Megadeth Album 2009

This thread has kinda reached a deadspot for now as there isnt alot of updates on the new album, im still not sure the whole deal with the preist feast as if its still going because if so it would interfere alot with the recording process being on the road all the time, all i know is that james and dave are working on new material for the album nearly all the time but im but im not sure about broderick?

This is the only update ive got at this point of time, words from the man himself: "I am going over the week and what I have accomplished and what still needs to be done going forward. It was a great week, we are up to 8 song ideas"

the best update so far:

MEGADETH is in the final stages of the songwriting process for the band's new album, which is tentatively expected sometime next year via Roadrunner Records. The CD is once again being helmed by acclaimed British producer Andy "Undie" Sneap, who produced MEGADETH's last album, "United Abominations" (May 2007, Roadrunner Records).

MEGADETH's forthcoming LP will be the group's first with guitarist Chris Broderick, who replaced Glen Drover at the end of last year.

MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine has issued the following update via the "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

"It's time to tell you the truth about what is happening in the studio.

"We are trying really hard to come up with a record that will satisfy our new fans that love MEGADETH, and that have not had to deal with the 'ups and downs' of being a fan whilst lineup changes took place. Trust me, I know that this sucks for you, because you get close to someone, or you get familiar with a certain musician and then he may be gone.

"It is sad to think like that, but it is like I said before, 'We really only have just this moment together, don't we?' We have had so many different musicians in this band that when I was trying to make my point, it took quite some time to run down the list of players. You see, I was trying to tell Justis [Dave's son] that he needs to do certain things with his band, and that he needs to be able to make the tough decisions that most 'leaders' don't have to make. And sometimes it results in lineup changes.

"I told him about the very first group of people that I played with in my first setting, all the way through my first real band, through PANIC and METALLICA, ending with the long lineup list from MEGADETH.

"I started playing with my sister's ex-husband's (douche bag) little brother and a few guys, and switched around in that band until I met Dave Harmon and created PANIC and the several lineups with that band. Then there were the changes within METALLICA that people don't know about, like 'Damien,' the feminine guitarist with the feather earring and the eyeliner and the red and white striped girl's shirt; and last but certainly not least, there have been more changes in MEGADETH than I would like to count.

"So, here we are in the studio with three other talented men and a fantastic engineer and producer that is recording and co-producing the record with me. And if you think about it, Andy has made several of the hottest new metal records out currently, and he is one of the few people that I listen to without prejudice, so I listen to him with very honest ears.

"We have 11 ideas, I think that we have four of those arranged or close to being arranged and of those 11, several of them are complete songs. I am also waiting to hear from Shawn [Drover, drums], James [Lomenzo, bass], and Chris [Broderick, guitar]. James had something that was really great and is going to make it onto this record. Shawn had some stuff from long ago and I asked him to try to re-record it because we have been together for four years now, and since he is the second longest drummer in MEGADETH, only second to Nick Menza, I feel that he deserves to have his music on this record; besides, he is really good and has great chops and songwriting skills.

"Sundays we take off from the studio, and Shawn and Andy go five blocks from my beach house to the sand and sunbath for the day. They've also been getting familiar with the surrounding area. I am going to head in today and work around Justis and his band (they go in on the weekend after they finish all of their school work) until we are finished with this record. I have some renewed vitality and I have been going in early and just playing my guitar by myself. But first, I have a massage for my physical therapy on my degenerative disk disease and arthritis in my neck."

i don't know what he means by new fans, has he forgotten his old fans, or what?

another update:

MEGADETH is in the final stages of the songwriting process for the band's new album, which is tentatively expected sometime next year via Roadrunner Records. The CD is once again being helmed by acclaimed British producer Andy "Undie" Sneap, who produced MEGADETH's last album, "United Abominations" (May 2007, Roadrunner Records).

MEGADETH's forthcoming LP will be the group's first with guitarist Chris Broderick, who replaced Glen Drover at the end of last year.

MEGADETH bassist James Lomenzo has issued the following update via the "Forums" section of the band's official web site:

"Back at the studio today, Dave [Mustaine, guitar/vocals] brought up some more killer riffs, Shawn's [Drover, drums] slamming down some really great Ddrum assault power (maybe, not enough china cymbal for my taste) and Andy's staying on top of it all. Surprising how quickly it's all going down. I've knocked in a few bass ideas, Dave's come up with a bunch as well and I'm delighted to see how well he actually plays the bass when he does, good instincts. Anyway, I'm looking forward to adding more of my two cents when we move into phase two which is to say, moving from the creation/demo phase to locking and loading the final tracks. Speaking of loading (or in this case, overloading), we've recently burned out our subwoofer we use for monitoring. This is a good indicator. Let's see what else we can break (demo...short for demolition!)!"

MEGADETH will embark on the "Priest Feast" European tour in February 2009 with headliners JUDAS PRIEST and openers TESTAMENT.

Released on September 30, MEGADETH's "Anthology: Set The World Afire" (Capitol/EMI) career-spanning 2-CD and digital collection sold around 2,600 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

I can't wait for this. I thought United Abominations was a move in the right direction. I expect this one to be heavier.

Dave said there will be 11 or 12 songs, diverse album with diverse tempos, pure metal, big album still doing many touch ups and fine tuning the songs. Dave will let Chris rip it in the recording room.

Just a few thoughts.

Everything pre-RIP was great. RIP was the high point of Megadeth, PSBWB is hugely overrated. While Countdown to Extinction wasn't horrid, it was a large step in the wrong direction. And the problem was it was successful commercially.

For the people that want to claim Dave is ignoring the fans, and just doing his thing, it's bullshit. He saw success with radio friendly Music and brought in producers he thought would get him the success he started to crave. And as such, he produced a bunch of crap because someone else was sabotaging the process, and he allowed it.

But I am excited about this album. UA was not a thrash album, and it wasn't great, it was good, just not great. But it was a step in the right direction, and it gives me hope for what's next.

I agree with the anger statements. I was extremely disappointed when I heard Dave became brainwas- er I mean Christian. I certainly hope he can get a bit more amped up about music, and spit out some real thrash.

Countdown was a great record, I consider it a metal classic especially with awesome songs like high speed dirt, psychotron, ashes, architecture of aggression etc. RISK is the commercial experiment,every album after that is a step up from the last, I have a good feeling about the next one.

if mustaine lets me down with a non-thrash record i will be forced to eat my copy of rust in peace

Countdown was a great record, I consider it a metal classic especially with awesome songs like high speed dirt, psychotron, ashes, architecture of aggression etc. RISK is the commercial experiment,every album after that is a step up from the last, I have a good feeling about the next one.

Compared to RIP it was a let down. It just didn't have what RIP had, and while there were a few good songs, I saw it as foreshadowing Risk.