Metal Church

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
I was telling Swine that I picked up the METAL CHURCH s/t cd in the used bin for $1.99!!!!!!! Best bunch of change I ever dropped. I really like this album, and for the price, it could'a been a piece of crap and I wouldn't have minded. Great old school metal.

Heres a band That I truely love :) I personally like their albums With Mike Howe best but thats just me, For a 1.99 ya cant beat that value If you ever see their "Hanging in the Balance" album GET IT its the Best of the Howe years and Nobody even knows it :p I could never say enough about this band I fukin love em

Funnily enough I dug out my copy of the s/t the other day, I'd forgotten how good it actually is :) definately deserves more play time. I also have the second album (just forgot the name >_<) and really should listen to that too...

np: Burzum - Jesus' Tod

Hawk said:
I only like the first two. But they are classics in my book! :headbang:
You said it all right there bro. You can't beat the "Classic" MC line-up, their first two are the shit! Though, I must admit I will listen to any of their other material after David Wayne left the band. Howe, wasn't as good in my opinion, they should have changed the name of the band. What the hell do I know? It seems a lot of people actually prefer the Howe era stuff to the Wayne era....

Reactions: Hawk
sixxswine said:
You said it all right there bro. You can't beat the "Classic" MC line-up, their first two are the shit! Though, I must admit I will listen to any of their other material after David Wayne left the band. Howe, wasn't as good in my opinion, they should have changed the name of the band. What the hell do I know? It seems a lot of people actually prefer the Howe era stuff to the Wayne era....
I saw them live here in the Netherlands just after they released "The Dark". Still one of my all time favorite gig's. I remember going absolutly bezerk!!

sixxswine said:
..Howe, wasn't as good in my opinion, they should have changed the name of the band. What the hell do I know? It seems a lot of people actually prefer the Howe era stuff to the Wayne era....
*heh heh* IMO, Howe likes to waiver off-key at times (I'm starting to notice I think this about way too many singers..), but the songwriting on all their discs is pretty top notch. I, too, consider the debut to be a cornerstone in US metal and a total classic, but they need to re-record the guitar solos. Holy *CRAP* but those were horrid. Listen to "Highway Star" for one of the most blatant examples of (melodically) "freeform" soloing.

Essential must-hear tunes from PauerKorde's PoV:
METAL CHURCH: "Beyond the Black," "Metal Church," "(My Favorite) Nightmare," "Mercilous Onslaught" (also wins an award for song titling)
THE DARK: "Ton of Bricks"
BLESSING IN DISGUISE: "Fake Healer," "Anthem to the Estranged," "Badlands"
HUMAN FACTOR: "Date with Poverty," "Final Word," "Human Factor"
HANGING IN THE BALANCE: "No Friend of Mine," "Down to the River," "Hypnotized," "Losers in the Game"

All great, great tunes..

I really dig the first two Metal Church albums too! I bought Blessing in Disguise and didn't like if much for some reason. but I heard some songs off Hanging in the Balance and thought they were really good.

Speaking of discovering great albums in the used bin for pocket change, I found TT Quick's "Metal of Honor" in the used bin for .50 freaking cents recently! I knew it would be good, but it really blew me away. Killer album, and for fifty cents, incredible!

I had no intention to start a Wayne/Howe debate. Even though I really like Wayne I like the first two albums more for their distinctive style. Both of them are more fast paced oriented metal than the later albums. :)

Their debut is pretty solid. My fave is "Blessing In Disguise" followed by "The Human Factor".

Great band and I missed it a lot.

Anyone else agrees with me that the Dave Wayne comeback album "Masterplan was dissapointing? I saw them on that tour on two gigs. One in the Netherlands and one at the Wacken festival. They were crap IMHO especially Wayne. He acted like a real dumbass. Just wondering. Maybe it's just me [I Think NOT]

Hawk said:
Anyone else agrees with me that the Dave Wayne comeback album "Masterplan was dissapointing? I saw them on that tour on two gigs. One in the Netherlands and one at the Wacken festival. They were crap IMHO especially Wayne. He acted like a real dumbass. Just wondering. Maybe it's just me [I Think NOT]
You mean "Masterpeace"? Actually I like the album, I considered that Wayne finally learned to sing (I'm not going into the singers discussion either;) ), but again the album wasn't as "cherishable" as the classic ones.

I heard that Vanderhoof and Arrington are going to record a new album, with a revamped line-up. So is not for me I guess:confused:

I sorta like Masterpeace, but I had no idea that they toured on it, so it would have been quite recent (touring as of three years ago?). My favorite track is They Signed in Blood" -- excellent bang-yer-head riffing, but for the most part, the album can't touch the older stuff.

Get a hold of that Live CD put out a few years ago, recorded during the '80s.

And, gotta wonder who might be pulling vocals on the next MC album. I'm sure to buy it whenever with whoever...

Insania said:
I sorta like Masterpeace, but I had no idea that they toured on it, so it would have been quite recent (touring as of three years ago?). My favorite track is They Signed in Blood" -- excellent bang-yer-head riffing, but for the most part, the album can't touch the older stuff.

Get a hold of that Live CD put out a few years ago, recorded during the '80s.

And, gotta wonder who might be pulling vocals on the next MC album. I'm sure to buy it whenever with whoever...

I personally loved Masterpeice lol The song "Into Dust" is my favorite I think just because I listened to it like 3 times and learned how to play it, I hope they bring back Mike Howe :)