough mix from the multitrack for other band members to hear, or it could be a mixing desk recording. The recording isn't to the standard I would agree to release though. I don't recall the quality of Mac's performance because I have not heard it in over 10 years.

Mac's contribution to Threshold's history is highly thought of by both band and fans, but now is a new era and we plan to move on.

Karl,

thanks for the kind replies; as said above, I am absolutely sure that the latest album with Damian will be great, and look forward to seeing Threshold moving on in the best possible manner. Mac's premature passing was, indeed, a terrible loss for the world of progressive metal, but life must go on.

On a different note, do you guys have any idea already of touring schedules for 2012? Any chance of passing by Switzerland (where I currently work)?

And another last question: considering how underrated Threshold has been, do you intend to try a stronger media/advertising push for this new album?

I started looking at what could be done for a Clone Special Edition a few years ago when it looked like we would get the rights back. That did not come off at the time, but it was a challenge even then. Now that Mac is sadly no longer here, it is even more difficult. I believe there would have to be some major repair work to any material we have, or an alternative version with new recordings. There were no tracks left over from the sessions or demos. When Nuclear Blast want to put this one out I will look at it again.

There are no touring plans as yet. The album was exhausting to schedule and took a lot longer than planned. Also there are many active side projects with band members at the moment and it would be hard to co-ordinate. Threshold toured extensively with Dead Reckoning and it is an expensive and time-consuming exercise. I think we all enjoy playing live, so I expect there will be further shows when possible.

I'm sure there will be something extra if we release a special edition of Clone. Of course, it depends on the record company's perspective as well. Whether recording a different vocalist on original recordings sits well is a different matter though. It feels a little disrespectful whichever singer first sang them.

Glynn is still alive and well. He appeared on Threshold's Paradox - The Singles Collection in 2009 with 2 new recordings.