Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I had no idea what to expect when I popped in this DVD last night. Though there had been a good deal of chatter about this flick, on some of the boards I read, I never followed them.

For starters, given this was a documentary made from a fan's perspective, I was skeptical that this would be some half-assed, fanboy attempt to glorify Metal. However, the guy who made this film is no slouch. Sam Dunn is a 30-year old anthropologist, who wrote his graduate thesis on the plight of Guatemalan refugees. Sam sets out on a global journey to find out why this music has been consistently stereotyped, dismissed and condemned and yet is loved so passionately by its millions of fans. He speaks to Bruce Dickinson, Lemmy, Ronnie James, Geddy Lee and countless others. He also speaks with everyone from academics to a priest in Norway, who lost one of his churches during the 1990s, when Black Metal bands were burning down churches. He also delves into a lot of different subjects; Metal's origins, its fans, the place of woman, the various sub-genres, it's role in society, etc. During his travels he goes to the aforementioned Norway, England, NYC, Canada, and Germany for Wacken. The documentary is quite comprehensive and quite entertaining. I'd highly recommend it to any fan of the genre.

Zod

So, what's he exactly trying to accomplish with this? Is he trying to pursuade people that metal isn't as bad as people try to make it out to be or is he simply trying to educate people that might not have a clue about the genre?

edgeofthorns said:
So, what's he exactly trying to accomplish with this? Is he trying to pursuade people that metal isn't as bad as people try to make it out to be or is he simply trying to educate people that might not have a clue about the genre?
His primary question is, "why has Metal been consistently stereotyped, dismissed and condemned?". However, before he answers this question, he examines the gernre's origins, fanbase, image, etc.

I found his approach impressive. While he's a self-proclaimed, die-hard Metalhead (since the age of 12), his handling of the subject matter is more academic than fan.

Zod

I couldn't highly agree more with Zod, I received this late last week and watched it over the weekend. It was very impressive and fun to watch. Although I never really felt that I got the answer to the question he was asking himself, it was a very well made documentary with lots of good interviews and music. Recommeded highly... the interview with two of the dorks in Mayhem almost sells it by itself. High intelligence runs thick in that band... lol. My only complaint about it is his choice of a few people to interview, there's one guy that looks like he just got off work at the Gap in San Francisco who is just not very believable as a fan of metal.

longshot9 said:
I...the interview with two of the dorks in Mayhem almost sells it by itself. High intelligence runs thick in that band... lol.
Agreed. They were complete morons and totally embarrassed themselves.

longshot9 said:
My only complaint about it is his choice of a few people to interview, there's one guy that looks like he just got off work at the Gap in San Francisco who is just not very believable as a fan of metal.
That didn't really bother me. I think he wanted to get a variety of perspectives, from different fans across the fan spectrum. I think by talking to that young girl, the Gap kid, and the 30something professional (who is still a die-hard Metal fan), he accomplished that. Granted, he could have spent more time talking to fans. However, he could have spent more time on a number of different subjects. I'm guessing he did this, and some of it ended up on the curtting room floor.

Zod

longshot9 said:
My only complaint about it is his choice of a few people to interview, there's one guy that looks like he just got off work at the Gap in San Francisco who is just not very believable as a fan of metal.

Hmm...I am a fan of metal, and I also happen to own a closet full of cloths from Banana Republic, Express, nice cloths, dress cloths, etc. Of course I've also got dozens of black concert shirts from all my favorite metal bands. So perhaps this guy realizes that metal fans have jobs that require proper attire or simply that wearing black t-shirts everyday isnt everyone's cup of tea. Plus, if a major theme of the documentary is to examine the stereotyping involved with metal, then he clearly understands to importance of talking to a wide variety of metal fans, regardless of dress.

