Melodic Death Metal

this is my whole challenge/issue with this genre..the lines are blurred and know what style to call a band based on any number of characteristics of their music. Mellow-Death, Mellow-Black, Technical-Melodic-Death....

Sure, we could compartmentalize the genre into ever-dwindling subsets of bands that sound alike.

To me there are two kinds of metal:

1. The metal I like.
2. The metal I don't like.

Fin.

NOT all technical DM bands incoporate melody into thier music...

Examples : Hate Eternal, Krisiun, Dying Fetus, Suffocation, Decapitated, Cryptopsy, ect..

Some of these bands may incorporate some melody but it's not a main source in the music .

Bands like Quo Vadis, Cynic, (Later) Death, (New) Decrepit Birth, ect... do incorporate melody as a main factor in the music.

From what ive heard of Suffocation that's brutal death o_O

Love it... In Flames, COB, Dark Tranquility, Hypocrisy, Soilwork and Kalmah are probably my faves...

Also Like melodic deathy doomy stuff like Entwine and Sentenced...

My favorites of the genre, although now I am mixing prog-melo-death/black into it are:

Opeth
Agalloch
DT
Asguat
The Woods of Ypres
old In Flames
Carcass
and most of the aforementioned

So the question now is, are any of you guys playing in any melo-death bands? I write a lot of music, usually with a style akin to Colony-era In Flames in mind, but my Maiden influence is so strong that i end up writing "standard" heavy metal instead :(

Surprised nobody mentioned The "Heartwork" era of Carcass. Great melodic death album

My favorites of the genre, although now I am mixing prog-melo-death/black into it are:

Opeth
Agalloch
DT
Asguat
The Woods of Ypres
old In Flames
Carcass
and most of the aforementioned

Of course, we can't forget about Carcass - Heartwork.

Shocked and bewildered that nobody here has given a nod to the mighty Carcass and their legendary Heartwork album.

Last night I almost had an aneurysm which explains my lack of replies to this subject. So this morning before I came home I asked the doctor why I might have had this aneurysm. He replied that it was stress-induced, because nobody on this thread mentioned Carcass- Heartwork. :(

:loco:

Nah in all seriousness, tech death and melodic death have specific sounds. The names themselves don't really have anything to do with the sound of the genre and are more or less titles. Kinda like how you can have NWOBHM bands from the US (or Germany.. ACCEPT ring a bell?) or call a band like Impaled "old school death metal". Just genres, not necessarily musical descriptions.

There are plenty of death metal bands that are technical. Suffocation, is definitely one of those bands. However they are not tech death. Tech death is like Necrophagist, Spawn Of Possession, Decrepit Birth, Severed Savior, The Faceless etc. They all share a similar sound. Same can be said for melodic death (aka that whole "gothenburg sound").

Shocked and bewildered that nobody here has given a nod to the mighty Carcass and their legendary Heartwork album.

I think Carcass is way above and beyond this thread.:worship:

I consider Heartwork to be one of the originators of the "melodic death metal" sound but lets not forget that there were others around that same time that did similar things, though they were not as hugely popular as Carcass was. Pestilence(Testimony of the Ancients) is a good example. Awesome album, with a lot of melody and strong sense of harmony, i.e. not just noise.. heck even Therion was dabbling with melody in their own brand of death metal around this time as well(maybe even earlier than others). Didn't Amorphis and Fear Factory start around this time too(early nineties)? They too mixed death metal with melody, be it with melodic lead guitars, synths or the occasional clean vocal here and there.

Either way, I usually don't lump Carcass with In Flames or DT because they are so different from each other. Carcass was so much more than just melodic death metal, taking nothing away from In Flames or DT of course. I consider Arch Enemy and Callenish Circle to be closer to the Heartwork sound than any of the gothenburg bands.. but then again, we might just be dealing with semantics here.