Metal labels are not doing their job

Metallica did it on their own terms back in the day (the 80's) .. no airplay, video, etc.. can't say that about them now or throughout the 90's... i agree the metal world is saturated with too many bands getting signed most of it crap... as for the bands themselves im sure they got into it at first solely for the music but eventually they realized it became a job/career and that they have bills to pay (mortgages, car payments, supporting their familie's etc.) ... so its not a matter they want to sell out.. its just a matter that they want to sell enough albums to make a decent living... and any band that doesnt admit to that is lying big time.. because everyone wants to make a living doing what they love...

Not me, I make a living driving a tractor and mowing grass. I don't want to have to comprimise musically so people will buy the stuff so I get money.

Zivilyn said:
The market is not good for metal.

14-24 years makes a BIG DIFFERENCE. Maybe you don't watch the music channels too much, or just pop in a CD when you're in your car, but try listening to some popular radio stations next time you get a chance if you don't believe that. The music scene has never been worse than what it is today. I have no hope that metal will reach a wider audience, I'm too realistic I guess.

And I think everyone else might not realize how flooded the metal genre really is. There seems to be more metal bands than pop bands. Most talented metal bands that want to break through in the future will have a very tough time becoming known because most potential fans won't even know about their existence. It's a tough career. But I guess that's why this site is here, isn't it? :p
That's exactly my point, metal labels are flooding the market with shitty bands instead of spending their money promoting the good ones. The market is good for metal, it has always been, because metal is not comercial music, it never was and never will be, the problem we have right now is the labels.

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Metallica did it on their own terms back in the day (the 80's) .. no airplay, video, etc.. can't say that about them now or throughout the 90's... i agree the metal world is saturated with too many bands getting signed most of it crap... as for the bands themselves im sure they got into it at first solely for the music but eventually they realized it became a job/career and that they have bills to pay (mortgages, car payments, supporting their familie's etc.) ... so its not a matter they want to sell out.. its just a matter that they want to sell enough albums to make a decent living... and any band that doesnt admit to that is lying big time.. because everyone wants to make a living doing what they love...
Yeah, you raise a good point. Everyone has to make some comprimises to make a living including artists.

so its not a matter they want to sell out.. its just a matter that they want to sell enough albums to make a decent living...
"Decent living" doesnt count as an argument against Metallica. They're filthy fucken rich. There's no excuse for that.

Esteban, I noticed you mentioned Agalloch in the thread starter and found that quite different than the other bands you mentioned.

Agalloch is on The End Records, which is a superb company but also has its own online store. With prices as good as what The End has and for no cost of shipping and handling people go there quite frequently and probably browse through the site. Coming across the band page probably made many people curious and they checked them out. It is a proximity thing that really helped Agalloch along.

You have some misconception that bands make millions of dollars lol.. if they just make $50,000 to $100,000 i would call that decent... as for getting a "real Job".. since you dont want to make a living out of your music then go work at McDonald's if that is what you prefer... to say you rather work at McDonald's instead of making music and travelling the world playing your music to fan's (whether 1 fan or 1,000,000 fans) is stupid... but hey to each his or her own... and since you consider signing onto a lable be it a Indie Label or Major label being a sell out.. why do you buy CD's of your favorite bands, etc.. even if you dont buy CD's anymore and just DL the songs you like.. at one point you must of bought CD's so therefore you support your favorite bands... which makes you a hyprocrite... anyways just cause your signed to a label even as small as The End records or any other indie label does not make you a sell out.. lots of bands never changed there music to make millions.. Slayer among others comes to mind who still play the same as they did back in 1983 .... :loco: ... As for Metallica.. i never said they werent sell outs.. they are the classic example of such.. they compromised their music for the sake of money... once they got Jason and got rid of Flemming as their producer after And Justice for All.. i stopped buying there albums... i knew the writing on the wall once Bob Rock became their new producer... :yuk:

You have some misconception that bands make millions of dollars lol.. if they just make $50,000 to $100,000 i would call that decent... as for getting a "real Job".. since you dont want to make a living out of your music then go work at McDonald's if that is what you prefer... to say you rather work at McDonald's instead of making music and travelling the world playing your music to fan's (whether 1 fan or 1,000,000 fans) is stupid... but hey to each his or her own... and since you consider signing onto a lable be it a Indie Label or Major label being a sell out.. why do you buy CD's of your favorite bands, etc.. even if you dont buy CD's anymore and just DL the songs you like.. at one point you must of bought CD's so therefore you support your favorite bands... which makes you a hyprocrite... anyways just cause your signed to a label even as small as The End records or any other indie label does not make you a sell out.. lots of bands never changed there music to make millions.. Slayer among others comes to mind who still play the same as they did back in 1983 .... :loco: ... As for Metallica.. i never said they werent sell outs.. they are the classic example of such.. they compromised their music for the sake of money... once they got Jason and got rid of Flemming as their producer after And Justice for All.. is topped buying there albums... i knew the writing on the wall once Bob Rock became their new producer... :yuk:

Jesus fucking Christ you are fucking retarded. Get out. Now.