Thanks for the review Zod, I look forward to checking this one out.

rockyracoon said:
Hmm...I am a fan of metal, and I also happen to own a closet full of cloths from Banana Republic, Express, nice cloths, dress cloths, etc.
I also own a closet full of very nice clothing. However, I think longshot9 wasn't so much referring to the manner in which he was dressed, as much as the fan's overall presence.

rockyracoon said:
Thanks for the review Zod, I look forward to checking this one out.
My pleasure.

Zod

rockyracoon said:
Hmm...I am a fan of metal, and I also happen to own a closet full of cloths from Banana Republic, Express, nice cloths, dress cloths, etc.

Same. I don't look 'metal' at all. Similar clothes... short hair. Which is fine by me. My music doesn't have to determine my appearance. =)

Cheiron said:
Same. I don't look 'metal' at all. Similar clothes... short hair. Which is fine by me. My music doesn't have to determine my appearance. =)

Me either, but I never really have. I work in an office and sit in front of a computer all day, so that's not "too metal." :) I've enjoyed hard rock/metal since I was in middle school back in the late 80s. I've always given David Coverdale and John Sykes credit for turning me into a metal head, because Whitesnake's 1987 album blew me completely away! Mr. Sykes made me realize that I needed to throw away the 80s rap stuff that my peers were into and listen to the good stuff!

Since then, I went the grunge/alternative route during the 90's while in college, but I was bored to tears with it very early on. I landed an internship at a local plant, so I met FatesFan there. I heard him cranking Dream Theater's Pull Me Under one day out of his office, and I was like, what the hell is that! Apparently, he wasn't working! :p I have to give credit to him though, my Jedi metal master, for turning me on to the best kind of metal, progressive and power baby! :headbang:

I had to move into this genre slowly though, because some of the bands kicked my butt too much at first! :zombie: Once I caught on, I began developing my own taste within this genre of music, which is cool for people to be able to do.

With that said, it's cool to hear how other people got into metal.

General Zod said:
I also own a closet full of very nice clothing. However, I think longshot9 wasn't so much referring to the manner in which he was dressed, as much as the fan's overall presence.

My pleasure.

Zod

Exactly, I was in no way trying to insult anyone based on their attire, hell I wear slacks and button down shirts every day to work. I was just stating my opinion that if it was me making the film I would have focused more on believable metal fans. Now the 35yr old guy was a believable metal fan. This guy i'm referring to looks like he's scared to show he's at all a fan of the genre.

Do you guys mean the ex-marine dude? He posts over on the Old School board sometimes. Very cool dude! He told us about this movie a while ago and I agree it's a pretty good representation of the genre as a whole. I think more fans should have been interviewed as well though.

I posted this back on April 16th, but it fits in this thread as well:

I saw the movie Thursday night. It is AWESOME. Well put together, not "preachy" or "insulting" in any way. Interviews have real substance to them rather than "hey, look who I'm interviewing." The section on Norwegian Black metal was very informative to me because I was unfamiliar with some of the bands and the story behind it.

The basic point of the movie is that metal is as varied and different as it's fans, BUT it is still a unifying power. People who don't understand it probably never will and that's just fine. (paraphrasing the director)

Great footage from Wacken, interviews with Mayhem, Rob Zombie, Bruce Dickinson, Slipknot, Geddy Lee, Slayer, Iommi, Lemmy, Girlschool, and a host of others. The best part about the theater experience was when the entire crowd booed when Tom Morello and Fieldy from Korn came on screen. Classic.

It comes out on DVD May 23rd and I highly recommend it!

I belive the "Gap Guy" that's being referred to is Chuck Klosterman, who writes some 'metal' stuff for Spin and is the author of "Fargo Rock City".

Nice start for Sam Dunn-- looking forward to his Voi Vod/Piggy documentary. The teaser trailer of the initial material for that looks awesome.

I also believe he wants to complete more movies on metal where he can delve a bit more in-- as this 90 minutes seemed just like a great start. The bonus disc is also great-- lots of interviews and the good little Norwegian black metal documentary.