Metal 2018

Little teaser from the new As I Lay Dying, personally I couldn't give a shit that he had tried to have his wife killed by hiring a hitman, people do some fucked up shit on roids. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Been listening to some black metal from this year, and a lot of it has been less than impressive. Some people may like these:

Nachtfrost - Spectral Domains of Dusk

This is from Greece and seems quite cool upon a cursory listen! Definitely brings some riffs!

Cultus Profano - Sacramentum Obscuros

Competently played and conjures a vivid atmosphere but ultimately does too little to distinguish itself.

Obscurum - In the Mysterious Mist

Typical Eastern European black metal sound but the way that lead guitar is recorded is bizarre.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Picking up the CD was an easy decision as I had a store voucher to use up. They're alright. As far as NZ goes, the bands at the milder/traditional end of metal now are infinitely better than their early 2000s equivalents, so they get my support.

I think they show potential, I was watching some of their earlier clips on YT and their music is getting better. The album may not make my top 10 for the year but it's going to be close. Apart from that I am a bit of a sucker for half decent local metal and anything good created over the ditch we'll claim anyway :)

He was not doing money on his recent albums, to be honest. But it's pretty sad to see him call the thing that made him quite popular as a bog he got stuck in.