Best "Alternative" Metal of 2006

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Red Sparrowes is awesome, but the lack in vocals shortens the shelf life.

Same with Explosions in the Sky -- really nice, but give me some vocals to hang with

The new Hammers of Misfortune is very excellent, but of course, they've set the benchmark with the August Engine so it's always going to live in that shadow. Still, it's better than 90% of what else is out there

The new Isis isn't as good as Panopticon.

Gojira's "From Mars to Sirius"...is it 2006 or not...don't care, but it's good enough to buy a ticket to see them supporting Children of Boredom.

Ihsahn....couldn't get into it.

Zombi's great...but itplays too much like a movie soundtrack and so it inevitably becomes 'background' music

The last Arcturus -- was that 2006? -- either way, it was bloody awful

Red Sparrowes is awesome, but the lack in vocals shortens the shelf life.

Same with Explosions in the Sky -- really nice, but give me some vocals to hang with

I disagree, this type of music is meant to be instrumental (which is a plus as it can work for both background music and attentive listening) and its atmosphere would be severely compromised by the addition of vocals IMO. The latter didn't have a release this year, but their next one comes out in February. I agree with your assessment of HOM and Isis, both are awesome (a solid 9, though lower in HOM's case if only for Scalzi's lower profile) but brought down by having to compete with their defining statements.

I tried plugging this around here when it came out near the beginning of the year, but:

OM "Conference of the Birds" is a good album and some people here should like it! Short, relaxing, meditative doom-influenced music (bass, drums, vocals) by the other dudes from Sleep that aren't Matt Pike!

"At Giza" is the opening track, much more relaxed without the distorted bass that characterized the last album (and returns on the second track).

warning: lame lyrics

I tried plugging this around here when it came out near the beginning of the year, but:

OM "Conference of the Birds" is a good album and some people here should like it! Short, relaxing, meditative doom-influenced music (bass, drums, vocals) by the other dudes from Sleep that aren't Matt Pike!
yes! gonna see OM friday night with Mammatus. should be awesome.

Happens sometimes. I agree on Ihsahn (awful to me), Isis (what a disappointment, Oceanic resurfaces as their true and only one masterpiece) and Zombi (live they're quite entertaining but studio it gets tedious too fast)