Masterplan, debut or Aeronautics

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
First off, I'm a big fan of all the members in Masterplan and was quite pleased when they'd joined forces. That said, I've yet to hear an album from them that is on par with their last albums before they formed Masterplan.

I think the debut Masterplan was okay. Nothing too groundbreaking and certainly below any Ark, Beyond Twilight or Helloween circa The Dark Ride. It was so-so, but it was written and produced a bit too quickly and I had hopes for a better disc from them.

So Aeronautics came out a year ago and I've had it on regular rotation hoping it would be a grower, which it didn't. This album actually has better sonic qualities than their first, but songwriting-wise it falls between modern hard rock and more classic Euro power metal. Sure the musicianship is still good and Lande is still one of the best singers ever, but I'm kind of disappointed. Not to mention the lyrics - some of them are beyond cheesy. Almost up to par with Manowar and Hammerfall. Not in meaning, but the way they are contrived and forced to rhyme out with each other. Bleh.

Anway, what do you guys reckon?

NP: Masterplan - Aeronautics

I personally think it blows away the debut album. Its in heavy rotation with me, I love the album and has some of Jorn's best work on it. Dark from the Dying, Falling Sparrow, Treasure World, Crimson Rider and for a very personal reason After this War. I think they will only get better with time.

Bear

Leys just say that if the debut album loved me as much as I loved it, we would be married.

Aeronautics........not so much. It is a good album but not a great album.

batmura said:
First off, I'm a big fan of all the members in Masterplan and was quite pleased when they'd joined forces. That said, I've yet to hear an album from them that is on par with their last albums before they formed Masterplan.

I think the debut Masterplan was okay. Nothing too groundbreaking and certainly below any Ark, Beyond Twilight or Helloween circa The Dark Ride. It was so-so, but it was written and produced a bit too quickly and I had hopes for a better disc from them.

So Aeronautics came out a year ago and I've had it on regular rotation hoping it would be a grower, which it didn't. This album actually has better sonic qualities than their first, but songwriting-wise it falls between modern hard rock and more classic Euro power metal. Sure the musicianship is still good and Lande is still one of the best singers ever, but I'm kind of disappointed. Not to mention the lyrics - some of them are beyond cheesy. Almost up to par with Manowar and Hammerfall. Not in meaning, but the way they are contrived and forced to rhyme out with each other. Bleh.

Anway, what do you guys reckon?

NP: Masterplan - Aeronautics

l liked Aeronautics better myself...Jorn's newest solo effort "The Duke" rocks hard too...great Thin Lizzy cover on it too.

TheWhisper said:
Debut, by a mile...not that 'Aeronautics' is bad, but the debut was a killer, imo.

I reciprocate this sentiment.

However, I feel that the band should have given more credit to Janne Warman on the debut album. Not only did he play all keys, but he also wrote the opening riff to "Kind Hearted Life." Yet, he's mentioned only as a guest musician in the liner notes. I don't think this is a diss to Janne, but a bit of misplaced credit on the composer of the liner notes. Good thing Warman didn't leave Bodom, I think both bands are great with their own members.

FatesFan said:
Leys just say that if the debut album loved me as much as I loved it, we would be married.

Aeronautics........not so much. It is a good album but not a great album.

HEY! Back off!! If anyone is marrying a Masterplan album, it's ME!! :)

I love both but I think I love the debut more.

"Spirit Never Die" is one of my favorite songs from the past few years, but overall I think that I slightly prefer "Aeronautics."

I liked them both for different reasons...I preferred the production on the debut..

(2) things I absolutely hate about most Euro-productions these days!

1. God-awful sampled drums that are perfectly quantized and systemtically set-up to remove any human element whatsoever. Every strike is the same volume, ect and the obvious fake sound of the tracks is an embarrassment to the excellent drummers that played those tracks....such as Uli! He is a fucking great drummer with super-chops, and then the producer steps in and ruins the "real" feel of these songs.
2. The bass guitar is treated as an afterthought and an almost waste of recording dollars. There are so many excellent bass players with excellent tone, and great sense of groove. But you would never know it because they are buried in the mix!

This "formula" is nothing more than engineer's who can't capture good drum tones and are looking for the easy way out with the least amount of time invested. That is why getting to see these bands live is such a treat. Full on production with musicians playing in real time!....Thank god!!

Just my opinion....sorry for the rant!

I prefer the debut but both are excellent cds. I do hope the next one build on these 2 records, plus what the guys have doen in previous bands. I don;t think the best Masterplan cd has come out yet.

Kong said:
I liked them both for different reasons...I preferred the production on the debut..

1. God-awful sampled drums that are perfectly quantized and systemtically set-up to remove any human element whatsoever. Every strike is the same volume, ect and the obvious fake sound of the tracks is an embarrassment to the excellent drummers that played those tracks....such as Uli! He is a fucking great drummer with super-chops, and then the producer steps in and ruins the "real" feel of these songs.
2. The bass guitar is treated as an afterthought and an almost waste of recording dollars. There are so many excellent bass players with excellent tone, and great sense of groove. But you would never know it because they are buried in the mix!

This "formula" is nothing more than engineer's who can't capture good drum tones and are looking for the easy way out with the least amount of time invested. That is why getting to see these bands live is such a treat. Full on production with musicians playing in real time!....Thank god!!

Wow, I wonder...do you play drums...:loco:

How's the new album coming Chris...how soon can we expect some local gigs?:D:headbang:

Since Masterplan is one of, if not my favorite band, it's hard for me to choose between the two albums. I like the debut due to the epic feel to it, but I like Aeronautics because it highlights Jorn more. It's very uplifting and melodic, as well as the Lande/Allen disc.

IMO, Aeronautics could've been a Jorn solo disc, which isn't a bad thing.

If the band doesn't let egoes get in their way, they should be around for a long time. We'll see though.....

Kong said:

Some of my personal favorite production is done on Edguy's Hellfire Club. It sounds raw, yet it's epic at the same time. It's a strange formula, but it seems to work for them. Hopefully the new one is done much the same way.

batmura said:
Not to mention the lyrics - some of them are beyond cheesy. Almost up to par with Manowar and Hammerfall. Not in meaning, but the way they are contrived and forced to rhyme out with each other. Bleh.

I certainly have to agree about some of the lyrics, but I still love Aeronautics. It gets a 9/10 from me. Knocked one point off for the lyric cheese. Once you notice those lyrics, they never seem to go un-noticed on future listens. DOH!!!! I don't have the debut, how does it differ from Aeronautics? I'm guessing it has more of a speedy, formulated, generic European metal/Helloween/Gamma Ray repititous melody-killing double-bass vibe to it, but could be way off. No, I don't own any Gamma Ray.

Jorn's solo CD is my favorite of his efforts. No cheese in that one, or at least none that I could easily smell. Can't wait for the USA release for, "The Duke".