Metal covers of pop and other songs

ravage2020

Feb 6, 2005
aston, pa
profile.myspace.com
I know of and have stuff like Sonata Arctica s Fade to Black and Wind Beneath my Wings, and also have Vision Divines cover of take on me,, does anyone else know of cool covers like that... ?

Thanks in advance, and if this topic has already been covered, sorry but I couldnt figure out how to search topics :)....

ravage2020 said:
I know of and have stuff like Sonata Arctica s Fade to Black and Wind Beneath my Wings, and also have Vision Divines cover of take on me,, does anyone else know of cool covers like that... ?

Thanks in advance, and if this topic has already been covered, sorry but I couldnt figure out how to search topics :)....

I often enjoy metal-ized covers of pop songs, though I generally am not that big on metal bands recording covers of other metal songs (I'm only referring to studio recording of cover songs... it can be very cool for a metal band to throw in a cover during a live set).

Pretty Maids doing Sammy Hagar's "One Way to Rock"
DC Cooper doing Uriah Heeps "Easy Living"
Scanner doing Queen's "Innuendo"
Rob Rock doing Abba's "Eagle"

Just to name a few on my favorites

I like the Vanden Plas covers of Kansas' Point Of No Return, and Dokken's Kiss Of Death.

One of my favorite covers the past couple months is from Twilight Guardians, who took on Madonna's La Isla Bonita.

Britt

Nevermore's cover of 'the sound of silence' was horrible, and ruins the song. At least if you are going to cover, you should keep the structure of the song there.

Blind Guardian's cover of Iron Butterfly... its.. okay, but a lot of people think that covering the classics just shouldn't be done.

DarkTide said:
I like the Vanden Plas covers of Kansas' Point Of No Return, and Dokken's Kiss Of Death.

One of my favorite covers the past couple months is from Twilight Guardians, who took on Madonna's La Isla Bonita.

Britt

Another favorite of mine Vanden Plas covered was Kayliegh by Marillion.

There's a great cover of Madonna's son Frozen done by Talisman.

DarkTide said:
I like the Vanden Plas covers of Kansas' Point Of No Return

I like the Vanden Plas track, but I've actually never heard the original.

DarkTide said:
and Dokken's Kiss Of Death.

This is very cool too.

DarkTide said:

That sounds like it could be very interesting. Actually, I've always thought Madonna's "Like A Prayer" could be turned into a VERY heavy song. I have the arragements all in my head... unfortunately I have no idea how to write or play music, hehe. And of course, the lyrics are not exactly suitable for a metal song, but then, I suppose that particular incongruence is part of the fun of metal covers of pop songs.

The kings of covers have got to At Vance:
Eye Of The Tiger- Survivor
Shout- Tears For Fears
Logical Song- Super Tramp
Desperado- The Eagles
Money, money, money- Abba
S.O.S.- Abba

Also Helloween's Metal Jukebox has a bunch of covers.

Firewind covers the Scorpions "Pictured Life." One of the very few metal to metal covers I like better than the original.

I hear CoB do a wicked Britney Spears cover. :p

I like metal versions of non-metal songs when the band tries to adapt the songs somewhat rather than just play them with louder guitars. Case in point was Avalon's cover of "Kyrie." It was a respectable cover, but it was played too safe.

Angra's cover of Zep's "Kashmir" kicks my ass...Masterplan's cover of "Black Dog" is killer too.
Jorn's cover of Thin Lizzy's "Are You Ready" is good.
Mnemic's cover of Duran Duran's "Wild Boys" is wicked.
Angel Dust covers Pink Floyd's "Run Like Hell" is decent.

So far I've seen Moonlight, Entwine and Lacuna Coil cover Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode and going back a bit Sanctuary's cover of White Rabbit and Leatherwolf doing Bad Moon Rising were pretty cool.

Cheiron said:
Nevermore's cover of 'the sound of silence' was horrible, and ruins the song. At least if you are going to cover, you should keep the structure of the song there.
Different strokes for different folks ... I think the Nevermore cover is excellent.

Britt