Emi

underdog
May 10, 2002
imola - italy
code666.net
from THE DARKEST HOUR (CANADA)

http://www.thedarkesthours.com/main.htm

RATE: 98% :)hotjump: )

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BAND >>[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CD >>[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LABEL >>[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NOTE>>[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MECHANICAL POET [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WOODLAND PRATTLERS [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AURAL MUSIC (2004)[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]98%[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When I'm receiving a new CD release by the Code 666 family, always I'm expecting something original and again with Mechanical Poet that's the case! Be prepare to hear a unique sound. You got progressive metal, electronic trance samples, dark gothic atmosphere and add to that a symphonic classical orchestration! WOW! Everything fits well together and this album sound like the soundtrack of a fantasy movie..a good fantasy movie! This CD comes with a 20 pages comic book but unfortunatly my promo version doesn't contain the book so I can't say if the lyrics are pure fantasy that's would fits the music perfectly but one thing for sure it that the way the singer sings the songs, it looks theatrical. Speaking of the book, the artwork is quite amazing (front cover), beautiful drawing that you can have in a double slipcase CD. This album is pure art from the artwork to the music and everything. This isn't only a music CD, there's a strong concept and this is the kind of album you don't want to lose the booklet! It's easy to see that they work hard from the music. The way the songs are built is great. You got a nice strong vocalist and the melodies are catchy as hell. Progressive riffs that contains a lot of hooks and for those who are affraid of the word progressive don't be shy to take a listen cause it's not complicated stuff you can't understand. Like I said it's progressive but blend that with other genre and you got some amazing catchy stuff. The guitar work is unbelievable, they though about everything before recording those songs. Strong harmonies and amazing electronic samples that give another dimension to the songs. If you like what you read you can definitly buy that album blindly and I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. Even if it's getting harder and harder, they pushed the boundaries of metal and in my opinion this mean something. A masterpiece!

Patrick
[/font]

Just got mine today and all I can say is WOW!!!! Damn you guys went balls out on the new one! Glad I picked up the special edition. Also big thanks for the resending of the promo (sorry but the original promo came in a flimsy envelope and the cd was broken :( ). I know I will be promoting the hell out of this album (as the rest of the DJ's) on both Seismic Radio and Beyondearcandy.com.

I really want to plan something with you guys along the lines of doing a show on the internet with a Q&A session for all of the fans to join and participate. I should be back on the radio airwaves soon enough just need to take care of some personal business (aka in the middle of switching jobs per say :) ).

Max. Lex, Tom you guys fucken rock!!! And I can't thank you enough for the nice hello in the credits you reserved for me. I am not worthy! \m/ \m/

Cheers! Tony

Thank you guys! Glad to see you like it. :) Even don't know what to say... We're really happy that you can listen to this music now. :) We tried as hard as we could to make it happen...

BenMech said:
I just got my copy today Emi. Both Mech Poet albums are amazing. Expect hella lotta promotion by way of Seismic Radio.

My next question isn't specifically MP, but what's the current status of Better Undead Than Alive 2?
glad to hear you like MP, keep me posted about the promotion.

"Better Undead than Alive 2" project is done. Plans are quite big so I guess it will take a lot of time to do everything. the first compilation has been a big success, both commercially and from a promotional point of view.
with the second chapter the idea is to bring everything to a much higher level , doing something that no one ever did before, the only problem is the budget, we are small and we don't have the money we need to realize this project in a normal way, so we are now working on alternative ways to gather the money and the resources to make our dream true....

from EUTK portal (italy)

http://www.eutk.net/rece.asp?id=2857

RATE: 9/10 (yeah!)

