Marshall Powerbrake

Aug 16, 2002
Richmond, Va
Visit site
Anyone use/own one of these? I'm planning on trying to save up and get a Marshall stack sometime over the next year or so, and I plan on getting a Powerbrake as well. Do these work (attenuate enough) for playing at bedroom level? I'm hoping that I can use it to practice in my apartment. Thanks in advance.

I've heard so many horror stories (I have no experience with it) about the Marshall Powerbrake that I would never even get close to it, for fear of it blowing up. What I can tell you about is the THD Hotplate. This one works really well in a bar or rehearsal, for example. You can get the tubes cooking and it sounds pretty natural at a very reasonable volume. About bedroom playing, I think it would lose a lot of dynamics. But I guess that it would sound better than having your amp's volume on 1.

an alternative is to remove some of the power tubes from the amp.

For example, I have my Mesa boogie triple rectifier, which has 6x6l6 tubes, and to reduce the power from 150 watts to 50 watts, i remove 4 of those tubes.

If its still too loud then maybe try something like the powerbrake/

Im aware that there are a few similar products, and some of them are supposed to be more effective than the powerbreak in retaining a nice sound, but then again ive never tried anything like this.