Single or Dual/Triple-Rectifier or Rectifier Preamp?

jotain031.jpg

..and it looks wicked as well :headbang: The picture is from my home studio thingy. My Triple Recto + Mesa Recto Standard 4X12" and my ENGL Invader 100 + Orange PPC412 black

Dude, that pic just defines gorgeous! :headbang:

Just for the love of god test them both with a Tube Screamer! (typical settings, Drive 8:30, Tone 11:00, Level 12:00)
I hate Tube Screamers (I have a Digitech Bad Monkey, 2nd price winner in the TS lookalike contest), but everybody seems to use them in front of their 5150/6505 or Rectos and using them even seems to be mandatory.
I never used a pedal that made my sound better, they all degraded it somehow.
I have to use pedals to make my Marshalls roar, but that does not make me very happy.
I am searching for an amp that will sound fine without any pedal in front of it.
If a 2500,- EUR amp does not do this, it will probably not be my amp.

You'll never get the Recto tones that you hear on records without a Tubescreamer bro, they are very loose sounding amps on their own but with a TS they are unstoppable!

The reason I bought my Rectoverb instead of a Dual to begin with is because I hate the fucking diamond plate faceplate :lol: The Rectoverb has a nice black weave faceplate, if I was getting a Dual I think I'd have no choice but to go Roadster :lol:

Seriously man, really all the TS serves as is a filter for the lows (hence the drive at 8:30 part), and while I agree it's a bit strange that the amp really needs one to sound good, once it has it it's the best amp out there IMO!

Just for the love of god test them both with a Tube Screamer! (typical settings, Drive 8:30, Tone 11:00, Level 12:00)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot!

To get a tight rhythm tone from a Recto, an overdrive pedal makes a huge difference! The settings Metaltastic posted are a great starting point!

And when you play one, remember that the presence control is super aggressive on the red channel, so you can turn it waaaay down. (8o'clock is a good starting point)

The EQ section of a Recto is quite interesting and unique, but once you get a hang of it, it's amazing. You see, the treble control has a big effect on how the mid and bass controls behave/sound. The more treble, the more edge you get, and the mid and bass controls will also have an "edgier tone". I usually have the treble at 1o'clock, mid at 10o'clock and bass at 10o'clock when going for a rhythm tone.

Then I use the presence to dial in some brightness, but I usually don't use a lot. ( 12o'clock on the orange channel 8o'clock on the red)

Then, when going for a creamier tone for leads etc. I turn the treble control down to 10o'clock to make the tone smoother, because like I said, the treble has a big effect on how the mid and bass controls behave.

These are something I have learned along the way. Just, don't use the Sneap/Nevermore settings on a 3channel head/red channel!

I heard of difficulties people have when they try to cope with the EQ, so I downloaded and read the Recto manual and it is pretty explicit about how to use the EQ and how to NOT use it. Thanx TomiR, I will print your post and bring it to the store when I test the Rectos.

Seriously man, really all the TS serves as is a filter for the lows (hence the drive at 8:30 part)
This exact low-end filtering is what makes me hate the Tube Screamers. I like a big low end and TS's are destroying it. But Rectos are said to have big low end capabilities, so maybe the TS is not ripping everything apart.

I agree with TomiR's settings, though I like the treble a bit lower at around 11:30 (it's pretty much the "beehive" knob :D), so experiment! But yeah, they're definitely in the ballpark!

And dude, the reason Rectos need the TS is they have too much low end; the TS makes it just right IMO!

OK, I'll give it a try and bring my Bad Monkey for testing (bah!). The thought of having to put a 50,- stomp box before my 2500,- amp makes me feel bad. I hope that the sound of the amp itself still shines through. Although TS's are told to NOT alter the sound, I think that all TS's and their clones have this very same weird low-end/low-mid stuff going on which makes everything sound like a TS. e.g. Machine Head's sound is almost TS-only (or OD808, it's all the same...).

To be clear man this is a lot different than buying a Bogner Ecstasy and running a Metalzone into the clean channel... You are still using 98% amp tone and distortion, just EQ'ing and compressing your signal a little before it hits the amp...

The thought of having to put a 50,- stomp box before my 2500,- amp makes me feel bad.

Can't count the number of times I've heard that comment from Mesa owners. And I'm just facepalming away...

"It was sooo expensive, it HAS to sound good on its own!". Yeah, that's logic... clueless mofos.

Edit: That's absolutely not a rant directed at you, as it seems like you know why people put a TS in front of their high gain amps.

To be honest, you can get a great tone out of the Triple at reasonable volume levels. Yeah, it has potential to make the walls come down, but how often do you need to crank a tube amp that loud.

You can get to the sweet spot at totally reasonable volume levels, there's only a minimal diffrence in volume when it comes to the sweet spot of a Triple and a Dual.

A big +1.

Can't count the number of times I've heard that comment from Mesa owners. And I'm just facepalming away...

"It was sooo expensive, it HAS to sound good on its own!". Yeah, that's logic... clueless mofos.

Edit: That's absolutely not a rant directed at you, as it seems like you know why people put a TS in front of their high gain amps.
What amp do you prefer?

What amp do you prefer?

The Dual/Triple Recs. I share the sentiment of the Single sounding a bit harsh and thin compared to the bigger brothers. That's too bad because I like smaller wattage amps.

Your best bet would probably be looking out for a used 2 channel Dual...

Did anybody check out the Fame (or Yerasov) Bulldozer? It claims to be a Rectifier 2ch clone. I once had one for some days, but that was the time where my daughter was born, so I didn't had the time to check it out really and returned it.

Thanx to all of you guys for all the input! Things are getting very much clearer for me now due to your help:
  • The Dual Rectifier is the most recommended version and probably the one to go for.
  • The Triple Rectifier should sound the same as the Dual, it's additional wattage is nothing I would pay extra for. But if I get one, it is as OK as the Dual.
  • The Single Rectifier is told be sound a bit different (as in "worse"), but I'll check that out by myself. The Single has all the features I need.
  • The Rectifier Preamp might need a matching Mesa poweramp to sound the same as a Recto head.
  • I need to be prepared to put a cheap green stomp box in front of the expensive amp to let it sound as expensive as it is.
I'll keep you informed which version I brought home from the store (or ebay) or if I ended up buying an Engl or Peavey instead (who knows)...