Erano mesi che si faceva un gran parlare dei russi Mechanical Poet, sin da quando firmarono per la Aural Music, la “holding label” sotto la cui egida troviamo anche la Code666 e la Dreamcell11, e si diceva un gran bene di loro. Nel corso di questi mesi c’è stato un mastodontico spreco di fantasiose etichette per descrivere la musica della band, si è addirittura arrivati a definirli “Harry Potter Metal”, ma alla luce di quello che ho ascoltato, e di cui tra poco cercherò di parlarvi, possiamo benissimo definirli avantgarde, nel senso più lato del termine, benché qualcuno pensi che tale etichetta sia ad uso e consumo delle sole band norvegesi.
Messe da parte le stupide questioni di etichettatura, per quelli che non ne possono fare a meno, veniamo alla cosa più importante, la musica. Qui di musica ce n’è tanta, tutta di pregevolissima fattura, e le sensazioni che regala sono così dilatate che il disco è più simile ad un viaggio immaginifico, un viaggio nella dimensione emozionale nella più pura accezione del termine.
I Mechanical Poet fondono le influenze più disparate, prog, power, metal pesante, orchestrazioni classiche, gothic vibes, epic, folk, elettronica, parti che sembrano tratte da colonne sonore, si va da “Il Signore Degli Anelli” a “Conan Il Barbaro”, passando per le atmosfere inquietanti e surreali di Tim Burton, il tutto senza essere mai scontati, banali o peggio ancora pretenziosi. Il risultato è una musica ariosa, che ha la stessa progressività e grazia di un cigno che dischiude, lentamente, le sue ali con armonia e spicca un volo maestoso e di rara bellezza.
Le qualità tecniche poi sono notevoli, ma un ulteriore pregio della band è quello di aver sconfessato uno dei dogmi più diffusi nell’immaginario collettivo metallico, ovvero l’equazione musica progressiva/freddezza esecutiva, la quale qui, ovemai sia esistita, lascia il posto a note colorate dai toni pastello, ad immagini soavi e raffinate, a calde emozioni che fluiscono impetuose e travolgenti e penetrano fin dentro l’anima, nel più profondo, donandole tepore e languore. Chiudere gli occhi e lasciarsi trasportare, anzi travolgere, dall’onda emozionale del trittico “Old Year’s Merry Funeral”, “Natural Quaternion” e “Shades On A Casement” sarà un’esperienza sublime, a tal punto che non oserete abusarne, ma la centellinerete come si fa con il più prezioso degli elisir.
La componente più ordinaria della musica dei Mechanical Poet è la voce del singer Max Samosvat, molto simile a quella di Timo Kotipelto, ma comunque molto espressiva.
Non saprei a chi consigliare questo disco, bisogna essere esteti ed amare il bello per apprezzare musica simile, avere un animo sensibile per comprendere tutte le sfumature di una musica così sfaccettata e strutturata, complessa ma non complicata, che arriva direttamente al cuore delle emozioni. “Woodland Prattlers” è poesia, è languida carezza che riscalda, con un artwork stupendo ed una confezione lussuosa con libretto di ben 20 pagine che contiene un fumetto, di cui però non ho potuto godere con la mia promo version. Mi spiace parlare di codeste questioni prosaiche, ma è un peccato non poter approfondire l’aspetto lirico, di sicuro spessore, né poter godere per intero di questa piccola opera d’arte fruendo anche della sua parte visiva.
Chiudo con la convinzione che questo disco sarà di sicuro nella mia top-list di fine anno, e se non prende il massimo dei voti è solo perché la sua musica tocca corde di cui non conosciamo ancora i confini, l’anima.

Voto: 9/10 - Luigi 'Gino' Schettino

From HARM magazine:

(www.harm.us/reviews/showreview.cfm?albID=3338&visitor=0)

