Marriage - where to draw the line and why?

Norsemaiden

barbarian
Dec 12, 2005
Britain
Personally I would say people may as well marry whatever and/or whomever they want to unless the other person/thing objects. Marriage used to have a real purpose - strengthening the extended family and providing a basis for rearing children. Those days have sadly gone.

Marriage is not exclusive to religious people and existed before people believed in God (although our ancestors did believe in gods).

Marriage is often a way of assuring a partner of the sincerity of your feelings or for someone who is insecure to claim some sort of posession over another person.

And marriage is often all about the tax breaks and how to save money compared to cohabitation.

And marriage is also a way to give the finger to convention and to society and to destroy marriage itself. That has succeeded.

How about this?
Over time, I began preferring sex with my computer over sex with real women. Naturally, I 'fell in love' with my computer and preferred having sex with it over all other persons or things, as a result of classic conditioning upon orgasm.
http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2014/05/florida_man_wants_to_marry_my.php

I am friends with a woman, who, if it were legal, would get married to her male dog

And, yes, i really am actually referring to a human female having penis-in-vagina sex (every other day) with her male dog

That is the reason I don't like the concept of official, legal marriage.
You can't draw a line between what constitutes as real marriage, and what does not.
If you let two people marry, then I feel that the right thing to do would be to allow anyone and anything to marry. Then, though, you would have thousands of people attempting to marry objects.
That would be a waste of time. It would be wrong to prohibit the marriage of a person and and object if you allow two people to marry, though, so I think that the best idea is to not have marriages represented or controlled legally. Then you get into the problem of money and who shares what and how much is shared. The only practical reason to get married is for financial reasons.