Mesa triple or MarkV?

saturnus

Jun 22, 2009
Greece/Athens
I am one step away from buyin a Mesa triple rectifier but i saw some nice reviews of Mark V. What do you propose?
My band is on death\gothenburg style what do u say mates?

Just to mention that ill plug in the amp directly to my soundcard(fireface800) and use impulses.

i had both in my room yesterday, my other guitar player has one.. its really hard to say, they are very different amps. if your willing to spend more money the MkV has alot of options on it. theres just alot of available sounds. The rectifier has alot of sounds also. i think i like the red channel on my recto better than the extreme channel on the mark. but we havent done a whole lot of dialing in to perfection with that thing.. its a close call man. see if you can test them out side by side. MAKE SURE WITH THE RECTO YOU HAVE TUBESCREAMER. MUST.

I really would not recommend a Rectifier of any kind for recording with impulses for the reasons I mentioned in this thread - can't say about the Mark V, but I've never been crazy about what I've heard from the Mark series, so I vote Krank Rev or 'stein tbh!

Will the quality still be good even if i plug the recto or MKV directly to soundcard with some impulses or will i lose my money? Cause in my apartment i cant put an amp, my room mates will kick my ass out of here!

I really would not recommend a Rectifier of any kind for recording with impulses for the reasons I mentioned in this thread - can't say about the Mark V, but I've never been crazy about what I've heard from the Mark series, so I vote Krank Rev or 'stein tbh!

Oddly enough, the clips posted on the thread mentioned above I recorded using the "RECORD OUTPUTS" of the recto preamp. Which already has some odd bullshit going on. (manual says that is the best way:zombie:) Today I dug up a project of a band I did in May. I reamped the DI tracks with the recto recording pre but instead I used the "LIVE OUTPUTS." Which was a little touchy cause of the hot signal, but, I put one of the rectifier impulses I got from this forum on it, probably Catharisis's? (ORG recto more pres) I compaired it to the sound of the recto pre-amp -> 2:100 power amp->recto cab, with a 57 in my favorite spot. The only thing that I noted was a lack of bowel moving bass and a bit of harshness. Otherwise sounded good in a mix.

Nope, that was one of mine, glad you dug it! :) Actually, though, I made that with the power amp in Vintage mode (AKA ORG channel), so it still wouldn't be 100% accurate to the Recto in Modern mode, but cool that it still sounded good!

@ Marcus. I see. ORG= orange lol.. Anyway. I know I don't post nearly as much on here but I look at this forum every day and collected enough impulses to fill a hdd. I went through a ton of impulses including, Guitar Hacks, Recabinet Ghandi and Damien, and a thousand others that I found (not to mention hours fiddling with dials and output configs). That particular impulse was the closest to the original tone of a recto pre, 2:100, recto slant, 57 that I tried I also tried your V2 57 1, 2, and 3. which were good. I made my own impuse of the exact settings and position of the cabinet and the mic. No movement whatsoever, I recently (today) got great results, just realy missing that rumble of the lows. It doesn't sound quite as smooth. But I guess that is an impulse for you. And if I am happier with a mic I guess I must be doing something right... lol

Cool dude, thanks, and yeah, I'd say getting your mic'ed tone to sound better than an impulse is definitely a step in the right direction :D

Yeah, I agree with you. It just pisses me off that I spent over $1000 for that thing and prefer my Jmp-1 which I paid $300 for a few years ago.. way too much dialing in on the recto pre. different cables, different master volume preamp ratios. Just not as good...

as i can see there is no serious reason on buying a triple recto, and it costs a lot but any idea on the Mark V. Is there any chance that this one sound good through impilses?

as i can see there is no serious reason on buying a triple recto, and it costs a lot but any idea on the Mark V. Is there any chance that this one sound good through impilses?

I think what amp with impulses is speculative, I am sure you can get a good sound with most amps and an impulse, it just comes down to how much time you want to fiddle with it. Also if you are going to gig or practice with the amp as well, remember the triple is 150W and the mark is 90W (i believe)

You don't necessarily have to play loud to get a good mic'd tone. Attenuators work, as do small isloation rooms, as skeksis said. I Know LosingReality made an awesome one in a closet that sounds great.

if its being used strictly for a recording preamp, I would say just get a krank rev. jr, or the engl e530 or something rather than blowing the cash on a loud tube head. Maybe a fractal audio guitar fx or something.

that being said, I am yet to find an amp that will outshine the dual recto+recto cab combination for metal!