So far I’ve only heard great music hailing from Russia and to prove my point I have for witness: Forest Stream, Rakoth, Tvangeste and I most likely forgot some others but you know who they are. As a new comer, Mechanical Poet is only reinforcing my case and what a solid and impressive debut the boys have composed and played for us! Aural Music is one of my favorite labels for the quality and originality of their bands and man does Mechanical Poet ever fits with the label’s mission into time. Their musical direction is being described as progressive orchestral metal which is pretty cool and thrilling as such besides being very different from what I’ve heard so far from the prog realm. They blend together a lot of different influences into their structure but still manage to remain melodic and not overly technical or too serious either. The vocals are clean and suits the musical direction compare to some progressive bands with cheesy sounding “male” vocalist. To be discovered : great symphonic arrangements, crushing guitar work, frequent changes, beautiful musical interludes, dark passages, comical moments, nicely melodic sounds with acoustic guitars and so on. Superb orchestration abounds on this opus and the opener / closer are just two fine examples of this statement. They are so well done you’d swear it was performed by a full orchestra! On a lighter note, “Swamp-Stamp Polka” is as comical and fun as its title is suggesting. The most orgasmic moment with plethora of styles and direction is included on songs called “Old Year’s Merry Funeral” and “Natural Quarternion” totaling an almost 18 minutes of sheer excitement and craziness. Add to what I’ve describes before some dark symphony, circus music, a funeral march, piano, haunting keys, higher pitch vocals “a la Queen” to get the feeling of what is waiting for you on this disc.

“Woodland Prattlers” blends melody and sophistication together brilliantly while approaching you with beautiful musical moments and a certain sense of humor. Awesome debut! Bravo!

9.3 / 10

They were months that made a large one to speak about the Russians Mechanical Poet, sin from when they signed for the Aural Music, the "holding ones label" under whose aegis we find also the Code666 and the Dreamcell11, and said a great good of they. In the course of these months it has been a mastodontico waste of fantasiose labels in order to describe music of the band, is quite succeeds in to you to define them "Harry Potter Metal in the light of", but what I have listened, and of which soon I will try to speak to you, we can very well define them avantgarde, in the sense more side of the term, although someone tasks that such label is to use and Norwegian consumption of the sun band. Puttinges from part the stupid issues of etichettatura, for that they cannot any make less, we come to the more important thing, music. Here of music ce n' it is a lot, all of pregevolissima invoice, and the feelings that give therefore are expanded that the disc is more similar to a immaginifico travel, a travel in the dimension move them in the purest meaning of the term. The Mechanical Poet disparate more, prog, power, metal heavy, classic orchestrazioni, gothic vibes, epic, folk, electronics, parts fuse the infuences that seem drafts from sonorous columns, go from "the Getlteman Of Rings" to "Conan the Barbarians", passing for alarming and surrealistic atmospheres of Tim Burton, all without being never discount to you, banal or more worse still pretenziosi. The result is an airy music, that it has the same progressività and grace of a swan that dischiude, slowly, its wings with harmony and detaches a majestic flight and of rare beauty. The technical qualities then are remarkable, but an ulterior one pregio of the band is that one to have sconfessato one of the more diffuse dogmas in the imaginary metallic collective, that is the equation music executive progressiva/freddezza, which here, ovemai has existed, leaves the place to notes colored from the tones pastel, to images gentle and refined, to warm emotions that flow impetuous and sweeping and penetrates end within the spirit, in deepest, donating them tepore and languore. To close the eyes and to let to transport, indeed to sweep up, from the wave move them of the trittico "Old Year' s Merry Funeral", "Natural Quaternion" and "Shades On To Casement" will be a sublime experience, to such point that you will not dare to misuse of, but the centellinerete like it is made with most precious of the elisir. The ordinarier member of music of the Mechanical Poet is the voice of singer the Max Samosvat, much similar one to that one of Kotipelto Thymus, but however much expressive one. I would not know who to advise this disc, must be esteti and love the beautiful one in order to appreciate similar music, to have an sensitive mind in order to comprise all the shadings of a music therefore sfaccettata and structured, complex but not complicated, that she arrives directly to the heart of the emotions. "Woodland Prattlers" is poetry, is languida caress that heats, with artwork wonderful and a lussuosa confection with booklet very 20 pages that a comic strip contains, of which but I have not been able to enjoy with mine promo version. Space to speak to me about those prosaiche issues, but it is a sin not to be able to deepen the lyric aspect, of sure thickness, neither to be able to enjoy entire this small work of art making use also of its visual part. I close with the conviction that this disc will be of sure in mine top-list of year-end, and if it does not take the maximum of the ballots is only because its music touches ropes of which we still do not know the borders, the spirit.

