Marshall 800 trade to a Jcm200 DSL?

crillemannen

Jun 20, 2007
www.studiohaga.net
Hello,

I got myself a Jcm800 2204 4ch. from 87 a couple of months ago. I got it mainly because i did an album with a Jcm2000 TSL, and i loved the lead tone we got on that album. The thing is that the 800 was a bit to vintage sounding for my taste, more fuzzy dist when you crank it.
Im not to familiar in the marshall land but someone mailed me for a trade to a Jcm2000 DSL. And i was wondering if anyone got any personal experience with that amp who can shed some light on if it is "modern sounding" enough for my needs. I would use it for leads/solos.

Here is a pic of the Jcm2000:
http://vend.se/file.php/625955

Thanks for the answers!

imho the dsl is just about the same direction as a 800er with slightly more gain. for modern stuff I'd use your Mesa/boogie Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505 or Peavey JSX. I'd keep it for rock stuff, or old-school sounds

hoehlentroll's vid nails the tone. You can back off the gain for closer to a 800's tone and it has a fantastic clean channel. Find out what year it is though. Older models have issues with the PCB and bias drift.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a DSL, really liked it. Sounds miles better than a TSL imo. Deffo more gain and a bit more modern sounding than the 800 (though I fucking love that amp)

A 900 doesn't have a all tube circuit. :err:

Neither does a DSL. And he's saying he prefers the tone from a DSL. Oh and for that matter, if you put a tubescreamer in front of your amp, your tone is no longer all tube either.

If he prefers the tone of a DSL, the solid-state diode clipping in the DSL is going to be a large part of the reason why, imho.

EDIT: Ah, no. Actually I'm wrong. The DSL and TSL do not use diode clipping. They only use diodes in the channel switching system.