4. Apkallu Counsel
5. Tablets of Fate
6. Triangular Tattvic Fire
7. The Arrival Ritual
8. Incendium Between Mirage and Time
9. Purifier of the Stars
10. Caravans to Ur
11. Babylon Fell

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I can’t say enough about how brilliant this album is. Did I mention that it’s brilliant? Totally evading me last year, this without doubt would have been top 5 material of 2003. MELECHESH are one of those bands that you can’t get enough of, and I’ve yet to search through their back catalogue, however deep it goes. These guys are the epitome of riff-frenzied atmospheres WITHOUT becoming chaotic in that MORBID ANGEL manner. This needs to be spelled out up front because of the Sumerian undertones (indeed, the band refer to their style as “Mesopotamian Metal” and people immediately think of Trey & co. so the comparison is inevitable.)

In any case, MELECHESH are totally unique! In this day and age, who would have believed? They mix elements of black metal in with hammering death metal, all to the tune of a middle-eastern incantation for raising the fallen demons of old. Of interest in particular are the riff changes, and the way that they’re always introduced. Kick-drums build up the tension, guitar picks screech down the strings, the bass starts pounding away – the whole collection of all these attributes on Sphynx just blow my mind. This is the exact antidote to something like MITHRAS, where everything seems well composed and sequential, as opposed to flying off on tangents into black holes of oblivion. (Note that both MITHRAS and MELECHESH are now two of the greatest DM contenders to rise to the occasion in the last 12 months).

Push. The. Envelope.

Anyway, if you want a reasonably recent album that demands to be heard on headphones, Sphynx is it. Well, perhaps Sphynx and BLUT AUS NORD’s The Work Which Transforms God. Either way, get this like there’s no tomorrow, and if for any other reason, it would be to hear one of the greatest DM songs of all time, I shit thee not: “Apkallu Counsel”. Radical double-bass drumming in perfect symmetry with old school open-E riffs that scream ‘Max Cavalera’ before he turned into a circus act. MELECHESH are what you might get if you were to throw DECAPITATED and AETERNUS out in the desert, only to seal them in a tomb together with ORPHANED LAND, mummify the whole mess of ugly offspring into one big fuck off band aid, and release this bastard curse a thousand years later to wreak havoc on your lower bowel movements. Honestly, if you’re plugged up, listen to this and treat yourself to a self-induced enema.

9/10

i've been meaning to check them out for some time now, and it seems this review pushed them forth some in the line of band waiting for me to direct some attention their way

*downloading apkallu counsel*

Papa - "Babylon Fell" is a bonus track. I assume it's not on the digipak.

And yes, I totally forgot to mention Andy LaRocque in my review. Of course, he only happened to co-produce the album...

And you had this at #16 in your top 25 of 2003? Sheeyat, this would have easily been top 10 material for me. :cool:

yeah, I'll agree with PJ about the production. Djinn has a colder production, not as polished, which might be why I prefer it.

JayKeeley said:
Papa - "Babylon Fell" is a bonus track. I assume it's not on the digipak.

And yes, I totally forgot to mention Andy LaRocque in my review. Of course, he only happened to co-produce the album...

And you had this at #16 in your top 25 of 2003? Sheeyat, this would have easily been top 10 material for me. :cool:
I need to go back and see how that list has held up as of late.

Yes, its a great album! I saw them at Northern lights, They were explosive, they are one of the best live bands ever! and they seem like nice guys, and Proscriptor is a God!

Not really digging this.
JayKeeley said:
Radical double-bass drumming in perfect symmetry with old school open-E riffs that scream ‘Max Cavalera’ before he turned into a circus act.
I think this is why. It seems I don't like thrash-based death metal, which probably explains why I don't dig on The Chasm either. Give me Morbid Angel Madness any day of the week over this kind of stuff.

But I'll give it a few tries as the mood is actually pretty good, so maybe the music will grow on me.

There is SO much detail going on, I bet 90% of Melechesh listeners don't even realize. Has anyone who owns a real copy ever seen the multi-media seciton on the CD? There is a small thesis equivalent of information on the instruments, drum patterns (including music annotation), tribal chanting, etc. They put much more effort than, say, Nile when creating these rhythm patterns, actually following *real* traditional ritual/song structures.

There is not a metal band on the planet that sounds like Melechesh (at least on Sphynx anyway). I haven't heard their debut but I hear it's much more straightforward BM. Still 'absorbing' Djinn.