Megadeth - Rust In Peace Anniversary Tour

I didn't get my ticket in time for this show but I thought I might drive up and see what people were asking in front of the venue. I tried ebay and they were way too high there.

I didn't get my ticket in time for this show but I thought I might drive up and see what people were asking in front of the venue. I tried ebay and they were way too high there.

It didn't surprise me that it sold out, but it did surprise how quick. I bought mine through the pre-sale.

I was at the Thursday show and here is my review:

:OMG:

What were the set times between Exodus, Testament, and Megadeth? Did it seem like Megadeth took the stage overly late or anything?

~Brian~

What were the set times between Exodus, Testament, and Megadeth? Did it seem like Megadeth took the stage overly late or anything?

~Brian~

It went like clockwork. There was 15mins between Exodus and Testament and 30 mins before Megadeth. Megadeth was done by 11PM. Mustaine pretty much said 3 words the entire time. It was song to song to song.

I don't think so - Glenn Drover was playing with Testament - and as far as I know - it's for the entire tour.

You're correct. That's the only downside to this tour that I can see, no Skolnick. Why in the name of Heaven the Alex Skolnick Trio couldn't postpone their tour is beyond me. :rolleyes: Who gives a rat's ass about jazz? LOL That'll piss someone off on here I'm sure.

~Brian~

You're correct. That's the only downside to this tour that I can see, no Skolnick. Why in the name of Heaven the Alex Skolnick Trio couldn't postpone their tour is beyond me. :rolleyes: Who gives a rat's ass about jazz? LOL That'll piss someone off on here I'm sure.

~Brian~

I believe they're support for Rodrigo y Gabriela as far as what I've heard, so it isn't their tour. Maybe they're doing some off dates, but I'm almost positive they're support for Rodrigo y Gabriela's US tour.

Thanks for the info.
i didn't know that Alex was sitting out on this Testament tour, which makes sense since this was postponed originally.

Who is Rodrigo and Gabriela???? Is this a jazz duo or something?
(and yes, I am being serious, so if this is some well know act, I truly am unaware)

Thanks for the info.
i didn't know that Alex was sitting out on this Testament tour, which makes sense since this was postponed originally.

(and yes, I am being serious, so if this is some well know act, I truly am unaware)

They are a duo guitar instrumental band from Mexico I believe. Really good stuff. Acoustic/flamenco guitar but they are unbelievable players. They've actually covered some metal songs like Orion and they did a version of Stairway to Heaven (not saying that's metal btw). They've actually been sort of popular in the metal community, despite them not being metal.

Alex' heart is in that music. Obviously he gives a rat's ass. Besides, their music is killer to boot.

I suppose he does.

I didn't have a clue who he was either, nor do I care to be honest.

~Brian~

Dude....do yourself a favor and at least do some research before bashing. They are a flamenco duo that absolutely slayed on Letterman some time back...

Simmer down Scott. I wasn't bashing, but simply stating, I don't care to know who they are. Jazz is simply background music to me, sorry. It's a musician's music mostly and it bores me to tears.

~Brian~

but I'm almost positive they're support for Rodrigo y Gabriela's US tour.

Yep, just saw RyG in St. Louis last week. Only caught the last half-song of Alex Skolnick Trio, but he came back and played a couple songs with Rodrigo and Gabriela, one on acoustic, and the one from their latest album on which he recorded an electric guitar solo (and that song is RyG's tribute to Dimebag Darrell, curiously enough).

Now I've seen RyG perform with the guitarist from Testament and the bass player from Metallica (not the dead one, or the one in Voivod). I guess that means they'll have Mustaine singing with them next. Must be pretty insane for them, since those dudes are their heroes.

Gabriela actually told a story about the first time Testament came to Mexico, and she and Rodrigo were so excited to see them: "We're gonna see fookin' Alex Skolnick, man!!!" Then when the gig started, they found out that he wasn't playing with them on that tour. And now, there are probably some kids in the US expecting to see Skonick with Testament, and just like RyG, they'll be surprised and disappointed, and this time, it'll be THEIR FAULT! Payback, I guess? :lol:

This time in St. Louis was actually probably RyG's most "metal" performance so far...tying in with the original topic, Rodrigo even played a bit of something from 'Rust in Peace'...I've seen 'em five times, and their metal nods have always been the more obvious ones, even though I think they actually like the "underground" stuff more, so that was cool to see it finally come out. Even though 90% of the crowd has no idea!

So yeah, they're awesome.

Neil

Simmer down Scott. I wasn't bashing, but simply stating, I don't care to know who they are. Jazz is simply background music to me, sorry. It's a musician's music mostly and it bores me to tears.

But the point is, it's not jazz. Sure Alex Skolnick Trio is, but not Rodrigo y Gabriela (technically, they aren't flamenco either, but that's a different story). They're former thrash-metal musicians that now do amazing things (particularly Gabriela) on acoustic guitar.

Most definitely not "musician's music".

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
But the point is, it's not jazz. Sure Alex Skolnick Trio is, but not Rodrigo y Gabriela (technically, they aren't flamenco either, but that's a different story). They're former thrash-metal musicians that now do amazing things (particularly Gabriela) on acoustic guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lvMQCmUVv8

Most definitely not "musician's music".

Neil

Well, I stand corrected then. You're right, it's definitely not jazz, but I thought that's what Alex was into playing. With that said, it's still not my thing, but interesting nevertheless. :kickass:

~Brian~

I saw the RiP tour in Indy. It was awesome. All 3 bands kicked butt. My only complaint as I had front row tickets (yes these were seats) and I actually went and stood in back, behind all the seats to hear RIP better as the stage sound itself was crap since we were in front of the PA. But all 3 bands slayed. I was amazed at how much money this show must have brought in. The T-shirt line was literally 100 people long from the moment I walked in the door until well after the show ended. I wouldn't be surprised if they sold over 1000 shirts.