Best Death Metal of 2006

what's the general consensus of Martyr from Canada around here???
Not sure if you heard, but Martyr has signed on for Chicago Powerfest (don't let the name throw you, it's not a Power Metal fest). Novembers Doom and Shatter Messiah (<-- think Nevermore, but thrashier) have also signed on. They've yet to announce either of the headliners. Given that they moved this to what's suppose to be a very cool club, given I've always wanted to check out Chicago, and because Jet Blue has round trip flights out of JFK for $99, I'm going. Dark One, I believe, is also planning to attend. You should consider it.

Zod

My comments as follows based on one listen each...

Vorkreist - Great Order Of Sterile Lunacy (evil black/death)
Excellent stuff. Probably the best song on the comp. All those tempo and riff changes create the atmosphere I like. This is a solid 9/10 song.

Aeternus - The Darkest Of Minds
Bland. 3/10

Heinous Killings - Possessed To Kill (novelty brutality, with the sickest vocals in the business)
I love the Amityville Horror samples at the beginning and end. The vocals are guttural barking, I mean wtf!! I don't even know how to rate it, haha.

Resurrected - Seducer Of Mankind
Average. 4/10

Lecherous Nocturne - The Divine Wind (featuring Dallas from Nile on drums)
Average 5/10

Saprogenic - Trepanation
Crap. 3/10

Deamon - Praying Headless (possibly track of the year)
Great leads and drumming is awesome, but not enough variety in the riffs/tempo changes.... 6/10

General Surgery - Arterial Spray Obsession
Great! Love the headbanging rhythms throughout. 8/10

Unmerciful - Mass Execution
Crap. 3/10

Drawn And Quartered - The Throne Of Desolation (Befouling The Scriptures) (Immolation meets Incantation. Crushing, mid-paced DM)
OUTSTANDING. This is atmosphere for the tomb of the living dead. 9/10

Corphagy - Ascension
Somewhat unique, a little different, but too much blarghu. 5/10

Dominion - Temple Of Insects
Not bad. Some great moments. 6/10

Sinister - The Riot Crossfire
The last half is better than the first. Not bad. 5/10

Benighted - Ransack The World
Meh. 4/10

Yyrkoon - The Book (trendy DM that a lot of the RC regulars will enjoy, no doubt)
Yeah, I like this. The melody in the guitar leads in that mid-section is great. Not bad at all. 7/10

Degrade - Degraded Into Worms Mk. 2
Crap. 3/10

Abominator - Blasphemous Embellishment (for fans of ANGEL CORPSE and good music)
Is this a demo or something? What happened to the production? 3/10?

So I approve of:
VORKREIST
GENERAL SURGERY
DRAWN & QUARTERED
YRKOON

Tell me more about those 4 bands, in particular, Drawn & Quartered. I'm sure I've heard this band before from another thread recommendation. This band is leading the charge! :kickass:

Correction: the best (and perhaps only, though I'm not sure) death metal album I've heard this year is Dissection's Reinkaos. It really is damn good; great melodies, riffs, lyrics (yes they are) etc. I know Jayk posted some positive comment about the album somwhere, but that's the only thing I can remember from anyone on this board.

I didn't really get into it when it was first released but it's pretty much all I've been listening to the last month. Great album.

regarding reinakos, im basing my opinion entirely based on maha kali. c'mon people it was shit. a cleaned up, modern day, over melodic, in flamed, cosmicrap dissection

Eh, sure it's super catchy, but I think it's a really good track. But the rest of the album isn't exactly like that, so you might want to give it a try (I'm well aware that you're probably not going to though!).

Heinous Killings - Possessed To Kill (novelty brutality, with the sickest vocals in the business)

Oh c'mon, this is just RIDICULOUS.

So I downloaded this compilation anyway, and will give it a try, but I honestly expect to hate every single thing on here!

Yyrkoon is definitely worthwhile, but I thought that their last album, Occult Medicine, was considerably stronger than the new one.

Oh c'mon, this is just RIDICULOUS.

So I downloaded this compilation anyway, and will give it a try, but I honestly expect to hate every single thing on here!

Lol, yeah, the vocals are pretty ridiculous, no doubt about that. Still, somehow I find myself listening to it again and again :loco:

Besides Martyr, other death metal I liked this year, in no particular order:
Anata
Soulscar
Neglected Fields
Obsidian (if that's death metal)
Insomnium (I remember liking it, but can't remember what it sounds like so I might be thinking of another one)

I imagine most of this will appeal to very few of you, except maybe the Soulscar which is catchy as all hell, and maybe Obsidian for Nad, because they try to sound like Meshuggah a lot.