Votes: 5 29.4%
  • not good...a complete mess

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • piss poor....waste of time and money

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by The Wanderer
Marshalls are good for some styles and tones, and shit for others. totally depends on what you are tying to get. the only marshalls i really like re the JCM 2000. as far as plug and play amps go, you can get good tone from those. i think rack systems are better in the long run though. more control.

Stay Away From Rack!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO you can get the best tone only out of a good Head and a Heavy Loaded Cab...

try to hear the sound of 'tallica on Ride The Lightnening, is a JCM 800 + Ibanez TubeScreamer........this is one of the best trash tone ever...

It a question of Dynamic, rack lack of Dynamic...and AMp Modeller too...

When the sound come to the A/D converter, it lost a lot of dynamic, an AMP MODELLER sound good only trough flat response solid state amplifier like the pa....

My rack will SMOKE any head out on the market today. At least in my opinion.

It all depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

The sound of Metallica on Ride the lightning is MORE Than just Marshall... it is $100,000 + of quality sound gear at the stuidio.

He could be playing thru a Radio Shack home stereo system and with a good studio, can make it sound impressive.

AMP MODELERS suck BAD. Using one with an all tube power amp MIGHT help thicken the tinny-thin-one dimensional sound you would get, but that's still a long shot.

...but a good rack system can cost 2500$ or plus........and here in Italy for example any Mesa Preamp cost the twice...

Triaxis= 2500euro
Mesa 50/50= 2000euro....

:p

Sorry but I prefer a Good Head with separated stomp boxes...

But yes, with a good rack you can get any sound...my dream rack is...

Triaxis -> G-Forge -> Mesa Simulclass 290

but here in Italy it cost 5000$+ and more....ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S = ...really??? I don't think they spend too much on Ride The Lightnening, the start to spend a lot on Master Of Puppets, when they switch to Boogie

...but a good rack system can cost 2500$ or plus........and here in Italy for example any Mesa Preamp cost the twice...

Triaxis= 2500euro
Mesa 50/50= 2000euro....

:p

Sorry but I prefer a Good Head with separated stomp boxes...

But yes, with a good rack you can get any sound...my dream rack is...

Triaxis -> G-Forge -> Mesa Simulclass 290

but here in Italy it cost 5000$+ and more....ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Ride the Lightning isn't as "produced" as their later albums. Trying to get a live sound the same as a recording is damn near impossible.

Besides, I'm more interested in getting MY tone, not MARSHALL or MESA tone. Nor do I want to sound like Suffocation or Arch Enemy or any other band... Getting your own personal tone out of a head is much more difficult, IMO.

Oh yeah...this is true...but now I prefer a "plug and play" setup...

Wow you're very true, pleased to speak with you, sorry for my english :p

Mmhhh...I have a mesa 20/20 and a shitty beringher used as preamp...it sound good..but you can hear that is digital... :p

I hope to buy a good all valve preamp like the Mesa Studio Pre on Christmas...

Thank you. Your english is fine. ;)

Mesa Studio sounds really nice, but they're getting older, and finding one that doesn't have scratchy pots/knobs, or one that isn't beat up is getting more difficult...

"I"ve had these amplifiers specially made with a volume knob that goes up to 11."

"Why 11? Why can't you just have 10 be louder than anything else?"

"Well, these go to 11."

I know I fucked that up bad, but I had nothing to add to this discussion bvesides the Spinal Tap quote:D

The Zakk Wylde Signature Marshall is nothing like what he actually used. Kinda like Ibanez Jems, and the guitars Steve Vai actually plays...

They don't play off the shelf stuff... Vai's guitars are handmade for him, and Zakk's Marshalls are only marshall faceplates and chassis, everything else is basically thrown away and replaced by a company in Los Angeles... T&L amps or something like that if memory serves me correctly.

All you're doing by buing their signature models, is giving the Artist an extra $100... for something that isn't much different than one of their regular production models, which are crap.

Originally posted by xenophobe
And generally when you stop playing, there is no background hiss at loud volumes.

Lmao like after I saw Meshuggah (Yeah I was dragged to a meshuggah/system of a down concert. Don't ask) the fuckin amp was still hissing CHUGACHUGACHUGA after they played.

Originally posted by xenophobe
The Zakk Wylde Signature Marshall is nothing like what he actually used. Kinda like Ibanez Jems, and the guitars Steve Vai actually plays...

They don't play off the shelf stuff... Vai's guitars are handmade for him, and Zakk's Marshalls are only marshall faceplates and chassis, everything else is basically thrown away and replaced by a company in Los Angeles... T&L amps or something like that if memory serves me correctly.

All you're doing by buing their signature models, is giving the Artist an extra $100... for something that isn't much different than one of their regular production models, which are crap.

Isn't modded by Wizard?