Mesa Boogie Rectifier Preamp!!

ZHJ&T

Dec 7, 2002
www.zerohourweb.com
Have any of you had a chance to play the Rectifier preamp? I have a Dual Rectifier head and love it. Was wondering how it compares and have any of you record or played live with this?

Thanks,

Jasun

hey brett good stuff. i never heard the stuff you recorded. you've been more than friendly on a number of occasions and obviously you are the webmaster and all so you are totally due for a two thumbs up on the recorded stuff... sounds fantastic.

quick question: for the track with the female vox that you recorded with the recto pre, what mic did u use on the cab and what mic preamp did you record into. im guessing either the fireface or the octamic. and if so then im also guessing you used the converters on those units.

once again awesome tunes

and ps: you also like DT so another two thumbs up for that

Stop it I'm gonna blush, lol
For To-Mera the setup was 4 rhythm tracks of an Ibanez UV777 into Ibanez TS9DX into Mesa Rectifier Preamp into Mesa 2: 100 preamp into Mesa Cabinet, with one SM57 direct into the Fireface.
Yeah I used to like DT (not much anymore with their recent albums) and have been working for their French fan club for a while.

ya i hear you i dislike the new album except two songs (repentance and ministry of lost souls) everything else is really weak for me.

im an images and words/awake era fan and i like train of thought a lot.

yeah btu so the recto preamp sounds good.

and yes iaw/sfam/awake are the best three albums of any band IMO as far as being on a purely musical level and a good mix of musicianshiup, songwriting, production etc. etc. especially awake

Hear hear...I don't think I've ever done as much of 180 on my feelings for a band as when I heard Train of Thought (though some of the stuff on Six Degrees was pretty terrible, mostly on the second disc, like War Inside my Head/Test that Stumped them all...bleeccchhhh). Oh well, I love them for the old, and loathe 'em for the new, mostly because of the lame melodramatic show-tune vibe that Rudess brought.

And on the topic of the thread, I'm sure it sounds great, but I can't help but chuckle that the "Rectifier Recording Preamp" doesn't even have its namesake, a tube rectifier! I guess it goes to show that the rectifier component really has very little to do with what makes those amps sound as awesome as they do.

Yeah, no problem - I mean that the Mesa dual and triple rectifier amps, as far as I know, got their names because of the quantity of tube rectifiers they had (as opposed to the solid state-only rectifiers in many other amps, which of course is still an option on the Mesas), which to me implies that if they named the amp after these components, the components must have some special effect on the sound. But the Recto Recording Preamp is supposed to sound like a Dual Rectifier, yet it doesn't have the rectifier tubes that its big brother does, meaning the recto tubes must not be the main aspect in generating the sound of these amps we all know and love (excepts for Frankzappa, of course :p ). Just an amused observation on a misleading choice of names for a legendary amp line.

Ah ok thanks a lot, I think I understand better now... I think :)
Although I have to note that, taken from the rectifier pre manual:

"Keep in mind that the CHANNEL 2 MODERN experience can be further enhanced in a LIVE application by using the companion power amplifier, the Rectifier Stereo 2:100. By connecting the EXT. TRIGGER MODERN jack on its Rear Panel to the Recto Preamps’ MODERN trigger jack the power amp will track the preamp MODERN mode and auto-remove the negative feedback every time you select MODERN on the preamp. This scheme duplicates the sonic authority as it recreates the exact circuit of the Dual Rectifier Solo Head in this rack mount platform."

And this is how I used it on the albums I worked on. Does that make it a real rectifier now? :)