Metal 2017

Yeah that new track sounded fine.

Probably a dumb thing to bitch about but I hate when a band is ten albums into their disco and release a self titled album. Feels like they said... well fuck it, I cant think of an album title.

I hate that either. That's good Napalm Death don't have an eponymous album.

the thing l find with every new Obituary release is that, the first song l hear is almost killer and then l hear the album and its just not killer obituary
l still love Obituary

as for the self titled thing after 5 albums...yeah what the fuck is that about? They're rediscovering themselves without us? hah what?

Ordered the tape already, can't wait!

I'm digging these new bands bringing back the osdm sound. It feels like a proper progression from the bands that brought back the 80's thrash sound before them. With all the tech thrash happening in the past few years also, we're basically in 1992 v2.0 for retro metal. I hope this time the outcome is better lol. I may buy it too (the cd) to support.

Reactions: CiG
Modern OSDM isn't a new thing at all btw, it has been happening for at least as long as the thrash revival.

What year did it start?

...and with which bands?

For modern retro thrash i would point to Municipal Waste in the early 2000's (2001-2003ish). For modern OSDM I would say around 2008 or 9 at the earliest with Entrails. Specifically modern OSDM not modern death metal of course

Last edited:
What year did it start?

...and with which bands?

For modern retro thrash i would point to Municipal Waste in the early 2000's (2001-2003ish). For modern OSDM I would say around 2008 or 9 at the earliest with Entrails. Specifically modern OSDM not modern death metal of course

I'd argue that it always persisted in the underground with the likes of Pentacle, Sadistic Intent, Deteriorot and Mortem, but the revival definitely began before 2008 with bands like Repugnant, Slugathor, Deathevokation, Kaamos, etc.

Reactions: CiG