Emi said:
from EUTK portal (italy)

http://www.eutk.net/rece.asp?id=2857

RATE: 9/10 (yeah!)

Erano mesi che si faceva un gran parlare dei russi Mechanical Poet, sin da quando firmarono per la Aural Music, la “holding label” sotto la cui egida troviamo anche la Code666 e la Dreamcell11, e si diceva un gran bene di loro. Nel corso di questi mesi c’è stato un mastodontico spreco di fantasiose etichette per descrivere la musica della band, si è addirittura arrivati a definirli “Harry Potter Metal”, ma alla luce di quello che ho ascoltato, e di cui tra poco cercherò di parlarvi, possiamo benissimo definirli avantgarde, nel senso più lato del termine, benché qualcuno pensi che tale etichetta sia ad uso e consumo delle sole band norvegesi.
Messe da parte le stupide questioni di etichettatura, per quelli che non ne possono fare a meno, veniamo alla cosa più importante, la musica. Qui di musica ce n’è tanta, tutta di pregevolissima fattura, e le sensazioni che regala sono così dilatate che il disco è più simile ad un viaggio immaginifico, un viaggio nella dimensione emozionale nella più pura accezione del termine.
I Mechanical Poet fondono le influenze più disparate, prog, power, metal pesante, orchestrazioni classiche, gothic vibes, epic, folk, elettronica, parti che sembrano tratte da colonne sonore, si va da “Il Signore Degli Anelli” a “Conan Il Barbaro”, passando per le atmosfere inquietanti e surreali di Tim Burton, il tutto senza essere mai scontati, banali o peggio ancora pretenziosi. Il risultato è una musica ariosa, che ha la stessa progressività e grazia di un cigno che dischiude, lentamente, le sue ali con armonia e spicca un volo maestoso e di rara bellezza.
Le qualità tecniche poi sono notevoli, ma un ulteriore pregio della band è quello di aver sconfessato uno dei dogmi più diffusi nell’immaginario collettivo metallico, ovvero l’equazione musica progressiva/freddezza esecutiva, la quale qui, ovemai sia esistita, lascia il posto a note colorate dai toni pastello, ad immagini soavi e raffinate, a calde emozioni che fluiscono impetuose e travolgenti e penetrano fin dentro l’anima, nel più profondo, donandole tepore e languore. Chiudere gli occhi e lasciarsi trasportare, anzi travolgere, dall’onda emozionale del trittico “Old Year’s Merry Funeral”, “Natural Quaternion” e “Shades On A Casement” sarà un’esperienza sublime, a tal punto che non oserete abusarne, ma la centellinerete come si fa con il più prezioso degli elisir.
La componente più ordinaria della musica dei Mechanical Poet è la voce del singer Max Samosvat, molto simile a quella di Timo Kotipelto, ma comunque molto espressiva.
Non saprei a chi consigliare questo disco, bisogna essere esteti ed amare il bello per apprezzare musica simile, avere un animo sensibile per comprendere tutte le sfumature di una musica così sfaccettata e strutturata, complessa ma non complicata, che arriva direttamente al cuore delle emozioni. “Woodland Prattlers” è poesia, è languida carezza che riscalda, con un artwork stupendo ed una confezione lussuosa con libretto di ben 20 pagine che contiene un fumetto, di cui però non ho potuto godere con la mia promo version. Mi spiace parlare di codeste questioni prosaiche, ma è un peccato non poter approfondire l’aspetto lirico, di sicuro spessore, né poter godere per intero di questa piccola opera d’arte fruendo anche della sua parte visiva.
Chiudo con la convinzione che questo disco sarà di sicuro nella mia top-list di fine anno, e se non prende il massimo dei voti è solo perché la sua musica tocca corde di cui non conosciamo ancora i confini, l’anima.

