Mesa Mini Recto

I dunno guys. We gotta play this thing. EL84 might not be perfect, but I had my old Recto head setup with a single set of 6V6s (in El34 mode a'la Eurotubes) and volume was the same as with 6L6s. The little head would still be too loud with 6V6s.

wonder how the new recto 1x12's are gonna sound under the mic! potentially amazing.. potentially everyone will have one for their bedroom studio?

Yeah I didn't know you could run 8 ohm output into a 16 ohm cab.

I could rewire it, but I'm lazy :p

I'm pretty sure it's safe....? I could be wrong.

From my understanding, it's like fitting people into a car.

You can easily fit 8 people into a car that holds 16. But you can't fit 16 people into a car that holds 8. Unless, of course, they are Mexicans. :devil:

I'm pretty sure it's safe....? I could be wrong.

From my understanding, it's like fitting people into a car.

You can easily fit 8 people into a car that holds 16. But you can't fit 16 people into a car that holds 8. Unless, of course, they are Mexicans. :devil:

Lol, Yeah, I think you're right. I just never thought of it before. I always just made sure the cab matched the output. I've never had an amp without 4, 8 & 16 outputs.

I wanna hear this thing go against that Orange Dark Terror...

...but at the end of the day, I really don't care much for anything with less than a 100W on tap. They sure are cute but IMHO serve no purpose on a stage or studio. Unless the stage is like, 4 wood pallets in a hole in the wall club type setting. Cool to have but I'd rather spend the money on another "proper" amp.

Lots of great-sounding clips have been posted of the JCA20H and the Krank Rev Jr. with EL84's. I know they're probably not the ultimate tube for headroom and earth-shaking low-end, but I think they could pull it off.

The Krank doesn't have EL-84s, it has 6L6s.

Sure, the JCA can pull it off, but it requires a boost so it doesn't sound so flubby and muddy and the right cab to not sound boxy and tiny.

Either way, for the price it's going to be... meh. I'd rather have the new 5150 III mini head when it comes out.

^any word on that by the way? it's on the home page of the evh website.. but otherwise nothing?

Not that I know of :(

I think it was supposed to come out at the end of July, but still no word about it that I've heard? Figured it was going to be released after NAMM, but maybe people gave them some good ideas and they went back to revamp it a bit? Who knows.

Really want to check it out though. Last time I played the full version, I really loved the amp. Hopefully they'll go cheap on the used market and I can sell my original 5150 and pick up the III for better cleanssss! :D