What is your opinion of metal covers of pop songs?

Tanya666

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2011
South africa, in a small shitty town
Well the title says it all. What do you think of metal bands covering songs like Oops i did it again.

Sofar I heard alot of these covers by Children of bodom and Arthemis. Graveworm also did an execelnt cover of Losing my religion. My firts reaction when i hear Oops I did it again was something like 'wtf, this is gay' , but I have to admit I love these covers now

It depends. I'm really not that fond of those, but if done with style, anything can be good.

In general I don't care for them. Graveworm seems to do one for each album, don't they? I know these covers are usually done for fun, but I often think the original songs are a lot better. Part of the reason being that extreme metal doesn't really go hand in hand with pop songs, so it sounds so forced and out of place.

I'm not super familiar with these types of songs, but Dying Fetus did a super poppy sounding song on their EP Grotesque Impalement which I think is super funny.

I can't think of any good ones offhand, so in general they probably suck.

EDIT: I take that back, as Realm and Coroner both have kickass Beatles covers. Although I suppose the original version of the latter isn't really a pop song, so...

Dont bother with this shit 99% of the time. for some reason though, this thread made me think of this:

which is hilarious

Last edited by a moderator:
They're almost always done for shock/comedic value, and as such are as worthless as a Municipal Waste album. When they're done seriously they can be worthwhile, I suppose, although not many examples are coming to mind. The In Flames cover of Everything Counts was done seriously and fit into the context, I guess, but it was also fucking awful. As far as comedic value, non-metal covers of metal songs are consistently much funnier. As far as musical value, it's all pretty pointless.

how Pop and how Metal? sometimes it doesn't seem like there's a big difference.

like, Elvenking's version of "Heaven is a Place on Earth", that may as well be Pop music, I mean, that shit could be on Eurovision easily.

I hate it. Metal covers of rock songs can be decent but the pop songs done for shock value and laughs stopped being funny when I turned 12.

Yes, and most metal bands who do covers of pop songs seem to think, that shock value or "doing metal cover of a pop song is automatically funny" alone is enough to justify doing them.