Master's Apprentices

Jun 27, 2003
Am I the only one who thinks Master's Apprentices is one of Opeth's coolest songs? I don't know what I like about it so much but it just kicks ass.

That was the song that REALLY got me into Opeth. I had enjoyed Deliverance (my first album) up until that song started, but when THAT opening riff kicks in I decided I had to have everything by Opeth! It's a fucking HUGE riff!! One of the best ever IMO. Best song on Deliverance I'd say.

BTW, you're one handsome guy.

My first Opeth album was Deliverance, and my favorite songs on it were, in this order, and still are in this order:

Deliverance
Master's Apprentices/By the Pain I See in Others
A Fair Judgment
Wreath

So yeah I like the song but now that I have the other albums I can honestly say that the whole album doesn't compare to the rest. It's amazing and I love the melodies (it is much more melodic than the rest) but in terms of overall quality it's weaker than Opeth's other work.

It's too repetative... the first riff in particular... if it was a hugely varied droning thing like say, the middle of 'Dirge for November', then that would be fine... but they just drone out the same (really simple) riff for a minute or so, with only the vocals slightly changing.

When it goes into that sombre part with the guitar lead though, that's when the song really steps up a notch.

well hey, good to see im not the only one who loves it! oh and by the way TakinTheMusicBack, funny you mention that picture, i found it on uglypeople.com...haha :D

Master's Apprentices definitely has some of Opeth's best acoustic/folk elements. Overall I like Deliverance, but I think By the Pain I see in Others is one of the worst Opeth songs.

Really? I think it is one of their best IMO. Maybe because I have always liked faster drumming (the thrash era of the 80's), this songs kicks ass. Oh and for my two cents, Master's Apprentices was the first Opeth song I heard from them and is what got me hooked.

Matt

DrX said:
Master's Apprentices definitely has some of Opeth's best acoustic/folk elements. Overall I like Deliverance, but I think By the Pain I see in Others is one of the worst Opeth songs.

The beginning seemed to long to me, but then I got into it more. The outro with Martin doing drum fills is great too.