Megadeth - "Endgame"...the review.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Well finally it leaked, so read my last post reviewing it.

I don't like too have many threads about the same band running together, but I believe some people are interested in the upcoming album...

...So here's a link to listen to 'Endgame' (the quality is bad) the title song. Everyone makes its own judgement :D

http://earsucker.com/2009/08/19/megadeths-new-song-endgame-leaked/

Not bad. Don't quite like it as much as the other 2, though that may be partial due to the awful mp3 quality (it's like a 32 kbps mp3)

I'm on the same ballpark as you, but I said it in the initial post the quality is bad to appreciate the song totally.

I'm awaiting for the whole album to leak (same with Evile) but nothing yet.

Well the album finally leaked and I just download it.

'Dialectic Chaos': a great guitar driven instrumental that serves as intro to

'This Day We Fight!: awsome, crushing, powerful mean thrash. Like something out of RIP but the voice of Mustaine is grittier.

'44 Minutes': mid-paced song with really good guitar work (if this is Broderick the man slays!), a heavy dark atmosphere, kind like 'Go To Hell' but slower.

'1,320': this one has been listened too already by many here, but now sounds better yet. In a way the music has taken over the vocals and Mustaine has changed a bit his sound. This song again is more thrash akin to RIP than following albums. Love the drum work on this one.

'Bite The Hand': another powerful song, still the mix sounds like higher on drums and lower on vocals (wonder if this is the final mix that made the commercial CD). Guitar work is fabulous and the song has good grip.

'Bodies': a more melodic song but definitively metal, again the guitar work is astounding. The best since the high days of Friedman.

'Endgame': like '44 minutes' starts with some sampling (that I'm not very fond of) and then goes this mid-paced heavy song that gain speed at 1:33 mins going very thrash always with the guitar driven majesty I mentioned before, catchy chorus too: this is the endgame, this is also the longest song of the album at 5:56, the rest are under 5 mins.

'The Hardest Part Of Letting Go...Sealed With A Kiss': starts with an acoustic guitar and goes into a soft singed haunting song ballad type until 1:43 mins when burst into a fast paced melodic thrash stuff that reminds me a bit of 'Tornado Of Souls', returning at 3:18 into the acoustic piece until it fades at 4:11. The structure is like Scorpions 'Holiday' (melodic-fast-melodic), but not as good :D

'Headcrusher': blows in your face as the previous one ends. Fast, energetic, heavy, well many have already listened to it, so you know what I mean.

'How The Story Ends': very heavy, mid-fast paced song, again the mix doesn't let the guitar shine as it should and the vocals are also a bit buried. But I'm sure the CD must be fabulous.

'The Right To Go Insane': very mean thrashy song, Mustaine seems to speak a bit more than sing but it is not like 'Amerikhastan' at all.

This should have been the album that have followed "Youthanasia", if you liked UA you will adore this one. IMO unlike the last one this has no fillers, no weak songs, no bad remakes and unlike TWNAH and TSHF this albums has one hell of a punch!

This is how a band returns to form, hope they can continue on this path because I really dig it, and Broderick sounds like the right man for the band much more than Pitrelli or Drover.

Final verdict: I'm gonna buy this puppy as soon as available and I suspect it's gonna make the top ten this year. Way to go Megadeth!

Agreed. I think I'll try to enjoy this one the ol' fashioned way & wait for the hard copy.

Oh definitively you won't be dissapointed. I was pretty sure because of the few songs leaked. But now listening the whole album I know it's a safe purchase. My only hope is that the final CD sounds better in the mix or maybe are my speakers in the computer because the files are 320/256 kbps.

In anycase I love what they have achieved :headbang:

I know that, but still great way to try before you buy :kickass:

That is a must be for me as a metalhead. I believe we have the moral obligation of BUYING the CD or the legal downloaded MP3s if we like the music.

Now downloading for free before purchase is JUST a way to ensure we are going to spend WISELY our money in a shrinken economy, blind purchases unless you're a die hard fan are very dangerous these days. You download, you listen, you like, you buy...you don't like, you erase, move on :)

I gave it one listen through and I'm leaving it at that until I buy it. It's similar to UA but a lot stronger - though I think UA had more character. If you liked stuff like Rust, I think you'll enjoy this. Plus, it's probably the best production Megadeth's ever had.

Did leaked on a European site. It has been removed since then, but I think it is the genuine thing after listened and reviewed it.

I guess I was at the right place at the right time. Anyway the album comes out in two weeks.