Voto: 9/10 - Luigi 'Gino' Schettino

BenMech said:
They were months that made a large one to speak about the Russians Mechanical Poet, sin from when they signed for the Aural Music, the "holding ones label" under whose aegis we find also the Code666 and the Dreamcell11, and said a great good of they. In the course of these months it has been a mastodontico waste of fantasiose labels in order to describe music of the band, is quite succeeds in to you to define them "Harry Potter Metal in the light of", but what I have listened, and of which soon I will try to speak to you, we can very well define them avantgarde, in the sense more side of the term, although someone tasks that such label is to use and Norwegian consumption of the sun band. Puttinges from part the stupid issues of etichettatura, for that they cannot any make less, we come to the more important thing, music. Here of music ce n' it is a lot, all of pregevolissima invoice, and the feelings that give therefore are expanded that the disc is more similar to a immaginifico travel, a travel in the dimension move them in the purest meaning of the term. The Mechanical Poet disparate more, prog, power, metal heavy, classic orchestrazioni, gothic vibes, epic, folk, electronics, parts fuse the infuences that seem drafts from sonorous columns, go from "the Getlteman Of Rings" to "Conan the Barbarians", passing for alarming and surrealistic atmospheres of Tim Burton, all without being never discount to you, banal or more worse still pretenziosi. The result is an airy music, that it has the same progressività and grace of a swan that dischiude, slowly, its wings with harmony and detaches a majestic flight and of rare beauty. The technical qualities then are remarkable, but an ulterior one pregio of the band is that one to have sconfessato one of the more diffuse dogmas in the imaginary metallic collective, that is the equation music executive progressiva/freddezza, which here, ovemai has existed, leaves the place to notes colored from the tones pastel, to images gentle and refined, to warm emotions that flow impetuous and sweeping and penetrates end within the spirit, in deepest, donating them tepore and languore. To close the eyes and to let to transport, indeed to sweep up, from the wave move them of the trittico "Old Year' s Merry Funeral", "Natural Quaternion" and "Shades On To Casement" will be a sublime experience, to such point that you will not dare to misuse of, but the centellinerete like it is made with most precious of the elisir. The ordinarier member of music of the Mechanical Poet is the voice of singer the Max Samosvat, much similar one to that one of Kotipelto Thymus, but however much expressive one. I would not know who to advise this disc, must be esteti and love the beautiful one in order to appreciate similar music, to have an sensitive mind in order to comprise all the shadings of a music therefore sfaccettata and structured, complex but not complicated, that she arrives directly to the heart of the emotions. "Woodland Prattlers" is poetry, is languida caress that heats, with artwork wonderful and a lussuosa confection with booklet very 20 pages that a comic strip contains, of which but I have not been able to enjoy with mine promo version. Space to speak to me about those prosaiche issues, but it is a sin not to be able to deepen the lyric aspect, of sure thickness, neither to be able to enjoy entire this small work of art making use also of its visual part. I close with the conviction that this disc will be of sure in mine top-list of year-end, and if it does not take the maximum of the ballots is only because its music touches ropes of which we still do not know the borders, the spirit.
wow, it's the first time I see someone speaking a worst english than mine.... hehehe... is he mr Google translator or mrs babelfish Altavista?:p

From Chronicles of Chaos

(www.chroniclesofchaos.com/Articles.aspx?id=2-3641)

by: Pedro Azevedo (6 out of 10)

Mechanical Poet from Russia throw a lot of elements and influences into their mix of traditional, symphonic and progressive metal. A very theatrical release, _Woodland Prattlers_ reportedly comes with a twenty page comic book that illustrates the concept behind the album (my promo copy doesn't have one, so I won't comment on that). There are significant hints of Danny Elfman soundtracks in the classical elements that Mechanical Poet merge into their metal; if that tickles your curiosity, then you should probably give _Woodland Prattlers_ a shot. Clearly a lot of work has gone into the album, and it is a worthy effort that offers plenty to be discovered. It requires a very high tolerance to all sorts of sweet melodies, clean vocals and harmless fantasy themes, though -- not my thing, but still a good piece of work within the band's chosen style.

from METALLUS (biggest metal portal in italy)

http://www.metallus.it/recensione.asp?id=3586&p=0

by: Riccardo Manazza

rate: 9/10 (!!!)

