metal being promoted more by record labels

Opeth is bigger and more likely to gain mainstream acceptance, though...

That's only because they have been promoted more than Katatonia has. It would be the completely opposite situation if Katatonia was promoted more and toured more. I guarantee Katatonia would be bigger if they got the same amount of funding/press/push as Opeth

Opeth gets more journalistic attention from guitar/music magazines. Guitar magazines definitely can help bands. That's one of the reasons why Dragonforce broke out.

Indeed. Actually, Dragonforce got a ridiculous amount of press from guitar magazines, considering how tasteless their shredding is, and it contributed hugely to their breakout.
@Ozzman: Obviously, but it doesn't make a difference. Opeth is bigger. Opeth could easily gain mainstream acceptance without compromising their music. Not sure Katatonia could do the same.

Katatonia can be digested alot easier than Opeth especially for someone who isn't into metal all that much. I've played The Great Cold Distance for some friends that all they like is Tool, Deftones etc and they fell in love with it but still can't get into Opeth. I guess if Katatonia got the right exposure they could really blow up.

Katatonia can be digested alot easier than Opeth especially for someone who isn't into metal all that much. I've played The Great Cold Distance for some friends that all they like is Tool, Deftones etc and they fell in love with it but still can't get into Opeth. I guess if Katatonia got the right exposure they could really blow up.

This.

That's also much newer Katatonia. I'm not terribly familiar with all of their music, but I do know (from what I've heard) that newer Katatonia is much more mainstream sounding than their older stuff. This might be a sign of them already beginning to compromise their sound. I like the stuff I've heard from The Great Cold Distance, but I think it's definitely a shift towards "poppier" music.

I'm not saying that they're not a good band, and The Great Cold Distance is a good album; but it's also less drony, catchier, and "easier" to listen to I think.

There is no doubt that the re-rise of rock has attributed to metal being popular again.

The area I live in is trendy as fuck, with a total lack of individuality, and in recent times I've seen fashionista shops selling Sabbath and Maiden shirts, with their drone customers walking around with them on trying to be all fucking rock'n'roll.

I also noticed at Maiden the other weekend, there were plenty of people there who have no clue at all about metal, let alone Maiden. They were just there to be cool, and would go back home and listen to fucking Powderfinger and Nickelback or some fucking shit mainstream crap.

There is a flipside to this coin though - it brings more into the bands' pocket, which in turn enables them to tour further than usual, we benefits us, the real fans.

** shrugs **

I used to own viva emptiness and my pop loving friend thought it was alright, but he couldn't stomach opeth at all. I think newer katatonia would definitely be bigger if they had the same push as opeth.

Am I alone ins being worried about metal blowing up again?

If Opeth could break through into the mainstream, it'd just mean we'd end up with a bunch of posers.

"I FUCKING LOVE BRUTAL DEATH METAL! LIKE OPETH! OMG IT'S LIKE MA HEAD IS EXPLODING"

Listen to anything else?

"NO! OPEHT IS GODX LIYK!!!!121!"

Sure, it could convert some good 'uns who would stay on and support the cause, but alot would just be a bunch of faggots.

Frankly, I don't care about the posers. Just push them aside on your way to the moshpit.
Meanwhile, it will bring in more real fans, which is always good.
But the best part is of course, more money for the bands. Which allows them to improve the production (not necessarily make it cleaner), spend more time in the studio, afford better instruments and amps, hire better producers, and bring in more and better extra musicians for shit like string sections. Listen to Rhapsody's Symphony of Enchanted Lands (all midi) and Symphony of Enchanted Lands Part 2 (when they had money), which is done with a full orchestra. Way, way better. Imagine what they could do with a kickass budget.

The downside would be that there might be more pressure on a band to release stuff, and to produce singles and stuff. But any band worth listening to wouldn't cave to that.

I found Death's Scream Bloody Gore album at Hot Topic a couple months ago. Though, I'm sure it's only there because it has the name Death on it.