Melodic Black Metal

futile said:
The new Naglfars pretty cool ive gotta say...

I think I'm the only guy on the RC forum that doesn't like these guys. I've heard a few songs ("I Am Vengeance" and "A Swarm of Plagues") and neither of them grabbed me in the least. Henrik Main will be pissed, but from what I hear, he's a model puss and I'm 5 foot 7 inches of solid muscle (under the flab of course). :tickled:

JayKeeley said:
The new Naglfar album? "Pariah"? One listen in....

KICKING. MY. ASS.

Just at the top of their game...."...YOUR EMPIRES ARE FALLEN..." :kickass:

Several listens in.....unbelievable album. Just a whiplash frenzy of massive riffs. It's a fucking blitzkrieg!

AND THE WORLD SHALL BE YOUR GRAVE! <- best song on the album, holy shit this smokes

The drumming on this release is relentless. I really hope people gave this one a fair chance....so fucking dark sounding too.

Could be the best Naglfar album yet.

For me they were always the typical "one good song per album" kind of band. Too much generic riffing in between. They need to lay down the book and plug the guitars straight into their heart.

Bottom line: meh

@Ellestin: Spoken like someone who probably gave this 1 or 2 listens tops. Unless I'm wrong and you exhausted the potential out of this to the nth degree and if so, fair enough.

But what will you do if Erik says he likes it? :loco:

MadeInNewJersey said:
I'll give it another couple spins, but this is just crazy talk!

I know! The only song on this which sounds Dissection-esque is "The Perpetual Horrors", otherwise the rest are very much Naglfar doing their own blackened'ish viking'ish death metal thang'ish. The drumming = explosive TNT up yer ass.

JayKeeley said:
@Ellestin: Spoken like someone who probably gave this 1 or 2 listens tops.
I used to own everything through to "Sheol". So they're no untrodden territory, yeah. And I used to spin them quite often actually, but at a given point my interest in this whole Swedish-melodeath dropped several degrees and so only the true killer songs were still working.

JayKeeley said:
But what will you do if Erik says he likes it? :loco:
haha... I wouldn't care shit. Honestly think what thou wilt but while I find this whole oompa-loompa business funny and all, my tastes and Erik's are like water and oil on several issues. :p

at first listen i hated it and now i don't. it's rather charming in its amateurishness after all, even though in terms of actual quality it is maybe even below old C-league pals like NOCTES and MISTELTEIN

it is, of course, an unreleased leftover from 1997 so that explains how a 2021 black metal release can be not utter hogwash

fun fact: this was what martin lopez and martin mendez were doing before they joined opeth