La cosa che ci entusiasma maggiormente dell'underground metallico è l'imprevedibilità.
Ormai rassegnati ad una folla di band clone senza personalità ci ritroviamo di botto ad ascoltare quello che sarà il metal progressivo/sinfonico di domani, prodotto, forse inevitabilmente, da un combo proveniente dai margini del movimento, la Russia. Avete presente la rivoluzione che segui l'uscita di dischi come 'Legendary Tales' o 'Angels Cry'? In un mondo minimamente ragionevole i Mechanical Poet avrebbero diritto ad altrettanta fortuna.
Sono loro infatti l'unica band in grado di riprendere il concetto melodico/classico di Angra/Kamelot, il taglio da colonna sonora dei Rhapsody e catapultarlo avanti di dieci anni, in un mondo più duro e caotico dove si può concepire un assalto power-thrash (ci vengono in mente i Black Symphony') come 'Stormchild' vicino ad un motivo disneyano simil-natalizio ('Will O' The Wisp). Senza dimenticare una follia come 'Stayed Moppet' in cui convivono Soilwork, Mundanus Imperium, lirica e musical.
Non che tutto il resto sia di profilo minore: ogni brano inventa soluzioni melodiche di presa ma assolutamente non banali, grazie ad una capacità incredibile di miscelare elementi distanti tra di loro in un concetto 'progressivo' che non accetta immobilità e ripetizione.
Vi basti ascoltare 'Old Year's Merry Funeral', un brano dalle mille sfaccettature che chiudendosi in un'orgia strumentale si attacca alla mini suite 'Natural Quaternion' dando vita ad un ibrido dark/prog/power orchestrale che potrebbe essere tranquillamente rappresentato in un teatro a Broadway o suonato in apertura ad un concerto dei Dimmu Borgir.
Se non siete ancora stramazzati vi raccontiamo di una voce tra le più versatili dell'intero circo metallico, un singer in grado di sussurrare, abbaiare, armonizzare, urlare come solo quel fenomeno di Lande aveva dimostrato di poter fare. Da paura a proposito la curiosa 'Swamp-Stamp-Polka' dove sembra lontanamente affiorare l'influenza circense di una band come i Mr. Bungle supportata da un cantato ultra-metallico volutamente grottesco. Uno dei dischi dell'anno.

Per dovere di cronaca segnaliamo anche la presenza sul mercato di una tiratura limitata contenete il primo e altrettanto interessante mini della band.

(this review is AMAZING...)

from http://www.lordsofmetal.nl

Mechanical Poet - Woodland Prattlers
Aural Music Group

file under different metal

Ralph: It is LoM policy to label every album with a 'style direction'. I had a very hard time doing that in case of Mechanical Poet when I had to label 'Woodland Prattlers'. The album of the band –hailing form Moscow- is very hard to label anyway because these guys mix and combine various styles.

Right after the intro it is 'Stormchild' that really opens the album in some sort of Children Of Bodom style I would say. The subtle use of keyboards and ambiance give it a Scandinavian feel. The main difference are the vocals though. Max Samosvat is a very powerful and clear singer. 'Bogie In A Coal-hole' is a lot more progressive and less easy listening. The track is build great and marked by the sneaky use of samples. 'Sirens From The Underland' is a ballad without guitars and 'Will O' The Wisp' is a track they should have left out if you ask me. Although these guys are only a threesome but they sound like Dimmu Borgir with a complete orchestra when 'Strayed Moppet' kicks in. Mechanical Poet is a true orchestral band with great musicians. Just listen to the impressive 'Old Year's Merry Funeral' or the eleven minute long epos 'Natural Quaternion' or the weird 'Swamp-Stamp-Polka' for that matter.

'Woodland Prattlers' turned out an album that demands something out of the listener as well. Besides the very catchy songs (and parts) that remind of the bands I mentioned earlier, this album also holds some beautiful progressive parts that keep surprising time after time. Very nice, another album for my year list, that is for sure.

