Metal Mania Festival

|ngenius

Little Grasshopper
Nov 16, 2001
Barcelona
Visit site
Regardless the subject, the so-called Metal Mania was actually a "Howto" guide, that will be available on PDF format soon, and whose name can perfectly be changed to something more understandable, like: "How to fuck a festival up" or "Deal with it, if you can". If you don't know what it is about, the festival was based on the next bands:

Thursday:

22.00 - 23.00 THE BON SCOTT BAND (AC/DC tribute band)
23.00 - ¿00.50? DORO

Friday:

17.00 - 17.45 REBELLION
18.15 - 19.15 OVERKILL
19.45 - 20.45 FREE HOUR BECAUSE APOCALYPTICA HAD LOGISTICAL PROBLEMS.
21.15 - 22.15 SEPULTURA
22.45 - 23.45 NIGHTWISH
00.15 - 01.30 SLAYER
02.00 - 03.30 BLIND GUARDIAN
04.00 - 05.30 APOCALYPTICA

Saturday:

16:30 - 17:30 PRIMAL FEAR
18:00 - 19 :00 HAMMERFALL
19:30 - 20:30 BARON ROJO
21:00 - 22:00 SAXON
22:30 - 00:15 IRON MAIDEN
00:45 - 01:45 DIO
02:15 - 03:00 STRAY

Sunday:

17.00 - 17.50 DARK TRANQUILLITY
18.20 - 19.10 EXODUS
19.40 - 20.30 IMMORTAL
21.00 - 22.00 KREATOR
22.30 - 23.30 MASTERPLAN
00.00 - 01.00 STRATOVARIUS
01.30 - 02.45 MOTÖRHEAD

When I arrived to the (supposed) camping that (supposedly) was going to be our "home" during four days... I was close to get back to the civilization. The heat reached 40º C and there were NO trees, NO shadows where get sheltered and protected from the almighty sun. The ground was made by a strong rock and dust, so we barely achieved to fix our camping tents to the ground. Aside from the unbearable (and take this literally) weather, the ambient was too fuckin' dry, so my cut lips were. :(

To conceive an idea, when the sun rises in Villarrobledo, people can't stand outside but when swimming at the local pool, and the heat makes a zombie of you. There weren't showers enough, and people had to pay 1 € to use the bunch of them that were available (see? It was a "pay-for-everything" chupi market strategy). The food and drinks were offensively expensive, the town itself lacked of bars (and the few bars... were closed most of the times!!!!!) and the words "kind service" seemed long time lost and forgotten.

I got to be honest, and say the festival itself started quite well. On thursday, and after the settling process, I got relaxed and met some good friends of mine. I didn't care about the bands themselves, and centered my attention on the social side of the festival. Yeah, it was a very good night, so my mind tought there were no reason to be aware and expecting a bad turn of the events.

Friday, the sun rised and we were once again dancing into flames. And then, the social aspect of the festival died and never was back to life again. The people I was with started doing things at their own in reduced groups, and don't caring about anything else. Luckily, I was with a very good friend of mine, and the loneliness didn't bite me hardly, but it was sad to see people saying "you're not important at all" with the silent words of indifference. Anyway, I tried to live the festival the best I can, and think I succeed on this, regardless the conditions.

Three days of shows, and I missed a lot of them, mostly because of the heat, but also because bands like Nightwish or Immortal are not my cup of tea. To cut a long story short, let me comment the important events briefly and leave the rest to your imagination.

- Slayer: This band never meant a shit in my life, but there are bands made to play live, and Slayer seems to be one of them. The agressive indiosyncrasy this band has towards the gigs is legendary, and this time Kerry King and co. took no prisoners. About an hour and a bit of killing riffs and a savage sound were the cradle of their success, no matter if you like that kind of music or not.

- Blind Guardian: Even when this band uses to play regularly in my city, I never seen them before. It was a good show with a consequent good sound, but if it had depended on me, the set list would change.

- Apocalyptica: Undoubtably the best band of the festival. They are absolutely amazing playing live, the strenght and dedication they invest on the music are the perfect mix for the classical tinge the cellos have. Specially remarkable the labour of the two new members, a new cello player who played motionless but elegantly, and the astonishing and skilled drummer.

- Sepultura: Max is not there anymore, and that's quite noticeable. In any case they try to do their best, with poor results, imo. The band sounded bad and played fast, like a punk band, and even the old stuff was a pitiful proof of decadence. There were huge Sepultura fans who said they played quite good, but I guess it's a matter of tastes.

