May be losing my studio already :(

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
So I come to find out yesterday (after being served with a 5 day vacate notice) that the guy that leases the building is a month behind on his rent! He brought us in so that he could basically fuck us and leave.

So here is my situation:

Option 1:
I already have my rent covered every month just from renting out the monthly rehearsal rooms we have here. So if I can make it through this month and cover his ass for last month then I am golden and I can just do a lease transfer and keep the place. That would cost me $2100 out of pocket as I have only brought in $700 (my cut of the rent which as agreed on int he beginning). Everything else we made beyond that we put toward gear for the studio. So $700 is where we stand as having cash to put into the rent.

Option 2:
We vacate in 5 days and then wait for them to process his eviction. From there go through the process of an application / deposit and renting the building ourselves. This would cost us only $1400 (as they would give us 1 month free and the first months "rent" would be the deposit. This sounds like a good idea but I would be out of the building for about 2 weeks while they process everything before I can move back in. This kinda fucks me in 2 ways.

1: I have to move out and hopefully once we do he doesnt take any of the snake / cabling thats built into the place or decide to fuck up the rooms

2: I have to tell the poeple that have rented the monthly rooms they have to get out for 2 weeks. Which in that time they would probably find another place.

I have till the 28th to either pay the $2100 or get out ......

I have a lease agreement with him but according to his lease he is not allowed to "sub lease" so the agreement we have on paper means nothing.

The Landlords are willing to work with me to a point, but they are extremely frustrated.

Advice?

(I knew this fucking deal was too good to be true :( )

Pay the $2100. Get rid of the fuck-o who fucked you. The hassle of moving your gear in and out and the potential lost business in rehearsal slots is worth the extra cash dude.

I can´t believe you even consider going through all this trouble for only $700 (the difference between the full $2100 and the $1400 scheme).

Would pay the money if you can.

Think about that. You move out, and someone else gets the place....
You move out and the landlord sell the place.....

So better get it for yourself with a good contract

would pay the extra 700$ just not to have the trouble of moving a whole damn studio out and than in again
too many cables haha...

well sometimes you just have to accept the fact that you've been fucked and live with it

No landlord wants an empty property collecting dust , it is a major pain in the arse for them to find tennants . I would speak to the landlord don't seem to keen and see if you can do a deal , better off to make it look like you are doing him a favour than come across desperate ...