Marshall 30th anniversary 6100

The other guitar player in my band has one of these. Super easy to record, Love the second channel boosted with an SD-1 or a Rat, the third is pretty good for leads but a bit honky for anything else ime but that could just be down to the tubes currently in it. Great amp.

I used to own the EL-34 model that's more "sought after," like yours. It was a cool amp, but I was never wow'd by it, ended up selling it and bought something different, never really missed it. Ended up picking up the 6L6 on the cheap a while back and REALLY dug that one. If you're using it for metal, the LM (6L6) version totally kicks the EL-34 one's ass, IMO. Ended up selling that amp for almost twice what I paid for it, so it was worth the sale... but I've been on the watch for another at a good price ever since.

If you get a chance, you should definitely check out the 6100LM. I'm not even a big fan of most 6L6 amps (I usually put EL-34s in them, if they can take them), but that one was awesome.

Congrats to your new amp!
Bought one of those new back when it came out and still have it. Black Tolex, EL34, non-LM, I guess it has been the first run. It looks the same as the one on the linked photos.
It's a beast with more features that one can ever think of.

AFAIK, the LM is not 6L6, but 5881.

The lead channel on mine is a little undefined for rhythm guitar work (but it's called "lead", isn't it?). The crunch channel in the modes A and B is awesome, though. The amp has to be cranked to sound really good.

I need to have a listen to the files when I come home.

@Mickrich: My Presence control barely does anything to the tone (going from 1 to 10 on the 6100 is like going from 1 to 3 on other amps), can you confirm this on your 6100?

congrats man!
i have the limited blue/gold one (EL34). Bought it brand new and don´t think i will ever let it go.

Using this for a session for the first time today.
Channel 2 boosted with ts808 is giving us a fantastic Fear Factory style sound with loads of clarity.
We tried the Triple Rectifier too and the 6100 murdered it for clarity and presence in the mix.
Presence control works fine.
So happy with this amp.

Buddy of mine had the purple tolex head. The cleans on it were unbelievable. His got busted and he sold it on, I didn't have any money to make an offer at the time. My second fave Marshall (after the JVM) but I think the clean is way better on the 6100. Those amps are total unsung heroes, them and the JCM900 SL-X.

Buddy of mine had the purple tolex head. The cleans on it were unbelievable. His got busted and he sold it on, I didn't have any money to make an offer at the time. My second fave Marshall (after the JVM) but I think the clean is way better on the 6100. Those amps are total unsung heroes, them and the JCM900 SL-X.

Own(ed) all three of the amps mentioned here and I agree with all of that. The clean on the 6100 was rather good for a Marshall. The SL-X is a monster of an amp. I've got the JVM now and I'm very happy with it for the time being though.

Had time to really get to know this amp now.
It has amazing pick attack.
The sound jumps out of the cab and through the mix.
I have my eye on an LM model too ;-)
Here is channel 2 boosted with TS808 into recto cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sound jumps out of the cab and through the mix.
You're referring to channel 2 (mode A or B), right?

Are you also noticing how the tone (gain structure, lacking a better word) changes when the volume of the channel (not the gain) changes? It seems to open up a bit when I back off the channel volume and gets fatter when I go higher on the channel volume.

Always saw these as glorified JCM900 even back when they came out... Maybe I'm wrong. No really sure I dig these clips tbh. I'd rather get an SL-X or a MKIII.

Here's a short clip I just made with my 6100.
My little daughter is sleeping downstairs, so I could not mic the cab, but I went through my Palmer PDI-03's line out and a self-made IR of my own Mesa 4x12 Rectifier cab (Black Shadow) that sounds very close to the cab mic'd.
I've used a Charvel 750XL with an EMG-81 directly into the amp, no pedal. No EQing ITB.
The SD2.0 drum track is there to give it some context. No bass though.
Dropbox Link to RiF-6100-LeadCh-Demo.mp3

EDIT: I forgot to say that I've used the lead channel on my non-LM 6100.
EDIT2: I've just noticed that one of the guitars had been panned to the center instead of the right. I'll fix that tomorrow.

Bump for this.
Just used the 6100 for an 80s style thrash album and it beat all my other amps for the sound. Mids fill the mix in just the right places.
Used ts808>6100 CH3>recto cab>57>ISA220>Apogee Ensemble TB

Can't post any samples because the allbum is still in progress but here is Jaymz' Nevermore cover with the same rig.
Sounds really like the Carcass Heartwork sound.
There are conflicting rumours about what was used on Heartwork with 5150 and 6100 being the most probable.
LOVE this head
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/NARCO_6100_TMS.mp3

New clip of the 6100 sounds great. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have recorded my buddies 6100 a good handful of times and have found it really easy to get a great sound down with BUT I have never pulled anything even remotely close to this good out of Channel 3.

I usually use the second channel and boost the shit out of it and that seems to sound the best. I guess in hindsight I havent spent a ton of time tweaking it to get the third channel sounding like this. I recall really struggling to get it to have very much chord definition because of the fuzzier nature of the distortion on that channel. What kind of setting are you using on this clip (back of head settings too) if you dont mind sharing ?