Mastodon

Can't wait to see what happens next with this Jonah Hex stuff and obviously a new album. I'm sorta hoping they go more rock. I know they'll still have that Mastodon sound anyway, so we'll see!

Was reading this interview a couple days ago and Brent said they have stuff recorded from Troy, Brann and Bill from when Brent was recovering, before Crack the Skye. It was going to be used but Brent came in with material that he'd written at home which was used instead for Crack the Skye. So I think they've been working with the material that Troy, Brann and Bill had written, which is meant to be heavy as hell, so I don't think the next one will be in the same direction as Crack the Skye. It sounds like Brent wants to follow a more rock direction after the next album, but we'll see! Really excited for it regardless of what direction they take.

Just remembered where the interview was, so here's parts of it. :p

(Referring to Crack the Skye)

Will your sound develop more into that kind of music or was it just an homage to the “psychedelic days”?

Brent: Yeah, it’s just exactly what you said, we already have our next album written and it’s nothing like that, super dooper dooper heavy. Hopefully we don’t have to wait for two years to release it – we wait two years between every album. It’s a cycle: tour the world for two years, come home, record. Hopefully we can just do a year on this thing, so we can just move on in general. Like I said, our next album is like heavier than anything I’ve ever heard in my life, borderline death metal basically. I’m just so tired of singing that vocally, it fucks my throat up. I smoke a ton of pot… I’d rather sing and it doesn’t hurt, you know?

and

Brent: But yeah, the album is a lot more melodic, just a lot of me sitting around writing those kind of songs with an acoustic at my house. And then those guys wrote like a different album that was like super dooper, super dooper heavy and really fast and crazy – kinda borderline more fucked up than any death metal I’ve ever heard but I wasn’t ready.

And the link if anyone wants to read the whole interview:

http://www.viceland.com/music/2009/02/an-interview-with-mastodons-brent-hinds/

I feel all I read about Mastodon nowadays are just touring US..BLACKDIAMONDSKYE etc. Hoping for the DVD soon tho! You know when Jonah Hex is coming?

Yeah man, no kidding. I'm waiting for some more news on the next album and live DVD. :p There's no other new album by any band that I'd be more excited about than a new Mastodon album. They've got a pretty damn consistent and excellent track record so far, which seems to be a somewhat rare thing around the fifth album mark. I don't know where they'll go from Crack the Skye.

Jonah Hex is scheduled for June 18. I'll be going just for the music. :p

I have the instrumentals off of Crack The Skye, got them when I ordered that special edition version of the album that came in the black album case. If you listen to purely the instrumentals, sans vocals, the album takes on a whole different dynamic.

Listening to the instrumental album the whole through at the moment, and damn you're right! Picking up a few things here and there hidden by the vocals, it's fucking awesome. It's like I'm hearing it for the first time again. Cheers dude. :D