Metal Campers just goto Ragnarok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed on Minneapolis and Atlanta. However, both are two hour flights, that you can probably find for under $200. Aside from the fact that I simply can't attend this festival because of school, I seriously doubt I'd attend regardless. Part of the reason Wacken was appealing, and the reason Metal Camp remains appealing, is because I'm able to explore that part of the world while I'm there. Flying all the way to Germany, in winter, just for a show, isn't something that holds a great deal of appeal for me. As with everything, to each their own.

Zod

I seriously doubt I'd attend regardless.

I KNEW IT!

LOL, just giving you a hard time, of course to each their own.

GZ said:
Flying all the way to Germany, in winter, just for a show, isn't something that holds a great deal of appeal for me.

Three things - first, March 31st over there is hit or miss as far as weather goes - Germany parallels the NE U.S. in terms of weather, so while it *could* be Minneapolis in January-like, it could also be very spring-like.

Second - without HC this winter, the billing for this show is pretty killer (albeit not from your viewpoint), but it would justify me wanting to go for that alone. Add in the RC contingent and far less expensive flight options in March as opposed to July or August and it's even more tempting.

Third - I'm still going to wait until January to make the decision based on what the Metal Camp lineup is at that time. In the interim, I will probably book a room and fest ticket for Ragnarok and eat the cost of the fest ticket should it not work out. Small loss there.

Jason

Three things - first, March 31st over there is hit or miss as far as weather goes - Germany parallels the NE U.S. in terms of weather, so while it *could* be Minneapolis in January-like, it could also be very spring-like.

Second - without HC this winter, the billing for this show is pretty killer (albeit not from your viewpoint), but it would justify me wanting to go for that alone. Add in the RC contingent and far less expensive flight options in March as opposed to July or August and it's even more tempting.

Third - I'm still going to wait until January to make the decision based on what the Metal Camp lineup is at that time. In the interim, I will probably book a room and fest ticket for Ragnarok and eat the cost of the fest ticket should it not work out. Small loss there.

Agreed.

Except are we really discussing what the weather will be like in Germany next March? I thought Greg was kidding. I'm sure nobody gives a shit about the climate either way. :loco:

I suspect this will be like HC. You fly over, check into the hotel, spend two full days inside the fest, and then fly home. Of course, it's all the way in Germany and more expensive than a US fest, and so it needs a little more planning (read: budgeting) but there's no rush...

I want to know how kupshi does it -- all year round, all around the world. What, did he win the MN lottery or something! :loco:

Except are we really discussing what the weather will be like in Germany next March? I thought Greg was kidding. I'm sure nobody gives a shit about the climate either way.
Actually, I was being serious, with respect to the weather. When we did Wacken last year, we took the opportunity to see London and Amsterdam. If we do Metal Camp, we'll probably spend a week in Italy following the festival. Essentially, if I'm going to the expense and trouble of flying overseas, I'd like to see more than the show while I'm there. And to that end, weather is relevant.

Zod

Actually, I was being serious, with respect to the weather. When we did Wacken last year, we took the opportunity to see London and Amsterdam. If we do Metal Camp, we'll probably spend a week in Italy following the festival. Essentially, if I'm going to the expense and trouble of flying overseas, I'd like to see more than the show while I'm there. And to that end, weather is relevant.

Zod

I get you. In theory for me, I'd fly in for Ragnarok and then come straight back home so the only time I'd be outdoors is walking from hotel to venue.

Actually, I don't even think I'd see my folks in London because it would just add another itinerary stop on the journey. Return flights from NY to Frankfurt in March were $400 as of last week.

I get you. In theory for me, I'd fly in for Ragnarok and then come straight back home so the only time I'd be outdoors is walking from hotel to venue.

Yep, I was looking at it this way as well. For a great lineup, I'd be willing to spend extra $$ on airfare and time flying. Other than that, it wouldn't be much different that just going to Heathen Crusade or whatever. I wouldn't do the overseas thing without a group, but looks like we'll have a nice one.

JK said:
Return flights from NY to Frankfurt in March were $400 as of last week.

Wow - I'm at $700-$750 right now (still not too bad though).

I want to go but I don't know if I can get the time off or justify spending so much money on another overseas metal extravaganza.

But you know what? They're some awesome times when I do make it out to them, so why not?

Here's a pic of the venue:

m_473.gif

Awesome - looks like a church or something. :kickass:

Status
Not open for further replies.