metal being promoted more by record labels

InfantChaos

Enemy Of Satan
Nov 6, 2007
your local deli!
i have heard around somewhere that metal will start to be promoted more by major record labels, because pop music dies after about a month, and metal fans will in general keep buying particular albums 20 years after its release. i just want to know if this is true, or i just heard bullshit.

Hell if I know. I've always been way out of the loop.

But when I found out that heavy-riffing pop-punk bands with death vocals were some of the hottest acts in the commercial sense, bands like Atreyu and such, I figured metal with death vocals would finally break its way into the mainstream sometime soon. Like, the next Metallica would be a heavier band, maybe melodic death or deathcore. But maybe that's already happened with one of those Killswitch Engage ilk bands, I have no clue how popular they are.

But what you heard would make a lot of sense considering how much the record industry is hurting for sales and how many of the people who would normally buy the flavor of the month are now just getting it for free online, whereas a lot of us dudes will download a new album when it leaks but still always go out and buy it when it comes out. Of course you've got to wonder though, even if we're a more dependable fan base, would it still be more profitable than the pop r&b singers and such? When you think about the massive sales that those artist get, I wonder whether any level of dependibility from hardcore underground fans could ever be viable compared to the alternative.

It's a trend I've observed for quite a while, even in black metal. It's only a matter of time before Dimmu Borgir gets onto a mainstream label, and we already saw Satyricon's Volcano released by Virgin Records.

I'm thinking your friend is bsing you. I haven't seen or heard anything stating that the big labels were signing up metal bands in numbers.

Another thing, most metal bands on big labels during metals prime lost the labels a lot of money. Why would they risk money on metal now when metal is much less popular than before.

It's probably a case of perception.

The pop industry is seen as a machine with money always flooding in, whilst most metal fans realise that their bands aren't getting that kind of revenue, so while they may download, they will also go out and buy to keep them supported.

And this whole Death vocals thing is bollocks. Atreyu - Barely. Killswitch Engage is a bunch of metalcore crap. Real death metal/black metal vocal-led bands will never break into the mainstream simply because they're too abrasive and too controversial.

It's probably a case of perception.

The pop industry is seen as a machine with money always flooding in, whilst most metal fans realise that their bands aren't getting that kind of revenue, so while they may download, they will also go out and buy to keep them supported.

And this whole Death vocals thing is bollocks. Atreyu - Barely. Killswitch Engage is a bunch of metalcore crap. Real death metal/black metal vocal-led bands will never break into the mainstream simply because they're too abrasive and too controversial.

Well said. Perhaps there will be a market for power metal music. After all, a lot of it is nearly pop but with faster/heavier guitars. Bands like Kamelot, Nightwish, and most of all Dragonforce (while still far from mainstream), are slowly beginning to make their way into more magazines, video games, and soundtracks.

It's a trend I've observed for quite a while, even in black metal. It's only a matter of time before Dimmu Borgir gets onto a mainstream label, and we already saw Satyricon's Volcano released by Virgin Records.
And Immortal shirts being sold at Hot Topic, along with Dark Funeral's. I don't doubt seeing Satyricon shirts being sold at Hot Topic in the next year or so, they're just behind Dimmu and Dark Funeral in terms of being mainstream black metal.

I think metalcore is the closest you're gonna get mainstream metal. I doubt deathcore will even see much widespread commercial success.

I think metalcore is the closest you're gonna get mainstream metal. I doubt deathcore will even see much widespread commercial success.

Yea, I doubt that people who do embrace deathcore are around the high school age and barely any are downloading instead of buying the records. This will cause an end to the genre.

And no, the labels will not be picking up metal bands. If they dont pick up artists like Panda Bear who is simple pop minded, mellow musician because he is too different than how could they pick up metal bands that are much more polarizing?

i have heard around somewhere that metal will start to be promoted more by major record labels, because pop music dies after about a month, and metal fans will in general keep buying particular albums 20 years after its release. i just want to know if this is true, or i just heard bullshit.

Well, it's rather that major players are picking up distribution contracts with (more extreme end of) metal labels, at least in Europe. EMI owns major part of Century Media and in several countries, local heavy/death metal labels have been picked up by EMI for distribution. Distribution is pretty safe option for them, they don't need to invest a dime for the production of a band. But as distributors, they are the first one to know if some band is going to break into bigger markets sales wise.

About that 20 years thing, well, Roadrunner, Nuclear Blast, Earache etc reissue most of their catalogs with DVD/bonus tracks/etc extras and that happens already after six months of original release date, not after 20 years. And it sells, so pretty safe option. Just wondering that in what format Candlelight will reissue the first three Opeth albums. There has been digipacks, slipcase, tin cases already, what's left?

As far as the vocals go, I doubt anyone outside of metal could tell the difference.

And labels don't care how brutal and abrasive a band is, if the numbers add up they'll sign them.
It's true that metal has a more dedicated fanbase, and metal albums are likely to have far more longevity.
Dragonforce has been making waves in the (relative) mainstream lately. For better or worse, bands like Trivium and Atreyu that are frequently associated with metal are also gaining popularity. Ditto for stuff like Slipknot, Korn, and System of a Down. Megadeth's last album made it to #8, Iron Maiden finally had a single that made the top 10, etc. So metal is becoming more accepted.
I don't think this means that Decrepit Necrophile (I made that up) will ever get signed to EMI, but certainly radio play and better deals for some of the less edgy bands isn't out of the question.

Another thing, most metal bands on big labels during metals prime lost the labels a lot of money. Why would they risk money on metal now when metal is much less popular than before.

Back then, metal was popular. So the fans weren't all what would be considered metal fans.

I think it's Opeth.

I have been thinking about the new album, and I think that Opeth are going to finally take that step into the real mainstream.

And the good thing is, they're not going to sell out with the next album.

That Alice in Chains cover is gonna catch attention. Probably a video.

I still think Opeth doing an Alice In Chains cover is a horrible idea. Iron Maiden and Celtic Frost makes more sense but I don't see how grunge fits into Opeth's style of music in any way.

Enough about Opeth covering AiC ffs, there's already a 5 page thread on that.

Anyhow. Opeth definitely has potential for mainstream success - while they incorporate fuckin' brutal vocals at times, they definitely have an overall sound that people could get into. All they need would be a video or two of a song with little or none of the deep voxx.
Not that they necessarily should, but they definitely could.