Single or Dual/Triple-Rectifier or Rectifier Preamp?

RiF

Dec 29, 2007
Germany
www.planet-goth.de
I am in the market for a Mesa Rectifier. I don't care about the number of channels or clean-sounds, because I will always stick to THE ONE BEST SOUND I get from an amp, no matter if it has 14 channels or just one. Mainly I want a rhythm sound with lots of ooompf and some brutal voicing. I don't care about wattage, too. All my 50W amps are loud enough for everything. Because Mesas are damn expensive, I am searching for the cheapest version. So I need to choose between the Single Rectifier, Dual Rectifier and the Rectifier Preamp (this is by far the cheapest version and I have Tube-Poweramps, so this would be sufficient). Has anybody any experiences if these three versions differ very much soundwise (I am talking about diode-rectified Modern-setting)?

I'd go for dual, triple can sound nice too (slightly different sound) but its FAR too loud as an amp in general IMO
Yes, the triple is TOO LOUD for my purposes. I don't want to kill birds or neighbors, nor do I want to play a stadium gig without a PA (to be honest, I would want to but I don't have the opportunity to do so);-)

My experience with Single Rectifiers has really not been at all favorable; they always sounded kinda harsh and yet undergained to me (cuz you try to turn up the gain and there's even more harshness), but then again, I never tried one with a Tube Screamer. Still, I would REALLY encourage you to go for a Dual, I've never heard a clip of a Single that could match it!

Why? Does it sound better/different than the Single?

To my ears, yes, a Dual/Triple sounds a lot better. If you want that signature Recto tone, get a Dual/Triple.

I owned a Single Rectifier but sold it to fund my Triple Rectifier, which sounds a lot better. (to my ears, that is)

The Single sounded thinner and "raspier" to my ears, while a Dual/Triple has that massive oomph you are looking for, and they are also more juicier when it comes to the distortion. The Single had a more dry tone to it.

But, in the end it's a subjective thing. Who knows, you might like the Single more, but for me personally, to get that 100% Recto chug, you need to get a Dual or a Triple.

Yes, the triple is TOO LOUD for my purposes. I don't want to kill birds or neighbors, nor do I want to play a stadium gig without a PA (to be honest, I would want to but I don't have the opportunity to do so);-)

To be honest, you can get a great tone out of the Triple at reasonable volume levels. Yeah, it has potential to make the walls come down, but how often do you need to crank a tube amp that loud.

You can get to the sweet spot at totally reasonable volume levels, there's only a minimal diffrence in volume when it comes to the sweet spot of a Triple and a Dual.

I've really been loving my Single Rectifier lately... I'm very curious to borrow a Dual and A/B the two and see how close I can get the Single to sound to the best Dual tone I can come up with, I still have a hard time believing they could really be THAT different considering the actual physical differences... A Dual on the silicone diode setting is just a 100 watt Single...

The current standings are:
  1. Dual (maybe Triple) Rec = 5
  2. Single Rec = 1 (-1 due to TomiR's comment on the inferior sound of the Single)
  3. Rectifier Preamp = nobody
There's quite an interesting Triple Rectifier (seems to be in mint condition) on eBay right now, should I go for it or should I wait for a Dual?

I did have the preamp and really liked it a lot.
the direct recording option is totally useless though.

it kicks tons of arse if combined with a good poweramp BUT if you want it to sound like a rectifier you need to switch the negative feedback off, so in that case you'd need the Recto Poweramp which is way too expensive over here.

Yeah, I don't really see any advantage to getting a triple tbh!

Well yeah, to some degree I agree. For me, the Triple was the way to go because I wanted more headroom for the cleans and mid gain tones, but if you are buying the amp for the distorted tone only, then the Dual will serve you well.

But, if you can get a Triple for a good price, then I don't see why you shouldn't get one. It's not that much louder than the Dual, it's the same amp with a bit more headroom.

I have had my Triple for almost two years now, and it just keeps sounding better...

jotain031.jpg

..and it looks wicked as well :headbang: The picture is from my home studio thingy. My Triple Recto + Mesa Recto Standard 4X12" and my ENGL Invader 100 + Orange PPC412 black

I did have the preamp and really liked it a lot.
the direct recording option is totally useless though.

it kicks tons of arse if combined with a good poweramp BUT if you want it to sound like a rectifier you need to switch the negative feedback off, so in that case you'd need the Recto Poweramp which is way too expensive over here.
Hmmm.... sounds as if the "complete" Rectifier sound is made of the preamp AND the poweramp and it might be hard to get that signature Recto sound from the preamp and ANY poweramp (I have a Peavey 50/50).

Lasse, how close would you rate the Preamp's sound (with a non-Recto but good poweramp) to a Dual Rectifier head?

But, if you can get a Triple for a good price, then I don't see why you shouldn't get one. It's not that much louder than the Dual, it's the same amp with a bit more headroom.
I don't see that much of a difference between the Dual and Triple either. So I would not pay anything extra for the Triple, but I wouldn't mind if I get a Triple for the price of a Dual.

I just called my local guitar dealer and they have both a Single and a Dual Rec for testing. So I'll check if the Single really sounds different to the Dual.

Just for the love of god test them both with a Tube Screamer! (typical settings, Drive 8:30, Tone 11:00, Level 12:00)

Hmmm.... sounds as if the "complete" Rectifier sound is made of the preamp AND the poweramp and it might be hard to get that signature Recto sound from the preamp and ANY poweramp (I have a Peavey 50/50).

I can vouch for that from the other side, mainly that the impulses I've tried to make with my Rectifier's power amp have been useable but a bit...odd sounding (almost like there's a bit of the preamp signal being mixed in)