Martin Popoff (BW&BK) GR Review (10.0/10.0)

Austin

Sep 8, 2005
OPETH Ghost Reveries (Roadrunner)

It’s almost hard to believe these damn Opeth record don’t take five years to make, given the cathedrals of sound Mikael and his pensive consortium studiously build monk-like. In fact, Ghost Reveries might be the most complicated of a formidable lot, the album marking the best integration of the Damnation and Deliverance polarities (and of course, it’s closer to Deliverance), Opeth throwing everything tour de forcefully at this record, including all those old school keyboard and synth tones, as within the engulfing oasis mid-‘The Baying Of The Hounds’ and the John Paul Jonesing of ‘Beneath The Mire’. Catchy bits abound, beginning less than two minutes in with Mikael’s first clean vocal over a little tribal crouch, Akerfelt then offering another clean proggy piece a couple minutes into the following ten-minuter, the guy sounding (and thinking) like Dan Swano. ‘Atonement’ finds the band doing Page-Plant, but with full on haunt, full-on production pageantry, while ‘Reverie/Harlequin Forest’ offers another desert trek with a full stop for thirst-slaking, the spirit of Van Der Graaf Generator hovering o’er. And on and on, with calculus-theoretical rhythms and (too standard) death growls exploding and taking up impressive space before the next death row contemplation. I mean, all told, this is actually a pretty mellow album, rife with a certain creative mania (I wouldn’t call it joy) at a gulden opportunity to prove even further and more emphatically, that Opeth can shape-shift mercilessly quickly, stay in the new mode forever or fleetingly, and then ‘ere’s a new pattern to digest. Ultimately, Ghost Reveries is everything writ large, its only shortcoming perhaps being the arbitrary length of songs, and the arguably (but most definitely “sometimes”) arbitrary stacking of parts within them. Still, I can’t see any way not to call the album a 10 – the quality is just too high, and the Opeth sound is so entirely its own, the record’s got that rare uniqueness thing going for it as well.

10.0 Martin Popoff

Are you SURE that's "word-for-word" what he wrote in the magazine? I find that hard to believe that someone would write in such a "poor" manner in a published magazine. I mean, he's a writer....

Still, I read his books and past reviews; NEVER has it been written like this review has. Which, obviously, leaves me skeptical. I never noticed any problems in the past with his writing.

In any case, whatever. I will be BUYING this BW&BK (have been planning on it for a while since it apparently has an opeth cover feature) so I will read it there anyway.

If Martin Popoff gave it a 10, then I must say, it's impressive. This guy gibes Metallica's past albums 10's across the boards it seems and regards Master of Puppets to be the best metal album of all-time. To me, this says alot about what he thinks of GR. And, that in itself earns my respect towards this guy.

I have the BW&BK with Deliverance review in it. He gave it an 8.5 and read a full review (not featured in the mag) that stated he prefers Still Life and BWP alot more. Delierance averaged out to 8.4/10 between around 8 reviewers. I love that about this mag - gives a more honest impression of what they think about albums the more "opinions" are shown towards it.

note:

KERRANG! gave it KKKKK and calls Opeth the best band ever and GR their best album.

TERRORIZER gives the album 9.5/10

Let's face it, with reviews like this and the praise it is receiving, I don't care who you are really...you can't say the album sucks. Because, the truth is, it doesn't. Plain and simple. You can say it isn't the greatest thing ever created, but to flat-out say the album is total garbage is simply "blasphemy."

Well Papoff is probably the most acclaimed writer/reviewer in metal. He's thanked personally in most of the metal albums you love, go look at the liner notes.

As for his writing style, over the past year or so he's gotten a lot looser in terms of using weird slang and spelling. No idea why, but it is annoying. Either way that's the review, copied and pasted from the Brave Worlds website... Check it out:

http://www.bravewords.com/hardwares.html?id=1000895