Matt Smith Interview

Verbum Lux

Aug 7, 2011
www.last.fm
This is a great interview indeed, the interviewer knows what questions to ask. Also, I like how the questions are focused on both lyrical depth and musical quality and inspiration.

Despite my best efforts to ignore it for now, I just couldn't help notice this:
Beyond that, we’re just getting ready for shows, and Europe! We’re about to have our second tour over there.
Am I just stupid and is this about last tour or not? (hopes it is not...);)

YES! YES! I hope they do re-mix the first album like he said. This will be epic!

Thank you for posting this

Am I just stupid and is this about last tour or not? (hopes it is not...);)

I saw noticed that too. I'm not sure when this interview was done.

YES! YES! I hope they do re-mix the first album like he said. This will be epic!

Thank you for posting this

I'm pretty excited about that too. I really love the S/T album and I want more people to listen to it.

In a way, I'm glad he's not talking about doing a complete remake. Part of me thinks it would be cool to hear what they could do with it, but it would also be really weird. For all it's rough edges, I still consider Theocracy an awesome album and one of my all-time favorites. So I'm happy with this idea - remix it, add real drums, that kind of thing. And I'll happily buy it when it comes out.

Yeah, I think that making a total remake of the self title would be weird, as the band evolved a lot since the first release.
The first album has something (I don't know what) which would not work with the current Theocracy style I think.
I don't know how to say it, but I think you see what I mean. It has just its own feel as MoS and AtWB have.

They should do what Symphony X did with their song Masquerade... That sort of remix :)

Personally, I'd give anything to get my hands on the original original album. I mean, I got the CD, but being a serious Theocracy fan, I would love to have the original inserts and such. :)

But what I think would be great is if in later albums they would release two or three complete new versions of their best songs from the first album, particularly the title track. I love the title track musically, but the quality and performance are lacking. It seems a shame that the song that was named after the band isn't up to par with MoS or AtwB.

Yeah Theocracy is one of my favourite songs ever... I really love the feel of this song, and the lyrics !!

Awesome interview! And so cool to hear a re-release of Theocracy-Theocracy, I was like "Yes! :danceboy:" I couldn't find that thing any where..

I also like the inspiration (so to speak) of the song AtwB. Truly a great song and a real eye opener to ourselves. It reminded me of this one Christian rapper say in a song that some people say "If God exist and is so good and all powerfull, why doesn't he get rid of all the evil in the world?" And responds "But what is evil? Evil is anything against God. Well what evil do you want to get rid of? Murder? Rape? Stealing?..What about lying and cheating? What about our evil thoughts? Where do you want to stop? The murder level the lying level or the thinking level? If you want to stop evil you gotta be consistent, can't just pick and choose. That means we would all be eliminated. But thankfully Jesus stepped in to save us from ourselves. Turn to Him"

I dunno, it just reminded me of that.

I'm also glad to hear him not switching up (or worrying how much money he'll make) just for the money. Sending good messages to people around the world and helping them make better and positive decisions in life is worth so much more than money. Music is so influential on us. Especially kids. You think how much more time kids spend time listening to music and watching TV vs hanging with family. So who has more influence on them?

Anyway, i'm going all into left field lol. Thanks for sharing your thoughts man! And what some of the songs meant/came from. Great read.

Unless Matt mispoke, I suspect this interview was done in October or earlier. He said "We're about to have our second tour over there" and October 2011 was their second European tour.

It was great to read an interview going into much more depth than most do! Great questions and insightful answers. I learned a lot.

Unless Matt mispoke, I suspect this interview was done in October or earlier. He said "We're about to have our second tour over there" and October 2011 was their second European tour.

I guess you're right, it already sounded implausible to me. Still, >1.5 months for an article to be released is kinda long too.

Great interview, very informative.

On the topic of alleged "Catholic-bashing" in Absolution Day and Nailed, I was kind of frustrated with the bridge of Absolution Day when I first heard it as well, since I believe in penal substitution (I think) but I'm a sacramental Anglican. But I think that people wouldn't feel this way if they didn't connect with Theocray's music at a very deep, spiritual level first: That is exactly what leaves them open to feelings of attack when passages like that come up. For me, it is as simple as realizing that this is not "my" music, no matter how special it may be to me, and it is fundamentally expressing Matt's faith and practice. I guess I just asked myself, "How can I be okay singing my heart out to non-Christian songs about how Christianity is evil or at least unnecessary, and yet feel offended by this?" Puts things in perspective :p

Now Nailed is just a killer song no matter how you put it. Few to no problems there.

Absolution day doesn't say anything against penal substitution; in fact that's the whole point. Only Jesus' death was a sufficient sacrifice for our sins. He paid the penalty. So the church cannot annul our sins, nor can a priest, rituals etc. Only Jesus' penal substitution.

I don't think Catholics should take personal offense at these songs. I imagine even most Catholics would agree that the church was a bit of a mess back then. Matt is not speaking against an earthly organization; he is speaking against false doctrines. That's a good thing, because most of us have one false doctrine or another. When we speak out against these false doctrines, we sharpen each other like steal on steal.

Absolution day doesn't say anything against penal substitution; in fact that's the whole point. Only Jesus' death was a sufficient sacrifice for our sins. He paid the penalty. So the church cannot annul our sins, nor can a priest, rituals etc. Only Jesus' penal substitution.

I don't think Catholics should take personal offense at these songs. I imagine even most Catholics would agree that the church was a bit of a mess back then. Matt is not speaking against an earthly organization; he is speaking against false doctrines. That's a good thing, because most of us have one false doctrine or another. When we speak out against these false doctrines, we sharpen each other like steal on steal.

I do not wish to start a theological debate, but for clarification:

I understood that Absolution Day was about penal substitution, my point was that I identified with the song up until the point at the bridge in which the lyrics begin to drive a wedge between sacraments ("No blessed holy water..." etc) and the grace of Christ. For not only Catholicism, but much of Protestantism, Martin Luther and John Calvin included, this is a false dichotomy and does not fairly present what we are really saying.

In any case, what I was saying was that once we identify with the music so much, it can be hard not to "own" it in our heads and be offended when it doesn't reflect our particular kind of Christian faith.

For not only Catholicism, but much of Protestantism, Martin Luther and John Calvin included, this is a false dichotomy and does not fairly present what we are really saying.

False.

But, disregarding reformers, you should really take a look at what Jesus, Peter, and Paul have to say.

"...nobody gets to the Father except through Me"
--Jesus.

False.

But, disregarding reformers, you should really take a look at what Jesus, Peter, and Paul have to say.

"...nobody gets to the Father except through Me"
--Jesus.

You may disagree, but Atreides is simply making a factual statement that certain Christians would believe that it presents a false dichotomy.