Single or Dual/Triple-Rectifier or Rectifier Preamp?

I read in another thread that you wanted to trade your Recto for a RM100 but finally did not. Is the UltraXL more brutal sounding? Did you try the 1086? The XTC sounded very good, but more hot-rodded-Marshall'esque than head-crushing-brutal to my ears.

Never actually had a chance to play one unfortunately, just going based on clips I've heard :/ Check out Ignominious Incarceration - Of Winter Born, album is all RM100 with the Ultra XL module, as is As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us.

Never actually had a chance to play one unfortunately, just going based on clips I've heard :/ Check out Ignominious Incarceration - Of Winter Born, album is all RM100 with the Ultra XL module, as is As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us.

I'll check those albums out because I am still not done with the Randall, yet. It sounded soooo great and has about 12+ modules, so there must be one brutal one that fits my needs.

Check out Ignominious Incarceration - Of Winter Born, album is all RM100 with the Ultra XL module, as is As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us.
I did, they sound good but too close to my Marshall 30th Anniversary's lead channel. I want something more brutal, sounding like the Engl Savage or Fireball to complement my Marshall tone.

If you are in the market for an ENGL, I recommend the Invader 100. An amazing sounding amp, it can a 5150'ish tone to "Djent" (okay okay, it's not a genre, but just to keep things simple) to death metal.

And actually there are 3channels on the Invader that are able to kick your teeth in with the amount of gain, but all of the channels have a very different sound/response to them.

Four individual channels with separate EQ controls, and all the channels really sound different from each other. And even though you don't seem to need one now, but the Invader does have a great, I mean freaking beautiful clean channel.

Yeah, this amp seems to be a big hit with the "djent"-guys (in a nutshell), but it is able to produce a much rawer tone when needed. I usually dial in a more Carcass' Heartwork meets Swansong type of tone with it, but you can really get a huge range of killer tones out of the amp.

Plug in, put the amp to channel 3, activate the high gain mode and bright mode=brutal as f***

There is thread around here somewhere which explains what, who or when "djent" is... I have to find and read it, I guess ;-)
The stuff you told about the Invader sounds good, because although I really liked the ultra-gain/compressed sound of the Fireball, it is a ony-trick-pony. Interesting that the 150W Invader is cheaper than the 100W Invader here in Germany...

There is thread around here somewhere which explains what, who or when "djent" is... I have to find and read it, I guess ;-)
The stuff you told about the Invader sounds good, because although I really liked the ultra-gain/compressed sound of the Fireball, it is a ony-trick-pony. Interesting that the 150W Invader is cheaper than the 100W Invader here in Germany...

The Invader can do the super-gain/compressed, I usually have tha gain at 9 or 10 o'clock on channel 3 when the high gain mode is engaged.

Channel 3 is my main rhythm channel, but when you have the high gain mode on, channel 2 and 4 have a loooot of gain as well, so you actually have 3 hi-gain channels.

Channel 4 is quite compressed and maybe a bit saggy, it's designed to be more of a lead channel, so it is voiced to suit that. Sounds amazing for singing leads, and the separate EQ's will help to get the best out of every channel.

Channel 2 is an amazing channel as well. Without the hi-gain mode it has a Marshall'ish rock tone, but when you turn the high gain mode on, it also turns into a tight high gain channel. Amazing!

Channel 3, oh yes! An awesome rhythm channel. Has that somewhat scooped tone, but I have had no problems cutting through the mix when needed. Like I mentioned, I usually like to dial in a more Carcass Heartwork oriented tone with this channel, just dial in a healthy dose of presence and you'll be set.

You can get a lot of cool tones with this channel, by just playing with the hi-gain mode (since it also changes the voicing of the channel a bit) and the EQ controls. I just managed to dial the Invader to sound very close to the guitar tone on Bloodbath's newest album... wicked! The hi gain mode is not a must with this channel, and for some types of tones, it is better to leave it off, because like I mentioned, the hi gain mode changes the response and voicing a bit as well, so there's a lot of cool tones to be discovered.

The EQ controls are not anything like the ones on a Recto, so you don't need to worry about that. It's like a "normal" amp when it comes to the controls.(Even though I actually like the Recto EQ section)

The word "djent" is usually used to describe the Meshuggah/Sikth/Bulb type of metal, since nobody really knows what to call that stuff :lol:

Oh, and if they haven't changed the Invader 150, I wouldn't get one, since the bright mode only works on channels one and two on it, whereas it works on all of the channels on the Invader 100. For me, the bright mode is always on when going for a good metal rhythm.

Sounds very much as if I HAVE TO try one of those Invaders. Thanx for your insight. Do you have links to any audio clips maybe?

Bugger, I am on my laptop now, so I don't really have any decent clips now, but I will get some proper ones up later this week.

There are some clips on ENGL's homepage, but I don't personally like the tone on those.

Of course it's not a good idea to judge an amp based on youtube clips, but since I don't have any clips up, there are some cool clips on youtube.

But yeah, I will post clips tomorrow or wednesday.

With "clips" I mean audio-clips, not YouTube-videos. The Invader clips on the ENGL-homepage are OK, but not top notch. The new Kreator - Hordes of Chaos should be recorded with Invaders, I guess, but does not sound that great IMHO.

I couldn't decide... So I just ordered an Axe-FX. I am usually doing recording stuff where high volumes are an issue, BTW. If it doesn't deliver, I can return it anyway.