12. 11 Dreams (3-D mix)
13. 11 Dreams (radio edit)

Label: Century Media Records
Release date: 2004
Artist site:
http://www.mercenary.dk/
GRADE:
9/10

I must admit right from the start that I knew nothing of this band before this promo hit my desk. I wasn’t aware of their previous work and so it was with great surprise that I was blown through the wall when the title track of this album came blaring through my speakers. The chorus is a wall of melody and power that instantly struck a nerve, in a wonderful way and for the first time ever, I think a label almost got it right on the band’s bio, calling this “a blending of Natural Born Chaos-era SOILWORK and DEVIN TOWNSEND’s Ocean Machine infused with the blood-soaked blasphemy of melodic death metal and rich soundscapes of prog/power metal.” Almost, as I wouldn’t call their melo-death “blood-soaked blasphemy;” I wouldn’t want to turn off those not into DM and I wouldn’t want to mislead those that are into DM.

The first song is an intro, followed by “World Hate Center,” a pounding double bass number, the verses featuring harsh screamed vocals, the chorus an infectious clean vocal. Is it a tried formula? Yes, but let’s put it this way, it’s like hamburgers, it’s nothing new, but if you know how to make one, it’s going to be down right tasty! Guitarists Jakob Molbjerg and Martin Buus know how to lay the layers on, the guitars are thick throughout. Immediately following is the aforementioned title track, again, pure bliss. Brothers Mikkel and Morten Sandager, the band’s vocalist and keyboardist, respectfully, work so well together, just listen to the melodies the two share. This is absolutely one of the most well written songs I have heard in years. I can hum the solos, the breakdowns, pretty much everything, it’s like a heavy metal JOURNEY, and I mean that in the most positive way, as a huge fan of Steve Perry and Neal Schon. A simply brilliant song.

The band’s riffs are very thick and possess a lot of power, throw in the soaring vocals and it’s a winning combination. “reDestructDead” reminds me of NEVERMORE in spots, a nice tour that would be. In fact, on “Firesoul” the vocals remind me of early SANCTUARY during the verse and the hook. I am simply amazed that I had never heard of or been told about this band until receiving the promo!! Since then, I have gone back and purchased Everblack, but to these ears, 11 Dreams is far more accomplished.

The epic strain of “Supremacy V2.0,” clocking in at over 8 minutes, is another personal highlight for me. Especially right around the 6 minute mark, such killer vocal arrangements that follow the leads all over the place. “Music Non Stop” starts and for some reason, I think of the CARDIGANS musically! But somehow, by the time the chorus kicks in, I’m intoxicated and hooked! The buried keyboard lines are picked up much better on headphones, so I suggest you try it! The vocal arrangements at the end of "Falling" as it fades and the piano is brought in are another personal highlight.

A very powerful and compelling release, 11 Dreams has provided me with many hours of sonic enjoyment. I could do without the pointless remix and radio edit of the title track tacked on to the end, but other than that, an excellent release from a promising band.

PJ