MESHUGGAH FUCKING RULE!!

Moonlapse said:
One thing I'm disappointed about is their conversion to using PODs on Nothing and the following releases. To me the PODs sound like complete, 2d crap compared to those fantastic dry sounds they pulled from their rectifiers in the past.

really? i like it, therefore you are wrong.

but really, i do like it. its different. although i love the music on DEI, i can't stand the guitar tone. i am not a fan of scooped mids. the guitars on this album have quite possibly the scoopiest guitar sound i have ever heard. i understand their use of it though, being as how they are definetely a rhythmically-oriented band.

oh, and i have the rare trax album, with the dvd...which shows some in-studio footage for the making of chaosphere. they are playing a marshall. i haven't seen it for years, but i think it was a valvestate.

wankerness said:
Contradictions Collapse sounds absolutely nothing like anything they released following it. That's basically just dumb thrash metal. Try getting the songs "Future Breed Machine" and "Concatenation" and "I" and if you hate those then just give up :D
JoeVice said:
oh yah man, they are their own thing now. there is no other band like them. check out catch 33. it is definetely a tough listen. it is very slow moving and droning. for me to enjoy this album, i have to completely immerse myself in it. its a turn-off-the-lights-and-listen-to-the-entire-album album.

also, check out chaosphere (if you can find it).

with each album, they progress. not a single one of their albums is similar in style. well, they are all recognizable as meshuggah...but...you know what i mean.
Ok. Thanks. I'll put some effort into trying to find some clips on the net and checking them out (can't find any metal albums in the crappy stores in my home town and I don't want to order it before I know I'll like it).

If you guys like the Meshuggah style, I'd really recommend checking out Fredrik's old sideproject 'Sol Niger Within'. It ranks up as my second favourite album of all time, right after Still Life.

yea, sol niger within is pretty tight too.

but i love the regular meshuggah stuff more. nothing is my fav album, though pretty much all of them are great except contradictions collapse.

What if Fredrik Thordendal, Tomas Haake, Dan Swanö and Mikael Åkerfeldt teamed up to make an album together...........*cums* :p

I haven't listened to sol niger within actually...

Fredrik is an average guitarist as best. He has no diversity or variety with his playing either. There are plenty of musicians in metal that would be more fitting with mikael or dan swano. Fredrik is one of the most lame guitarists imo.

Mikael is into chord progressions heavily. How would he be able to work with him ?.

The Greys said:
Fredrik is an average guitarist as best. He has no diversity or variety with his playing either. There are plenty of musicians in metal that would be more fitting with mikael or dan swano. Fredrik is one of the most lame guitarists imo.

Despite this already being a completely moronic statement because it's obvious it takes incredible talent to play Meshuggah (especially the solos!) to anyone that understands how to play guitar, shut up until you listen to Sol Niger Within. He's great. He's way better than Swano, that's for sure.

The Greys said:

Mikael is into chord progressions heavily. How would he be able to work with him ?.

... never mind that i don't agree anyway, but do you seriously judge music by the skills to pull off the mechanics rather than the sound? songwriting skill>tech skill, and Fredrik undeniably has some ingenius songwriting ideas.

If you can play future breed machine and the solo easily then I guess you have something here, but believe me the average Meshuggah song is about 200 times harder to play than the average Opeth song. It might just sound like random waffling on low strings to you or something, but it's the most precise rhythm playing I've ever heard. Thordendal is amazing. If you're some kind of prog nerd then listen to "Missing Time," a great big long fusion song with plenty of straightforward and awesome guitar soloing.