Metal Favorites

This how he rated a song from it in the mixtape game:

Scald – Night Sky – 8/10

Best song on an underground classic. I have to admit that I never really tried reading the lyrics to this album because I liked the vocals on their own merit enough to not want to potentially taint that, but I didn’t think they would fit a nature theme this well, and it’s definitely enhanced my appreciation of this song.

So it seems he quite likes it. I'd like the see his opinion on the whole record rather than just one song too.

Last edited:
EP: first half of WITH FEAR I KISS THE BURNING DARKNESS.

So much this. I always turn it off after "Primal Breath" since there's nothing to look forward to after it. Maybe if it was the last song I'd keep listening. You can also get rid of the first track from this "EP", clearly the best of the death/thrash songs on here but not up to the following 4 tracks. I can't think of any other album where the quality varies so massively.

Ehh they're pretty much the first band everyone recommends if someone asks for music like Ozzy era Sabbath

That's fine and all, but they're not a total clone of Black Sabbath by any means. There are far more similar bands.

I've always heard alot of Awaken the Guardian in early Solitude Aeturnus.

I think that I've read an interview where they named Fates Warning as an inspiration on their early sound.

Scald is in-crowd good-shit. I think the album is still growing on me a little bit, I always loved the sound but thought it was a bit overlong initially.

Regarding With Fear..., The Architects is as good as anything before Primal Breath imo (but worse than that song itself).

I've been trying to listen to the songs after "Primal Breath" lately but I just can't get into them, most of them seem quite disjointed. I'll give that song another listen later on.

obviously i like 'the architects' 'cause of the slayer influence, but it isn't even in the same league as 2 through 4 to me. those are three of my favourite songs ever though (i agree 'primal breath' is the best of the lot)

Too many favorites...

Album: Sabbat - Dreamweaver
EP: Mercyful Fate - S/T
Genre: Thrash Metal
Band: Judas Priest
Death Metal Album: Brutality - Screams of Anguish
Black Metal Album: Gris - Il était une forêt...
Thrash Album: Sabbat - Dreamweaver
Doom Album: Trouble - S/T
Heavy Metal Album: Metal Church - S/T
NWOBHM Album: Iron Maiden - S/T
Power Metal Album: Helloween - Walls of Jericho (if applicable, I don't listen to power metal)
Least Favorite Genre: Grindcore
Beer: Deschutes - Fresh Squeezed IPA

Reactions: Baroque and CiG
Album: Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
EP: Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Genre: Traditional Doom
Band: Saint Vitus
Death Metal Album: Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Black Metal Album: Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Thrash Album: Slayer - Show No Mercy
Grind Album: Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard
Sludge Album: none
Doom Album: Pagan Altar - Judgement of the Dead
Heavy Metal Album: Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
NWOBHM Album: Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Power Metal Album: Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Core Album: none
Least Favorite Band: Pantera
Least Favorite Genre: Thrash
Beer:

Album: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
EP: Savatage - The Dungeons Are Calling
Genre: Trad metal
Band: Fates Warning
Death Metal Album: Atrocity - Todessehnsucht
Black Metal Album: Mayhem - DMDS
Thrash Album: Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Grind Album: A TOOH album if they count
Sludge Album: Fudge Tunnel - Hate Songs in E Minor
Doom Album: Candlemass - Epicus
Heavy Metal Album: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
NWOBHM Album: Iron Maiden - Killers
Power Metal Album: Adramelch - Irae Melanox
Core Album: Ripped - Through My Eyes
Least Favorite Band: Nokturnal Mortum I guess
Least Favorite Genre: Prefixed black metal
Beer: I don't really drink much anymore and I'm a pleb, I dunno, Sam Adams Boston Lager or Sierra Nevada Stout or something

Reactions: CiG