- Hammerfall: Please, stop letting the hamster fall, and free him. Boring songs under a killing sun that made play my nerves up. Hammerfall as a side project was more oriented than these actual pretended metal warriors whose conception of song is based on reluctant repetitive chorus like the one aforementioned "let the hamster... FALL!", and I seriously think that Greenpeace should take cards on the issue.

- Iron Maiden: I'm a Maiden fan, and I was pleased by this show. Bruce Dickinson singing pretty well, the guys running all around, and a classic set list that made that show delicious. As a negative note, the great amount of people, I saw Dickinson like a tiny He-Man toy from the point I were. They missed "2 Minutes to Midnight", "Running Free" or "Aces High".

- Dio: I left the show when the band started the second cut. Dio has a good voice, but I don't like his work out of Rainbow. According with the opinions I received, the show was quite good if Ronnie James matches your tastes.

- Dark Tranquillity: They sucked big time. Er... I was talking about Barón Rojo? Ah, no, no, Dark Tranquillity, alright. Everybody here knows that Dark Tranquillity are pretty brilliant when playing live, offering a dose of strenght, quality and a good performance, generally speaking. This wasn't so different, regarding the band itself. The sound was awful at the beginning, the guitars disappeared sometimes, the keyboard was too high, and the fuckin' and breaking heat above us were hard elements to deal with. Then, the sound got (a bit) better, and the natural DT force rised up. Mikael headbaning regardless the extreme heat, with his usual charisma and charming smile, Niklas and the rest of the band following their frontman the same way. I guess they ended up suffocated, and Mikael did some growling passages in clean vocals in order to take a breath, but it was a good and... very, very, very short show, unfortunately. Anyway, I was there mainly because of Dark Tranquillity, so it was worthy enough for me.

- Masterplan: Argh!!! It was another of my preferences, because of the singer mainly. Jorn Lande and the band came up with a bunch of songs from their album debut and then... the sound disappeared. At first I didn't hear a single tone of voice, the guitar was too high, there was no keyboard and the drums were worthy of the Sex Pistols. Then, the voice appeared, but the drums and guitar covered and suffocated it. They played no more than 8 songs and said goodbye. :yell: Shortly: Jorn Lande was not there, so... nobody was there at all.

- Stratovarius: I don't like this band playing live, but I should admit that they played and sounded so good this time. The show was unexpectedly so short, and Jens Johansson broke his keyboard because it sounded bad a couple of times. Curious.

- Motorhead: Dunno, I wasn't there. Motorhead means nothing to me, so I left. I can imagine how it was, anyway: Lemmy standing steady, and the rest of the band following his attitude. :p

Well, this is my short-long chronicle of the festival. I'm so tired and probably I've missed things, so I will add them later. Thanks for listening.

|ngenius.

- Dark Tranquillity: They sucked big time. Er... I was talking about Barón Rojo? Ah, no, no, Dark Tranquillity, alright. Everybody here knows that Dark Tranquillity are pretty brilliant when playing live, offering a dose of strenght, quality and a good performance, generally speaking. This wasn't so different, regarding the band itself. The sound was awful at the beginning, the guitars disappeared sometimes, the keyboard was too high, and the fuckin' and breaking heat above us were hard elements to deal with. Then, the sound got (a bit) better, and the natural DT force rised up. Mikael headbaning regardless the extreme heat, with his usual charisma and charming smile, Niklas and the rest of the band following their frontman the same way. I guess they ended up suffocated, and Mikael did some growling passages in clean vocals in order to take a breath, but it was a good and... very, very, very short show, unfortunately. Anyway, I was there mainly because of Dark Tranquillity, so it was worthy enough for me.

hi,! the heat was toooooo much for us man (sorry for that) we almost died on stage there 43 c in the shadow,.then regarding the sound! it was really really bad on stage to,but it was not our sound engener fault,or ours,they had (at the place) the biggest radio transmitter in spain,so all our wireless+amps fucked up totally coz of this man,we got spains nr one radio stations in the amps and so on,totally caozzzzzz,so our sound guy had to mute everything between the songs,and they also had problems with the power and so on,the list is long :Spin: ,we played for 50 min,so its not that short! but if we would play for one or 1 1/2 hour! then the band DARK TRANQUILLITY would be meltited away from the face of the earth dude,it was to hot+we got 50 min and not a sec more (strickt orders from the festival). but i really hope you had a great time anyway besides the sound problems and the heat ! coz we had...se ya cheers:wave::wave::wave:

