Maybe Opeth will change its style

Oct 19, 2002
Istanbul/Turkey
Visit site
Maybe Opeth will change its style to progressive rock (no death part) if they will success in damnation album. And everyone knows how good they are in rock-style songs so this possibility is not far away.
There are lots of examples for this: therion, tiamat, samael and such...

They will do what they want to do... and I'm not sure they'll completely screw their "death parts" only because of some success with Damnation.
They haven't followed the success route in the past, why should they now?

Maybe flying pigs will suddenly come tearing out of my asshole.....but, somehow, I don't forsee that happening.

Well they'll keep doing the death part till they are sick of it. You never know what the future holds so I wouldn't make any assumptions, but judging from how things are I'd say nay, they'll stick with the death aspect for some time to come.

I think that no matter what, Opeth will always have the unique style that sets them apart from all the others. And should the chosse a different route to go musically for a bit, it will be just as great as their previous efforts, mainly because they do this for the love of music and not pure financial gain. Should they change, I am sure I would enjoy their music regardless of the abscense of death vox or a more prog type feel. I enjoy the death parts greatly, but the more melodic and acoustic parts are awsome.

No matter what, Opeth will always be Opeth, and from the first note played.... you will know it.

Since I'm one of the few people here that prefers the more "acoustic" side of Opeth than their death side, I wouldn't be too unhappy if that happened. But that doesn't mean that I believe it will happen. I don't think Damnation will bring more success to the band than it already has, so I can't see why they could change anything. Of course, tomorrow they may wake up and decide that they are bored of playing death metal, but nobody knows if and when this is going to happen. So I wouldn't worry too much, their style (which is quite successful) probably won't change in the near future. After all if they want to try something else, there is always the option of a project...

Originally posted by Squircifer

No matter what, Opeth will always be Opeth, and from the first note played.... you will know it.

FROM THE FIRST NOTE PLAYED!!!!!!>>>>

YOU WILL KNOW ITS ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GET THE GUITAR CLOSE AT HAND!

"growled to the tune of demon of the fall "

I hope they continue to sound like Opeth, keeping their progressiveness and originality forever. I personally love their death vocals, but if they choose not to use them, which I don't see happening, I guess I'd still listen to them.

NP: Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding

I think none can tell what they will do, but what makes Opeth so unique is definately the blend of different styles.

Personally I would hate it if Opeth would quit using their death side.

I like the death parts in opeth too (this one is for guys posted here without manner).
anyone could imagine therion's change to symphonic metal while they were progressive death metal band ? No. So this can be happen to opeth as well.

How can all you people be so sure about them never ditching the death vox? during the Deliverance/Damnation sessions, all the members seem to like the outcome and enjoyed playing Damnation more. I think they might slowly fade away into no death vox, but of course I can't be certain either. Opeth will make whatever music they want and dont care about the fans. I mean, Amorphis, Katatonia, and Anathema did that... probably a few other bands.

Mikael has said repeatedly that he will never change his style drastically, because he hates it when bands do that. So, for better or worse, I'd say expect the small progressions they've been making from album to album all along.