Melodyne Direct Note Access - !!!!!!!!

This is for use on a polyphonic instrument - not multiple instrument tracks. You would use this on just a piano track, or just a guitar track. It can not be used to separate complete stereo mixes.

This is for use on a polyphonic instrument - not multiple instrument tracks. You would use this on just a piano track, or just a guitar track. It can not be used to separate complete stereo mixes.

Yes, yes... we all know. We're just wondering what would turn out IF we would use it on a multiple instrument track. ;)

Well, give it 10 - 20 years and that will happen. The human brain is fairly able to separate each instrument in a mix, though not perfectly. So it's only a matter of properly modelling the human brain musical function. In the end, the brain is nothing more than a regular micro controller, albeit a lot more powerful than man-made devices (so far). With nanotechnology coming to the doorstep, we'll take a huge leap towards a perfect human brain modelling capability - and perhaps even beyond.

This is insane.
Ok, there might be cases where it works worse than for a piano, an acoustic guitar or a pop singer, but still...

But to be honest, I don't see any evil here. Why should it be wrong to enhance a recorded performance? People are right when they say, that the musical skill gets less and less important the better technology gets, but that's true since the advent of multitrackers and overdubbing. At the end of the day the result is the important thing for me. And if I listen to a great song I don't care if the guitar part has been recorded 127 times or just twice and 'melodyned' afterwards.

But to be honest, I don't see any evil here. Why should it be wrong to enhance a recorded performance? People are right when they say, that the musical skill gets less and less important the better technology gets, but that's true since the advent of multitrackers and overdubbing. At the end of the day the result is the important thing for me. And if I listen to a great song I don't care if the guitar part has been recorded 127 times or just twice and 'melodyned' afterwards.

That's basically how I feel. If someone without the talent is made to sound like they do have the talent, it will be them who looks like an ass when they try to reproduce it on stage and can't do it. No one is going to blame the recording engineer! I would much rather use my time as efficiently as possible in the studio and have my focus set on the final product. If you want to put the blame on someone for the downfall of musical integrity or whatever you want to call it, the blame lies on the big record company executives for creating the modern pop star.

This is definitely revolutionary, but I don't think it has much more potential for 'evil' usage than midi. We've been able to move late snare beats and edit the dynamics of already played piano parts using midi since the early 80's.

As long as live performances continue to exist, I wouldn't care how good the technology gets (as long we don't get to the point of nuking each other with entry-level editions of Cubase).

I thought there are some programs that separates track from a mixdown i think.Can melodyne make a midi sound real time what i can replace after?Like i play distortion guitars live, i split the guitar signal one signal goes to the amp, one to the pc->melodyne->accoustic guitar simulator, software synth .....?hm?
V