Abou said:
Esteban, I noticed you mentioned Agalloch in the thread starter and found that quite different than the other bands you mentioned.

Agalloch is on The End Records, which is a superb company but also has its own online store. With prices as good as what The End has and for no cost of shipping and handling people go there quite frequently and probably browse through the site. Coming across the band page probably made many people curious and they checked them out. It is a proximity thing that really helped Agalloch along.
Sure The End has nice prices and everything, but I don't see Agalloch touring a lot. Album - small tour - Album - small tour... can't get enough people to hear your music if the label doesn't want take risks and help the band with quality touring.

You have some misconception that bands make millions of dollars lol.. if they just make $50,000 to $100,000 i would call that decent... as for getting a "real Job".. since you dont want to make a living out of your music then go work at McDonald's if that is what you prefer... to say you rather work at McDonald's instead of making music and travelling the world playing your music to fan's (whether 1 fan or 1,000,000 fans) is stupid... but hey to each his or her own... and since you consider signing onto a lable be it a Indie Label or Major label being a sell out.. why do you buy CD's of your favorite bands, etc.. even if you dont buy CD's anymore and just DL the songs you like.. at one point you must of bought CD's so therefore you support your favorite bands... which makes you a hyprocrite... anyways just cause your signed to a label even as small as The End records or any other indie label does not make you a sell out.. lots of bands never changed there music to make millions.. Slayer among others comes to mind who still play the same as they did back in 1983 .... :loco: ... As for Metallica.. i never said they werent sell outs.. they are the classic example of such.. they compromised their music for the sake of money... once they got Jason and got rid of Flemming as their producer after And Justice for All.. i stopped buying there albums... i knew the writing on the wall once Bob Rock became their new producer... :yuk:

oh god my...shut up.

Retardus Maximus.

Esteban said:
Sure The End has nice prices and everything, but I don't see Agalloch touring a lot. Album - small tour - Album - small tour... can't get enough people to hear your music if the label doesn't want take risks and help the band with quality touring.
It isn't an issue with The End. Remember that The Gathering had a rather large tour across the states within the past year and they are on the same label. If Agalloch does not tour it is of their own volition seeing as they are as popular as they are.

w
Abou said:
It isn't an issue with The End. Remember that The Gathering had a rather large tour across the states within the past year and they are on the same label. If Agalloch does not tour it is of their own volition seeing as they are as popular as they are.
I don't know much about how it works, but IMO putting together a good tour is the label's job

::::::: yawn ::::::::::: .... i guess you never thought your supporting "selling out" by buying your fave band's CD's since you all or most consider being on any label (indie or major) selling out... hostilities towards my posts seems to touch a nerve & make you think about a different opinion... as for Metallica... whether you hate me or not.. im pretty much right.. once Cliff died and they got rid of Flemming and replaced both with Jason and Bob Rock they sold out.. Bob Rock after all was producer of The Cult, Motley Crue etc... anyways if you can't have a "intelligent" discussion/response.. then continue with your hostile responses.. seems like the only thing some of you can come up with... though i prefer "intelligent" convo instead... <shrugs> ... :wave:

::::::: yawn ::::::::::: .... i guess you never thought your supporting "selling out" by buying your fave band's CD's since you all or most consider being on any label (indie or major) selling out... hostilities towards my posts seems to touch a nerve & make you think about a different opinion... as for Metallica... whether you hate me or not.. im pretty much right.. once Cliff died and they got rid of Flemming and replaced both with Jason and Bob Rock they sold out.. Bob Rock after all was producer of The Cult, Motley Crue etc... anyways if you can't have a "intelligent" discussion/response.. then continue with your hostile responses.. seems like the only thing some of you can come up with... though i prefer "intelligent" convo instead... <shrugs> ... :wave:

stopposting.gif

sorry Pol.. it isnt going to happen... so read my previous post and see if you can respond intelligently to the Metallica thing if you can... prove me wrong and show me your so called "intelligence" ... :Smug:

Abou said:

You think The Gathering playing in four American cities constitutes "a rather large tour"? Hmmm. Interesting.

Agalloch is a "Popular" band? Yeah.

What is your definition of "popular"? Selling more than 500 CD's a year?