Medical Problem

Walter_Langkowski said:
Does anyone know what this medical problem with Peter Steele is? I don't know if anyone has anything more than a guess, but I'd still like to hear if anyone knows anything.

I was really looking forward to seeing Type O and Amorphis (even without Pasi), so I'd like to know what's up!
Well, there are numerous rumors floating around. They make sense though. The guy has had a coke habit for years. It wouldn't surprise me if it had something to do with his heart.

No, Billy Kelly was Pete's bass tech and I don't think he was related to Johnny, though I'm not sure; he died this past January. I got to meet him while backstage at Pete's last Halloween show at the Trocadero in Philly 2001. He as a cool guy and was a blast to talk with, but I never heard why he passed other than he died in his sleep...

I'm not so sure about that as I'm sure you're not, but you'd think Pete would at least learn some lesson from when Billy ODed. Besides, good health could finally be the catalyst Pete needs in finding the things that will at least make him less miserable.

A "less miserable" Peter Steele is not what I would be interested in. I want him to stay miserable so he continues to create quality music that is appropriate under the name of Type O Negative. If he finds happiness or less misery, Type O should come to an end.

No offense, but that's a bit greedy. Pete's too good a guy to be completely miserable all the time. Any putz can write depressing songs while in a depressing mood, but a good musician can do it regardless of the mood. Peter's certainly creative enough.

Alright, don't you think the "depressed" all the time is more a thing he does. Don't get me wrong. I love TON with a burning passion. But there is a difference between the real me and the stage persona I have. I write a lot of dark lyrics to help me cope with hurt. I think Peter plays off of it. It works for him, and in no way is he a "fake person" but I for one never believed he is as depressed as he says he is all the time.

-MetalRose

That's really hard to say for sure. For every time I've met him and talked with him, you could tell that he wasn't depressed as all fuck, but he wasn't truly content either. I think it's better said that he's always miserable, but the severity just differs on the day. It's kind of like he's stuck in purgatory with no certain way out, and that's where the drugs came in IMHO.

I never thought of Peter as a depressed dude, shit a lot of Type O Negative songs are funny, and he's an absolute crack up!

Which still doesn't tell us what the story is w/ The Steele Peter... hmmm. I'll prolly surf around, see if there's any back alley info. If I find anything interesting, I'll stick it in here... :confused:

One Inch Man said:
I never thought of Peter as a depressed dude, shit a lot of Type O Negative songs are funny

i also dont see him as a depressed guy, there are more depressing lyrics than lyrics of type o

'Type O Negative is to blame for: the Persian Gulf war; the aids virus; Midwest flooding; the Waco incident; Bill Clinton; slavery; global warming; World Trade CTR bombing; the war in Bosnia; Amy Fisher - Joey Buttafuoco; the Vietnam war; teen illiteracy; the budget deficit; crucifixion of Christ; sinking of the Titanic; GG Allin's overdose; their own destruction.'​
is full of funny things like more lyrics

Peter, Darlingheart, you should just be out with it. Us fans (myself 13yrs. & still Negative) who've adored TON's music and supported the band & have come to 'know' you in all our own ways deserve more than this from you, no matter what the prob. really is. Always Bloody Kisses...

If anyone didn't know by now, the depressed goth schtick is Type O's big joke on goth culture and music in general. They were pioneers in a genre they themselves were mocking...I'm sure Pete's fine and quite the nice guy if you're not an interested gay man.