Metal DI's

Nice playing man it sounds pretty tight and sounds good otherwise as well. Just thought you needed something since you went through all the trouble to post stems too.

Nah... well, maybe some tips on getting the guitar tone to be more 3d instead of blurry. I think I just don't know how to mix things properly. All in all I was just curious to see what people would come up with mix/tone-wise for this.

I like both! The original has a fuck load more mid-range and MetalMiller's is very scooped but I like it too, I have no problem with scooped tones.

Outloaf: your's may just need a bit of EQ. 200, 400 and 600 are a few areas that you can make small cuts if it's a bit "blurry". I think it's a decent tone still.

I like both! The original has a fuck load more mid-range and MetalMiller's is very scooped but I like it too, I have no problem with scooped tones.

Outloaf: your's may just need a bit of EQ. 200, 400 and 600 are a few areas that you can make small cuts if it's a bit "blurry". I think it's a decent tone still.

Thanks for the advice! I've been trying to get that Adam D type of tone.. I'm so far off the mark though hahaha! I will definitely try some of that EQ.

Sweet, thanks for jumping in! That sounds really natural compared to mine that sounds really clinical.

Think the trick is to use some room ir. I used altiverb on the group channel but any free stuff should do it. It´s just mixed 5-10% so you only noticed a difference when muting it. I added limiting (L1) and saturation too (VintageWarmer).

Thanks for the advice! I've been trying to get that Adam D type of tone.. I'm so far off the mark though hahaha! I will definitely try some of that EQ.

If I remember rightly, Adam D mic's cabinets with a single 57, 6 inches away from the grille. At 6 inches you get a lot less proximity effect so crank the bass on your amp up. He does really well to get heaps of mid-range in his tones without honkiness too. You definitely get a more balanced sound micing from that far away, but you don't get that deep weightiness of the cab... all the way down at 70-80hz.

His tones definitely aren't the kind I aspire to but I appreciate them. They're heavy as fuck. He's a big fan of quad tracking too. Careful the mids don't get too mushy with 4 guitars!

If I remember rightly, Adam D mic's cabinets with a single 57, 6 inches away from the grille. At 6 inches you get a lot less proximity effect so crank the bass on your amp up. He does really well to get heaps of mid-range in his tones without honkiness too. You definitely get a more balanced sound micing from that far away, but you don't get that deep weightiness of the cab... all the way down at 70-80hz.

His tones definitely aren't the kind I aspire to but I appreciate them. They're heavy as fuck. He's a big fan of quad tracking too. Careful the mids don't get too mushy with 4 guitars!

I had read that before too.. But I've done a few tours with Killswitch and Adam told me that he uses a combo of a condenser (can't remember which AT one) and a 57 at 6 inches. Normally I wouldn't be chasing his tones either, it just seems like such a hard thing to nail.

Huuhh, i like your riffing:)

me too. and that's why i like your first version better.
i will never understand why somebody sacrifice the perception of what's actually played to an assumed "better" sounding amp, or even worse for the sound of "player X".

just my 26 cents...

Drum-wise i was going a litlle crazy. I used Metal Machine but heavily layered especially for snare. I added 2-3 drummachine samples including the legendery d4 sample. OH´s and kick were almost untouched!
Shit, maybe it´s the first time me liking my own guitar sound (ampsim stuff). I made/used a custom impulse wich based on the chain i´ve posted at the end of this thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/595561-ultimate-modelling-challenge-6.html

It just worked fine with your DI´s. Little tweeking must be done... I´ll post some screens and links later.

Drum-wise i was going a litlle crazy. I used Metal Machine but heavily layered especially for snare. I added 2-3 drummachine samples including the legendery d4 sample. OH´s and kick were almost untouched!
Shit, maybe it´s the first time me liking my own guitar sound (ampsim stuff). I made/used a custom impulse wich based on the chain i´ve posted at the end of this thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap/595561-ultimate-modelling-challenge-6.html

It just worked fine with your DI´s. Little tweeking must be done... I´ll post some screens and links later.

Very cool. Yeah, metalmachine is awesome for sure nad ill check out that IR that you have on there. Where did you get the D4 samples btw?

Hey, Heres my mix:

Was supposed to be a quick one but took longer than expected.

Cheers for the DIs

Last edited by a moderator: