Metal bands that have broadened your musical palette?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Are there bands that introduced you to new styles of music, that you never would have listened to before- or appreciated? I'm thinking of bands like Ulver, Neurosis, Opeth. I know I never would have been such a fan of ambient and electronic music if I hadnt started listening to Ulver. I also never would have been plugged into alot of old prog rock without Opeth- nor would I have ever heard of porcupine tree.

Instead of bashing bands that start heading in non-metallic directions- should we not first give them a chance- and encourage their development?

Listening to Led Zeppelin got me to check out old British folk music like Pentangle and their guitar player (Jimmy Page's idol) Bert Jansch. Can't say it's that great though... :(
Iron Maiden's cover of Cross Eyed Mary eventually got me to check out Jethro Tull though (folk rock) and I love them now so, thanks Maiden! :kickass:

I've taken a liking to medieval/folk music lately because of Ulver, and Satyr's sideproject Wongraven. I also rather enjoy the ambient music Ulver has released.

Well, if I'd never listened to Linkin Park and Slipknot, I wouldn't have moved onto heavier stuff. So I guess thats the only use for those kinda bands :D Hell, even Kerry King admitted that nu-metal bands serve as a bridge between death metal and pop. So yeah. That

Well, in a sort of odd, backwards, inbred way, I would have to thank Classical Music for getting me into some of Children of Bodom's, Rhapsody's et cetera and those bands for getting me into Classical Music.

Here are some. I used to listen to nothing but death metal, black metal and grindcore until I heard the following:

Eye Hate God
dISEMBOWELMENT
Mastodon
Neurosis
Today is the Day
Dolorian

speed I agree !! we gotta start supporting metal rather then talking and bashing bands man ! i play in a band called bloodofchrist from canada ! so i know what its like to play in a band and dont bash other musicians ! why should we ! rather then hate love man !! support all metal !

www.breedofchaos.com check it out !!!! peace :hotjump:

Metallica got me into metal a long time ago.
Slipknot got me into heavy/extreme metal.
Tool got me into progressive music.
Opeth helped me appreciate more mellow and emotional stuff.
Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath helped me appreciate classic metal more.

I consider those bands to be the most important "gateway" bands to me, they basically all widened my horizons quite a bit.

Devourment got me hooked on death metal.

the first time i heard it i thought it was some of the most brutal stuff ever and that's when i went from listening to lots of punk and nu-metal to the heavier stuff.

Katatonia started me liking the whole emmotional side of metal more,

going to bloodstock, introduced a few more power metal bands to me that i hadn't heard before

Metallica (Mama said) & Anthrax (Toast To The Extras) also tried to get me into Country Music but i don't like them to play pop or country. if i put in an Anthrax-cd then i want to hear nothing but Metal, no pop, no country or anything else.