Mastodon

Who gives a shit if Lamb Of God are getting popular and they got an album review from that horrible magazine Rolling Stone *shudders*. I remember them saying that "PAPA ROACH are the saviours of heavy metal: :rolleyes:. My ass. More like a motherfucking disgrace. They're still good even though they're getting some mainstream exposure. I find it hard to believe they're all of a sudden so popular and they're still extreme. No one in the mainstream media gave a shit about them until they released As The Palaces Burn.

I prefer Mastodon over Immolation- its a question of emotion - Mastodon has it with pummeling tenacity- and Immolation is nothing more than a very talented Death Metal Band- where emotion is generally lost in techincality.

MURAI said:
Who gives a shit if Lamb Of God are getting popular and they got an album review from that horrible magazine Rolling Stone *shudders*. I remember them saying that "PAPA ROACH are the saviours of heavy metal: :rolleyes:. My ass. More like a motherfucking disgrace. They're still good even though they're getting some mainstream exposure. I find it hard to believe they're all of a sudden so popular and they're still extreme. No one in the mainstream media gave a shit about them until they released As The Palaces Burn.

I wouldn't say they're receiving huge amounts of mainstream media...Rolling Stone has done reviews on many real metal bands including one of my absolute favorites Soilent Green..I wouldn't necessarily say they're all that popular amongst anyone outside of the metal crowd. They are very much popular amongst the metalheads most definitely..if you don't know who lamb of god are you live under a fucking rock. For God's sake Suffocation were on Mtv2...Some people don't seem to realize that with Jamey Jasta from Hatebreed on Headbangers Ball some of our favorite bands are going to get exposure from Mtv2....And I have 0 problem with that. Everyone has to eat, everyone needs a roof, a car, climate control, and a bed to sleep in at night. And after most of the shit and work the bands we listen to go through they deserve at least that much. If anything props to Mtv for finally giving us an outlet to see metal on tv..Voivod, Strapping Young Lad, Cannibal Corpse and even Dillinger Escape Plan have all received a little love from mtv2 in rhe last few months. But I doubt your boss's at work, teachers at school, or the majority of your classmates or coworkers are headed out to snag their albums right now...

Obviously, Lamb Of God are not as popular as Korn or Linkin Park but they are getting more popular. I dont care about that really cause I like them anyway. Wow Soilent Green were reviewed by Rolling Stone? I guess that shitty magazine does recognize some good metal. I dont have MTV or any music channel so I cant watch any heavy metal videos but... I used to have Much Music and they had this "Loud" program and they played some heavy metal/hardcore I liked.

Heavy Metal Samurai said:
Fucking hell, they aren't that good, anyone would think Jesus had a band called Mastadon.

They are better than most Metalcore but that doesn't say much.

Uhh mastodon are not metalcore...

TheHeretic said:
For those who are interested, Remission is being re-released with a bonus DVD. I am looking foward to that.
Yes yes yes I know!
*boner*
And to whoever said Mastodon are "metalcore"...go play in traffic.

What's wrong with saying Mastodon are metalcore? It's not that hard to see, they are a very hardcore based band. I'd say metalcore is the best fit for them, but it's not an exact fit. Even if they weren't metalcore, who the fuck cares if someone called them metalcore? Metalcore kicks ass.

LuminousAether said:
What's wrong with saying Mastodon are metalcore? It's not that hard to see, they are a very hardcore based band. I'd say metalcore is the best fit for them, but it's not an exact fit. Even if they weren't metalcore, who the fuck cares if someone called them metalcore? Metalcore kicks ass.
True, they do use elements of metalcore but to write them off as nothing but another medicore metalcore band (like I think that other guy was doing) is just ridiculous. They have so much more to offer than that.

Heavy Metal Samurai said:
I quite like these guys, I think they should just become a Death Metal band though, get rid of the Metalcore label and do some real technical Death Metal.

Only the guys vocals spoil it, the band are obviously talented, talented enough to be up there with Immolation and the like.
Why dear god why? Here's an extremely talented band with a sound all of their own, and you want them to become just another technical deathmetal band? I reckon we have quite enough of those as it is. Now, don't get me wrong, am I big, even húge fan of deathmetal and have been so for many years on end. I also think Immolation are awesome. But comparing Mastodon with Immo is like comparing apples and oranges and saying the orange tastes better because the apple doesn't taste like an orange. Does your request of Mastodon going deathmetal also mean they should change their lyrical content from highly emotionally involved to brainless blasphemy and blood-worship? Because exactly thát is one of the main points of criticism I have towards Immolation and their ilk: they SUCK lyrically. Come on, their music is as intelligently heavy as music gets, but filling five albums with childish "I hate god" lyrics is downright óff. Highly connected with this point is also your opinion that Troy Sanders' vocals are the main flaw in Mastodon's music. I totally disagree. His vocals are highly involved, emotional and powerful; not the overly controlled guttural and uninvolved vocal approach of many deathmetal vocalists. Neither is he Mastodon's only vocalist, but that's beside the point.
I''m hoping Mastodon will continue along the path they've chosen with their first two official releases, maybe becoming even more diverse and "progressive". Chances are, however, that the new album will be somewhat of a dissapointment after "Remission" because they have quite something to live up to with that record. I'm curious as to whether they can come up with an entire album of new material of the same high caliber.

tara said:
True, they do use elements of metalcore but to write them off as nothing but another medicore metalcore band (like I think that other guy was doing) is just ridiculous. They have so much more to offer than that.
Again, what's this choice of words? "Another mediocre metalcore band"

Are you suggesting that all metalcore bands are mediocre? That's stupid. Of course many people are not going to like Mastodon, and they will consider them mediocre or terrible. But by your choice of words, metalcore is a "mediocre" style which doesn't make sense as styles are just there, the bands are good, bad, or mediocre regardless of the genre they choose to base themselves in. Your bias against metalcore is showing, and that is weak.