Sounds kind of disappointing... why not carry some traditional cords and duct tape with you if this happens? unless al the wireless stuff is built in, I think it would be better to be plgged into standard cord sockets... well, I wasn't there, but nice to hear stories :)

Steve

@Warwick: Yeah, I know the bad sound wasn't related or intended by the band or your crew, of course. It was a short show whereas you were misplaced and underrated, imho, and I wasn't the only one thinking this way. Seen from your side, it would be better to play later and under the moon rather than a show under a killing sun at 5 PM, wouldn't it? ;)

And yes, I had a very good time, it is always a pleasure to see you playing live, guys, no matter how many radio stations are involved. ;) I hadn't the chance to have some words and a beer with you, people, due to the festival conditions and security barriers (I killed two guards before giving it up :lol: ), but anyway, there will be more chances (er... you pay the beer, I'll add the words :D ). Thank you for the show!!!

|ngenius.

P.S: Warwick wore a t-shirt without sleeves, shorts and sun glasses, if I'm not mistaken, fully dressed in black. But Mikael wore a shirt with long sleeves, black jeans and... he survived!!! You can change your name these times, and be known as Hot Tranquillity. :p

Reactions: wildfyr
50 minutes isn't short.
25 minutes was short for The Art of Noise Tour with Nile and Napalm Death.

|ngenius said:
@Warwick: Yeah, I know the bad sound wasn't related or intended by the band or your crew, of course. It was a short show whereas you were misplaced and underrated, imho, and I wasn't the only one thinking this way. Seen from your side, it would be better to play later and under the moon rather than a show under a killing sun at 5 PM, wouldn't it? ;)

And yes, I had a very good time, it is always a pleasure to see you playing live, guys, no matter how many radio stations are involved. ;) I hadn't the chance to have some words and a beer with you, people, due to the festival conditions and security barriers (I killed two guards before giving it up :lol: ), but anyway, there will be more chances (er... you pay the beer, I'll add the words :D ). Thank you for the show!!!

|ngenius.

P.S: Warwick wore a t-shirt without sleeves, shorts and sun glasses, if I'm not mistaken, fully dressed in black. But Mikael wore a shirt with long sleeves, black jeans and... he survived!!! You can change your name these times, and be known as Hot Tranquillity. :p
whell,i had black pants and a t-shirt with arms+sunglasses and i survived also (so you where mistaken,se ya next time):OMG: :wave:

Reactions: wildfyr
Really?! o_O Maybe... oh, shit, I was attending to the wrong show!!! Now, that flag of Ricky Martin placed on the stage makes sense. :loco:

Well, my memory loses its capabilites when it comes to aesthetics in men. It would be different in case of being a woman, I assume.

@Arch: The time depends on the band and its career. It is not the same to see Masterplan that is a recently born band, than Dark Tranquillity with more "classic" songs to play. Of course, it would be worse and see them playing 10 minutes. On the other hand, I understand that a band playing under those extreme circumstances would be pleased to play two songs and leave the stage, since 43 ºC is not a paradise, and they played the scheduled 50 minutes. :worship:

|ng (Fully naked) :D

I discovered a way to cool down when it's really hot :) I stuck my head out a car window going 95 :D nobody around, but it cools you down....

Steve

Considering the circumstances (I was aware of them before the show started :loco: ) I think it was a good show after all.
Regardless the heat, the crowd responded (very) well and :hotjump: during the whole show as if it was a day mid december.
The autograph session later on that day took what.. an hour?? Instead of 10-15 min. :OMG: so overall I don't think too many people took notice of the soundquality (I know I didn't....)

CU later :wave:
G.

Immortal... mmm *drools* :p

I saw Immortal last summer in Wacken and it was... :devil:.
The best live gig this year was Type O Negative which played in Tuska Festival last friday :p.

well as many of you may know i'm Spanish but I live on exile...yeah! I switched the heat...for...ehmmm...more heat!

that's why I didn't attend the fest in first place.
However many friends were there and I've got a some reviews so far. Some said Dark Tranquillity kicked major asssss...as always...But they all agree that it was way tooooo hot and that this problem with the radio corrupting the sound and the amps was simply a new form of cruelty!!!!

Personally I don't understand which is the point on bringing an amazing bunch of bands if the rest of the festival will be organized like crap.
Machina Festival (another fest in Spain) hadn't been really bad and the location was much confortable, full of bars, beach and everything.

Well it's the first year of MetalMania, let's hope next year the try again and the make it better as always happens in festivals (wacken, machina, and whatever) though I think that the heat is a problem that will always follow us, spaniards and southern europe fellas :cry:

fathervic (on exile)