Rating: 94/100 (details)

from HMP (Heavy Music Portal)

http://www.hmp.it/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=3653

rate: 88/100

Io ne ho viste cose, che voi umani non potreste immaginarvi. Ho visto un doppio slipcase in edizione strettamente limitata a 1000 copie contenente 2 cd meravigliosi a vedersi, affascinante facciata dell'original comic book score che prende il nome di Woodland Prattlers. E ho visto un booklet tanto esteticamente spettacolare, quanto intellettualmente intrigante; un vero e proprio fumetto, parte indispensabile alla storia narrata dalle 11 tracce incise su disco. O meglio sui dischi, non era infatti da meno per nessuna ragione il bonus disc contenente l'EP Handmade Essence. Quello che ho visto potrebbe essere sufficiente a far impazzire chiunque di voi umani, ma quello che ho sentito è altrettanto stupefacente. Ho sentito orchestrazioni grandiose, da vera e propria colonna sonora. E ho sentito la voce della foresta e dei folletti sovrapporsi al rumore degli ingranaggi nel laboratorio degli scienziati. Voi umani non potreste nemmeno immaginarvi un'attitudine così scanzonata, tanto sentita e credibile nei momenti più solenni, quanto divertente e divertita non appena corre il rischio di divenire seriosa. Non sareste in grado di costruire imponenti castelli sonori senza sentirvene i Re indiscussi, senza lasciarvi andare a sfarzi eccessivi; non avreste mai l'umiltà di relegarvi al modesto ruolo di intrattenitori e gaudenti accompagnatori nel lungo viaggio che spetta al vostro invitato. Io ne ho viste e sentite cose, che voi umani non potreste nemmeno immaginarvi. E tutti quei momenti andranno perduti nel tempo come lacrime nella pioggia. È tempo di morire.

Adorabile

(http://www.maelstrom.nu/ezine/revie..._rs=5&osCsid=9d3bfa016152aa35659087c39690d512)

review by: Roberto Martinelli

You can’t make me believe that there is no connection between the release of the curious (to say the least) album by Mechanical Poet and the upcoming Christmas season. Woodland Prattlers is, quite simply, the closest thing to a metal Christmas CD you’ll find (all respects to Notre Dame paid).

Woodland Prattlers is definitely goofy, but the more you listen to it, the better it gets. Certainly songs like "Bogie in a Coal Hole" (yes, we laughed, too) stand out pretty early as really catchy and satisfying. It is especially on tracks like this that you’ll notice the great talents of Mechanical Poet’s singer. Further inspection shows an album whose more musically intricate parts are performed by the keyboard, leaving the guitar to provide the skeleton. Songs like these are roughly in the power metal vein, although they’re more on the rock side, with really big, single kick drum sounds, simple arrangements and no solos.

But the Christmas aura. Woodland Prattlers seems to be about some obscure comic book (we tried to look into it, but the band website never led anywhere) – making this album one of the few concept CDs that actually works. The aura is kind of gnomey, kind of elfy. The bugger on the album cover could just as easily be an employee in Santa’s workshop. The bulk of the album’s tracks are more in a sort of atmospheric music style that sounds like cartoon snowflakes falling on a quirky, mystical land. Harry Potter goes to the North Pole and helps a bunch of gophers. Imagine that and you’re on your way.

A nerdy album deserves a nerdy comparison. There was a Playstation game called "MediEvil," in which you played a British-accented skeleton cartoon warrior. If you know what I’m talking about, then imagine this as the metal soundtrack to that game. Sound good? Get it.

The album does have its weaknesses. The balance of proper songs and filler (albeit nice, enjoyable filler) is tipped too heavily to the latter. Also, and damn me for saying this, the story told by the music doesn’t wrap up in a very satisfying way. The album feels like it needs to be longer, like the end was rushed.

But because of its wackiness, but also because of its uniqueness and grow-on-you-like-a-fungus likeability, we’re recommending this album. In fact, we think we’re going to go and buy the 2CD version with an unreleased MCD. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. (7/10)